Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: What were the top 15 Best racing years of Reno?

Default Re: What were the top 15 Best racing years of Reno?

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    One of the cool things about the bronze and medallion sport races have been the planes running nitrous. Now they are getting to where they can run nitrous for the full race, but a couple of years ago the nitrous systems would only last for a couple laps. And it became a strategic move for light off your nitrous at the right time to make a pass or to hold a position.

2019 #2 Vince Walker with nitrous beat #181 Karl Grove with turbochargers.

Rerouting form up and chute approach sounds doable and fun. Needs to be addressed quickly with PRS around the corner.
    I can recall helping Greg Shaw set up the ADI and spray bar water regulators for the bearcat. One lovely evening in front of the hangar we were making a small flood testing/adjusting the regulators. Once he realized I understood how they worked he smiled and we laughed for a moment. Then we had to test the nitrous, we had to know how long it would last with several different nozzle sizes. The airplane was in a ****ty T-hangar behind the fire station at KVNY. Greg decided that I was the perfect person to put in the cockpit for these tests. There was no nitrous button in the bearcat, it was a valve with a lever mounted on a side console in the cockpit. Greg gave me the signal and I flipped the lever, everyone seemed a bit startled by the the noise and they backed up out of the hangar through the open front doors. This lasted 10 minutes until it finally petered out. To say I might've been a little loopy getting out of the airplane would be an understament. But the rodeo went on and we'd go through ritual of loading the nitrous that fans have seen in the pits at Reno multiple times in that hangar in Van Nuys. It reminds me of a S&W 500 (I have a 6.5"), it looks like a cartoon or a comic but it actually works. I miss the 3-blade prop.

Default Re: What were the top 15 Best racing years of Reno?

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    I can recall helping Greg Shaw set up the ADI and spray bar water regulators for the bearcat. One lovely evening in front of the hangar we were making a small flood testing/adjusting the regulators. Once he realized I understood how they worked he smiled and we laughed for a moment. Then we had to test the nitrous, we had to know how long it would last with several different nozzle sizes. The airplane was in a ****ty T-hangar behind the fire station at KVNY. Greg decided that I was the perfect person to put in the cockpit for these tests. There was no nitrous button in the bearcat, it was a valve with a lever mounted on a side console in the cockpit. Greg gave me the signal and I flipped the lever, everyone seemed a bit startled by the the noise and they backed up out of the hangar through the open front doors. This lasted 10 minutes until it finally petered out. To say I might've been a little loopy getting out of the airplane would be an understament. But the rodeo went on and we'd go through ritual of loading the nitrous that fans have seen in the pits at Reno multiple times in that hangar in Van Nuys. It reminds me of a S&W 500 (I have a 6.5"), it looks like a cartoon or a comic but it actually works. I miss the 3-blade prop.
    Flippin' hilarious! Great story...yet another anecdote that adds so much color to this sport. Thanks for sharing that little nugget!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/