Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nellis preview

Default Nellis preview

Oops I ment review.
    I was flipping through some old slides and ran accross these.
    There not the greatest but pretty interesting any way.

Default Re: Nellis preview

Victor,

What's the story on those two shots? Got any more? A quick search on the web shows that they only flew the Thud for 6 shows in 1964 before reverting back to the F-100.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rpzo
    Victor,

What's the story on those two shots? Got any more? A quick search on the web shows that they only flew the Thud for 6 shows in 1964 before reverting back to the F-100.

Rick
    No kidding Victor! That is extremely cool stuff you have there! I had to just about turn my head upside down before I realized that the second shot had an upright airplane B4 I could tell what to heck it was!

I did not even know that the T-Birds ever flew Thuds, even for six shows! In '64, I was 13 years old... I think, by then, I was getting past building model airplanes and being really interested in things that flew fast and made a lot of noise and had become much more fascinated with chasing and kissing girls.... *sigh* a "hobby" that led me astray from aviation and into music, sex, drugs and rockandroll until I was old enough to realize what to heck I'd missed out on!

But I digress.... tell us more about the history of these photos? Did you take them? Victor, if so, I did not realize you were old enough!!

Neat Neat Neat stuff!!

Wayne

Cool pics!......Have those slides been recolored in any way? Just wondering. I finally broke down and registered, I just felt so dirty lurking about all the time!
    Kevin

Those shots look like winter training up at Indian Springs to me...

Default Where did THUD perform in 64?

You know, I swear I saw the Thunderbirds fly the Thud when I was a kid. My Dad was a SAC pilot at the time, I would have been 9 that summer. I distinctly remember seeing them in the F-100's over Fort Peck Reservoir and at Glasgow AFB in NE Montana in those "formative years". I remember them in the Phantoms, never saw them in the Talon. Does anyone know how to find out where they flew that summer? My Dad may have slides in his archives that I could dig through.
    Bill
    Never mind. Maybe next year

Yeah....you could ask me, Bill. :-) I've got a list at home.

They only flew six shows. One of them was at McChord. In fact, I think the McChord show was the last one they did. The accident was at 'arrival' for the next one.

The Thud was a pretty awesome looking bird in the T-birds scheme. Nothing can touch them in the Phantoms, though. (You didn't miss a thing in the Talons).

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder61
    Oops I ment review.
    I was flipping through some old slides and ran accross these.
    There not the greatest but pretty interesting any way.
    Note the dirty tail! Cool. Also the angle of attack is the same whether inverted or upright. Interesting.

"Hey baby, wanna see my dirty roll?"
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Here's a link to some info on the T-bird F-105 crash.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/PRPhot...licF-105-2.htm
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Remember these were the original "B" models, very few of which were built and none of which saw combat (they wound up in guard units but I can't remember where, maybe DC or Dover or Hill). You can tell from the shorter nose than the D, F, and G models had. And they were never modded with the "Thunderstick II" mod which added a fairing down the spine of the airplane from the canopy to the vertical fin. The B model also had conventional round guages rather than the vertical tape instruments the other models (along with the F-106, F-111, C-141 and C-5 had).

Never got to fly the Thud but got to train with them in hunter-killer teams when I flew the F-4. It couldn't turn, climb, or go very high, but it was SO much faster (down low) than the hard wing F-4E and F-4D, I'm talking over 100 knots faster, and according to my old flight commander who had flown them an absolute cadillac of an airplane if you like to go low, fast, be very comfortable in the big cockpit, and be so stable you can trim it up hands off and it's like "flying your house from the front porch" (direct quote). OF course the LONG takeoff roll, the final approach speed (for the G model) of 208 knots, and a tailhook only good to about 80 knots presented huge challenges, as did air refueling at 320 knots where they had to have their flaps out to keep from stalling.

Ron Henning
    Ron Henning