Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reno '21 Unlimited News

Default Re: Reno '21 Unlimited News

A handful of racers running 480+ would be cool, but to the naked eye, can the average person tell 480 from 450 without the announcers saying something? Sure there are people sitting there with a stopwatch, but I don't think I could tell if I didn't know what a wound out Merlin sounded like. I'd be totally happy with a group running in the 450s. There have been a lot of years were the top speeds on Sunday were 460 or less, for the Gold. I'd be thrilled to see Dreadnought, Czech Mate, Miss A, and say, a Super stock Grim Reaper running in the 450s. Get Spirit of Texas back to run with Sawbones, with whoever else bumps up from Silver should they want to in order to fill out the field.

I think it would be every bit as entertaining as Voodoo, Strega, Rare Bear, all running 490+. No the mega WOW factor isn't there at 450, but still, 450 isn't slow. Its not as fast as 490, but when was the last time you saw anything going an average speed of 450 mph 70 feet off the deck racing something else?

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    A handful of racers running 480+ would be cool, but to the naked eye, can the average person tell 480 from 450 without the announcers saying something?
    I probably couldn't see it, but I'm pretty sure that I could hear it.

As for the question, I would rather see 5 legitimate contenders and a close race, than a parade with the leader at 480mph.

Also, I could be completely wrong, but I believe that a very close field would tend to lead to faster times in future years. With a bunch of close airplanes, there is probably more incentive to push for a bit more speed. With one or two really fast planes, the gap may be too big for people to invest in incremental improvements, since it wouldn't likely lead to a win.

I?d like to think I could see the difference between 490 and 450, but I could for sure hear it. It is certainly rarified air. I?d love to see 4-5 racers hunting Dread. Without the upper crust out there battling the realm of survival of 470+, it?s the next best thing we could possibly see. I?m happy to watch any laps by anything though.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!