Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mark Kaillo

Default Russian Invasion/Canada

......they are coming in non delivered (to Russia) P-39's...
    stashed scince lend-lease times...........

.........using hockey players as special forces (already trained to fight !)

....so don't call me hose-head in church eh ?.....

.......just fun....I did a year of high school in Winsor,Ontario
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Default Re: Russian Invasion/Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mayday51
    ......they are coming in non delivered (to Russia) P-39's...
    stashed scince lend-lease times...........

.........using hockey players as special forces (already trained to fight !)

....so don't call me hose-head in church eh ?.....

.......just fun....I did a year of high school in Winsor,Ontario
    Did you ever attend the Windsor "ballet?"
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Re: Mark Kaillo

Hello !

Wasn't it Mark Kallio who came up with a story of the Miss Ashley II:s new arrangement for the prop pitch control auxiliary power unit ? I recall normally a Mustang uses the engine power to operate the pitch of the prop. Now when in engine out situation it goes to flat pitch...to avoid this Miss Ashley II had an auxiliary power unit to regulate the pitch in all situation. Was this system proved to be trustworthy in all situations ?

Is that story somewhere in the net for folks to see. I think it was very interesting.

best regards,

Juke T

Default Re: Mark Kaillo

Quote Originally Posted by Juke
    Hello !

Wasn't it Mark Kallio who came up with a story of the Miss Ashley II:s new arrangement for the prop pitch control auxiliary power unit ? I recall normally a Mustang uses the engine power to operate the pitch of the prop. Now when in engine out situation it goes to flat pitch...to avoid this Miss Ashley II had an auxiliary power unit to regulate the pitch in all situation. Was this system proved to be trustworthy in all situations ?

Is that story somewhere in the net for folks to see. I think it was very interesting.
    Juke, you are correct, Miss Ashley did have an emergency system that used a separate power source to help ensure that the blades did not go into flat pitch in the case of engine failure. According to Bill Rogers, it had enough power to give them two full cycles of the prop using it.

I don't remember if it's mentioned in any of the articles we featured about the airplane on this site but a search via the box on the main page of the site should yeild a "few" minutes of reading on the airplane. We (Mark and I) were lucky enough to be the "first" to report on this airplane waaaay back when we were even luckier to get first photos from a reader who just happened to be out at the field during some taxi testing.

To say that the story opened some doors would be an understatement!

Wayne

Default Re: Mark Kaillo

At least that way they could have avoided the fatal flaw in the RB.
    I remember that sound when the props went flat. Eerie. And I'm sure Steve did'nt like it much.

leo