Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nellis preview

Default Re: Nellis preview

Quote Originally Posted by Peashooter
    'Tis almost the seaon to quote: "You'll put your eye out with that thing, kid."
    Jean Shepherd was a boyhood idol of mine, and "A Christmas Story" is one of my favorite movies. In the same era my dad and I were ducking Helio Couriers and F-4s at Reading, I would huddle under the covers after bedtime with an illicit transistor radio listening to Shep weave his magical and subversive tales on radio station WOR. Good times.
    SteveZ

Tho a lot safer now (by necessity) I do miss the airshows when I was a kid. I remember the solo Thunderbird sneaking in at just under the Mach in the F-100, right over our heads and darn near blowing us down. Being right in amongst the aircraft on the ground.
    We used to park on the end of the Ontario runway and sit on the roof of the car. All the old prop airliners (and an occasional jet) would seem to just clear us on takeoff. and you could feel the heat from the AB on the Air Guard F-106's (F-102's?) that roared over us.
    And it was a real treat when LAX would get weather cus the ramp would be full of planes that normally did'nt land there. My dad worked for Lockheed out there and we could pretty much go where we wanted.
    Great!

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    I remember the solo Thunderbird sneaking in at just under the Mach, right over our heads and darn near blowing us down. Great!
    Leo
    Leo-
    Used to do it at Reno too, when you knew what to look for, it was VERY ENTERTAINING. Drinks spilling, women screaming, babies crying. (When you're crewing, you'd already been there a week, so it's just the type of amusement you're looking for).
    I tagged along with an employee of NASA for an airshow at Moffett. The area they set up for us was designated, "non-crowd". I was coming back from walking the flightline, when the Blues (A-4's) started there act. I heard a noise & screams, only to look up and see the solo's left wing tip go buy, not 15' away and at about 10' AGL. I wished I'd been ready with a camera, but all you'd have seen was a blue sheet of aluminum and a lot of rivets, AWESOME! But what REALLY impressed me, was a women who had back-flipped out of her lawn chair, and was already running away. OLYMPIC caliber reflexes..... ...................Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Hotel
    Jean Sheperd's "A Christmas Story" is one of my favorite movies.
    Ditto that...
    It may just be a generational thing to us old farts, but I'd highly recomend that movie, to anyone who hasn't seen it.........Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Hotel
    I would huddle under the covers after bedtime with an illicit transistor radio listening to Shep weave his magical and subversive tales on radio station WOR. Good times.
    KH, Nowadays you can steal away with your Sirius Radio set to Howard Stern, or maintain your terrestrial reception of Bob & Tom. Thank heavens for a little balancing Baxter Black. Beats "under the covers" with Diane Rehm. Peas
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder