Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Thunderbirds and....

Default Re: Vintage Thunderbirds and....

I guess I'm too young too!

I did see them in Milwaukee in 1970, in the F-4's, but I was only 5yrs old and don't really remember anything. I did get to see them in the T-38's. I never saw the Blues until they were flying F-18's!!!

I know my Dad has a few slides from the 60's when they were fying the F-100's. I need to try to get a hold of them and scan them.

Some more photos from the display at Chanute.

My earliest air shows were at Cleveland in the early 60's but the F4's are the earliest Thunderbirds that made a lasting impression on me.

I do remember that the local 60's Memorial Day parades used to get a jet, a F105C I think, from the ANG that would come in screaming and belching black smoke and flame out the back end just above the telephone poles and blast every ones ears out with a few passes. You could feel the heat from the exhaust if you were under where she would start pulling up! As a little kid, I thought that that was the best part of the whole parade!

TTFN....Kenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chanute-1987-acrojets-p80-ft501-a.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	3511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chanute-1987-skyblazers-f86-72910-a.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	3512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chanute-1987-thunderbird-f84-51531-a.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	3513  

the t-38's is as far back as i can remeber that t -38 photo brings back memoreys of that day i saw them when i was a kid mather afb i think it was

I remember the F-100's when I was a kid. Never saw the F-4's with either team unfortunately. When I got old enough to transport myself to shows the 'Birds were in the Talon and the Blues were in the A-4.

Anybody remember the "Four Horsemen"? They were a four-plane demonstration group that flew the C-130. My stepdad had several photo's (which we can't presently find) of them in action.

Leo

Whew!! I thought I was going to offend you by pointing out that those F-100's were Skyblazers, I'm glad you did that on purpose. I guess it's getting to be the season to pull out old photos and challenge each other like that!

S3g,
    I'm sure I was at that same airshow! I saw the T-birds everytime they were at Mather in the T-38. I was a cub scout when the T-birds first switched to the T-38, and I remember an article in "Boys Life" about them just after they'd switch from the F-4. I can remember I was thinking "WHY"? Hey, I didn't have to pay for gas at the time, I just wanted to see big, loud jets!!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

I'll always have the memory of my first T-Bird show. It was at Laughlin AFB(Dad was an AF career man)and they were in the F-100s. Back in those days, the guys were allowed to taxi right up to the crowd line. Having those pitots and intakes coming right up to ya when you're a kid of about 7 left a visual I'll never forget. Also, I've seen the T-38s and F-16s a lot.

The first Blue Angel show I saw was at McCord and they were flying the F-4s. It seemed they kept their distance(less overlap)in those big birds. It was an awesome show, regardless. Got to see them a LOT in the A-4s. Mostly at the Seafair Hydro Races in Seattle. Once, they flew a show at Mountain View when I was stationed in Alameda. We parked in the back side of show center, at the Lockheed parking lot and kept thinking......."Man, I bet if they opened the doors on that blimp hangar, that little A-4 could zoom right through there!"

To give credit to our Northern brothers, I've seen the Snowbirds 2-3 times, and they put on a great show, too!

GO
    www.propsracing.com

Gary,

Wingman has some pretty neat Snowbird shots, maybe he'll post a few of them here..

Wayne
    PS.. Viva Las Vegas!