Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Classics

Default Re: Air Classics

Quote Originally Posted by Wilnit
    I want to know what store's carry the magazine. I live in the Minden/Gardnerville, NV area and cannot find it. Any help would be greatly appreciative...
    Try the smokeshop in the shopping center at the SE corner of Winnie & Hwy 395 in Carson City. They have a great selection and I bet they carry the AC mags.

Gary
    www.propsracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar
    Bout that personal B-25, if I biotched about that, I'd just be expressing pure jealousy and I don't know if it's actually his or if he has a lease or rental agreement on it... that is, if we are to speak strictly factually....
    The B-25 "Executive Sweet" was purchased by Challenge Publications founder Ed Schmepf right after it was sirplused from Catch-22. It was actually part of a 3-plane fleet called the Challenge Warbirds, and they made appearances at warbird shows and air shows across the country in the '70's. Michael O'Leary took over Challenge Publications when Ed Schempf 'retired'.

In about 1985 or so, 'ownership' of the B-25 was 'transferred' to an organization called the AAF, which is American Airpower Foundation, or something like that...but all it was was a subsidiary for tax purposes...the plane IS still essentially Challenge Publications "private" B-25. Therefore, they use it as they see fit ('they' being interchanged with 'he', naturally).

So yeah, Guenniviere can use it as a private photo platform, and essentially use it's operation as a tax write-off, because it's a business expense.

Nice job, if you can get it.....

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon
    Nice job, if you can get it.....
    RRRRRRROOOOGGGGGGGGEEEEEERRRRRR That... ! Zactly my point tew

Wish I could afford gas/pilot/plane to hire a 172 fer sessions! And that airplane ain't half fast enough to do the job unless the subject is another Cessna...

Can't even imagine what the hourly cost for a -25 is! Been in one on a shoot but didn't get the tail or the open port, nasty plexi, along with some particularly chunky air spoiled any chance of a decent shot. Bout the best I can afford, if I can actually ever afford it, is John Parker and the PhotoSeneca.. and IT'S only barely fast enough with its top door off speed of 150MPH... really NOT fast enough unless you like shooting airplanes with their nose up hanging on the stall.. or jets with their speed brakes out..

Taint easy bein sleezy

Wayner

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar
    Bout the best I can afford, if I can actually ever afford it, is John Parker and the PhotoSeneca.. and IT'S only barely fast enough with its top door off speed of 150MPH... really NOT fast enough unless you like shooting airplanes with their nose up hanging on the stall.. or jets with their speed brakes out..

Taint easy bein sleezy
    Copy that! My very first air to air photo shoot was about 20 years ago. I was crammed--literally--in the baggage compartment of a friends Bonanza, shooting out the rear window. Now, you've seen me...I'm a big boy...don't fit too well in the baggage compartment.

But here is this Bonanza trying to keep up with Bill Haney in the P-51 Ho! Hun, Ray Stutsman in the razorback P-47 "Lil' Devil", a B-25, and a handful of B-17's! Cool...but not fun at the same time!

I'll take the back seat of a T-6 ANY day to shoot from.

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon
    I'll take the back seat of a T-6 ANY day to shoot from.
    Know what cha mean and they are faster (usually) than a nanza or seneca but IMHO, it's a lot harder to shoot to the side and back in a -6 than out of either of the above.. Problem with the Seneca, other than the tail being in the way, is the exhaust signature apparant on some shots if you're not careful with framing.. When I shot Jim Wright in the Hughes, it was out of their 1953 V-tail with the rear escape window taken out. Worked pretty darn well but we were topping out at about 150-165 and even that wasn't fast enough for Jim to keep the airplane level for me.

The tail off stuff from a -25 would just be an absolute hoot! Not that *IT* is the perfect place to be though.. Once again, you're limited in which direction you can shoot.. the T-6's with the turnable/gunner seat in the rear cockpit would be just about the cats arse I'd think.

Now, if we all pool our resources, skimp on Skippy and buy the store brand for our PB&J's, maybe in a decade or two, we'd be able to buy the AAFO.COM "good ship snappy pop" T-6 photo platform... ewe guys just keep clickin on that donation button, we'll get there, someday..

Wayne

Question on Rare Bear's canopy.

Does the bubble part of the canopy cover the "stock" canopy bubble opening or was the opening resized?

Speaking of Air Classics, I miss the old days where they used to publish the factory multiviews of the aircraft from their articles. Quite handy for modelers.

TTFN.....Kenn

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Speaking of Air Classics this month, I was thumbing through one at the newsstand and spied a photo that looked reeeeaaaalllly familiar to me on page 10.

Cool, but don't photogs get paid when they're published??

So is it still in your back yard?
    Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodeu
    So is it still in your back yard?
    Jarrod
    Don't I wish! I actually tried several times to buy one of Mr Soplata's T-6s while I was there, but to no avail.

Hi Randy -- No, Michael does not pay for photos. And yes, he truly is an ass...

Neal