Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jelly Bean Treat

Default Re: Jelly Bean Treat

Dave's hit on an issue that really is an issue in the corporate legal departments when it comes to putting their name on anything that is aviation related and could be considered "non-standard" I don't want to mention company names but I can think of one really high profile company that *is* pretty well involved with supporting classic aviation but they are EVER so careful to ensure that they are not held liable for anything and they absolutely will not have anything to do with airplanes that are raced.

Very good point indeed Dave!

Wayne

PS, Tim, on just exactly how much exposure the sponsors do get out of the one shot at Reno. I'd really like to figure a way to calculate how much they really do get. A quick for instance would be the MotoArt guys on cable now. That picture of Voodoo on the wall that is so clearly shown in so many shots. I wonder, if it had a big PEPSI or something like that on the bottom of the wing, would it get seen? Or would they blur it out?

But it is an example of ways that the sponsors do get exposure beyond that which is "just" at Reno.. It really is too bad that Oshkosh is so far away, or that it is so expensive to go to *any* show. I'd love to see a "circuit" of demonstration races several times a year but even that is just too darn spendy to be supported with the current level of inbound money to the teams. Shows don't have enough, usually, to pay, say six airplanes to show and "race".. it has to be a sponsor backed deal..

Once again I'll say, enjoy what you have now!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    I guess this does qualify as a visible sponsorship...
    LOL Neal, to say the least ey... Sparky always seems to be a very "photogenic" airplane, a bit different this year (understatement) but still looks pretty darn shootable.

Nice job of exposure on the pylon shot.. looks like a very difficult situation but you pulled it off, as usual.

Sure can't do that on autoexposure can you

I miss you guys! Wish you and Birgitta could hop a plane and make it down to Nellis!!

Wayne

Unregistered Guest

Hi Wayne -- Thanks for the compliment -- it truly was The Year of Bad Light! As always, though, those shots that did work were often both beautiful and unusual. I had a new toy this year -- a 300 mm F4 lens with internal focusing motor that is both really fast focusing and stupendously sharp. This helped my percentage of reasonable shots even in frustrating light.

Would love to come to Lost Wages! I think we need a sponsor!! LOL.

By next year we'll be retired and living much closer -- that'll make all sorts of things a lot easier....

Neal

As requested I have posted a few more images from the photo mission. I hope everyone enjoys them. That sponsor really does look good on "Sparky". It has really grown on me. Makes the racer that much more colorful, not to mention different.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halloween Flight.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	3488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halloween Flight-3.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	3489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halloween Flight-4.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	3490  

That picture of Voodoo on the wall that is so clearly shown in so many shots. I wonder, if it had a big PEPSI or something like that on the bottom of the wing, would it get seen? Or would they blur it out?
    I would suspect that the production company would have sought a sponsorship from Pepsi, or else asked them to remove/relocate such a poster.

Product plugs seem to be popular on TV shows. If you ever watched Seinfield, you may have noticed a mtn. bike hanging in the hallway on a hook (I THINK it was seinfield). Klein Mountain Bikes paid a pretty penny to have that bike (and it's name) visible in each episode. I also read that when you see a can of coca-cola or some other product on a table or counter on in an actor's hand, money changed hands for it to be there.

Movies too. Reeses Pieces candy were seen and used in Spielberg's "E.T.", only because M&M's didn't want to pay for the exposure.....Bad move, as Reeses Pieces became very popular after that movie became a hit.

I do not know if this is true for real-life programs like "wingnuts" though. It's a definite possibility.

The Reno Gazzette Journal said he only got about $9,000 from the sponser, and that he was the corprate pilot for Jelly Belly, I'm trying to find the article for exact numbers.

Even so.....$9000 makes a pretty decent dent in the gas bill for the week! Every little bit helps.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
    Product plugs seem to be popular on TV shows. If you ever watched Seinfield, you may have noticed a mtn. bike hanging in the hallway on a hook (I THINK it was seinfield). Klein Mountain Bikes paid a pretty penny to have that bike (and it's name) visible in each episode. I also read that when you see a can of coca-cola or some other product on a table or counter on in an actor's hand, money changed hands for it to be there.
    Movies too. Reeses Pieces candy were seen and used in Spielberg's "E.T.", only because M&M's didn't want to pay for the exposure.....Bad move, as Reeses Pieces became very popular after that movie became a hit.
    As I have some experience in this area, product plugs can be very sketchy. Many times you will pay for placement in shows or movies and your product will not show up. You are at the mercy of those who put the film on the cutting room floor. Unless you pay BIG BIG dollars, they aren't going to go out of their way to make sure your product is front row and center.

I can tell you that bringing sponsors onboard is a very difficult process. You are right Wayne, it is all about the numbers, number of people that will see the add and time of exposure that add will get. The only way we have made ourself attractive to the sponsors is with the airshows attached with the Reno schedule. Discovery, Discovery Wings and ESPN and the LARGE airshows are a big part of getting the number of views up to a point that it makes it worth while for sponsors to look at aircraft for billborads.