Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XP-82 as a racer ?

Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Sani???

Nooooooo! Don't say the "S" word. We don't want to relive that do we?

I was thinking the same thing!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

I was thinking the insani....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP6xKxrpBOY

At 4 minutes ...a thin wing in a prop plane.

The V12s are 60 degrees for the same reason that most V6s are 60 degrees. To get a v12 of 90 degrees to fire evenly, a bizarre crankshaft with split throws that weaken it would need to be used. 60 degrees makes for a much "narrower engine" as well which reduces frontal area.
    Last edited by IcePaq; 11-19-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aerojock View Post
    Nooooooo! Don't say the "S" word. We don't want to relive that do we?
    I actually remember that time fondly.. (not... dot dot dot… LOL) it was all part of the gaming of it all.. There was stuff coming from the real crew guys, then "we" had "Sani" LOL!!!

Sure it was pure Bullshark but.. I miss Sani and STILL to this day, with all my sleuthing I have yet to figure out just WHO Sani is!!

Best friends with DB Cooper???

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

I actually remember that time fondly.. (not... dot dot dot… LOL) it was all part of the gaming of it all.. There was stuff coming from the real crew guys, then "we" had "Sani" LOL!!!

Sure it was pure Bullshark but.. I miss Sani and STILL to this day, with all my sleuthing I have yet to figure out just WHO Sani is!!

Sani was Jabba’s distant cousin, if I recall, and only skyjacked discussion threads (not airliners)based in the Pacific Northwest...

Sani was Jabba’s distant cousin, if I recall, and only skyjacked discussion threads (not airliners)based in the Pacific Northwest...

It's hard enough to fund 1 racing Merlin I don't think it would be as fast as everyone thinks it would be on the course. There are a lot aerodynamic drag issues...not that it wouldn't look spectacular going around the pylons. I sure wouldn't want to get behind it either!

Jim
    Last edited by Harley909; 11-23-2018 at 01:53 PM.

I was thinkin on one of my long fatbike trips one really aerodynamical solution...I am not sure is it legal to race in Reno.

The solution is to put the electric engine in the spinner and shaft mounted in the firewall/fuselage then the batteries and then cockpit after that would be a modest IC engine which charges the batteries..on the ground and when airborne.

It would be a hybrid...but is it legal in the gold final ?

http://p38assn.org/Personnel/images/sketch.png
    http://p38assn.org/development.htm#

Kelly Johnson considered the P-82 configuration when designing the P-38, so that gives you some idea of how it would do around the pylons. As a thought experiment I tried sketching a clean sheet racer that didn't depend on any warbird parts or engines (basically a second attempt at a Pond Racer style project). There is so much extra drag (frontal area and intersection area), system complexity, and weight, when you "add on" a second engine, it's almost not worth it.

The electric motor in the spinner is bad, because now you're slinging around the motor inside the spinner. Something is going to break. Unless you have some power and weight numbers my initial thought is a hybrid system is more complexity, at more weight, for less power. And the electric motor would be very questionably legal.
    "young" Thomas