X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T. Adams
    replied
    Re: 1D vs 40D

You should like it. I'll have mine at Road America that weekend.

Leave a comment:

• HiredBitSlinger
    replied

Well, I did it. Bought my 40D. So far I am real impressed. Just playing around shooting yard birds and traffic driving by. First real event will be races at Laguna Seca, May 16-18.

Dan Plunkett

Leave a comment:

• HiredBitSlinger
    replied

Originally posted by Funflyer
    Dan, Have you considered the new 450 which has just been released. From what I understand it is very comparable to the 40D with the same AF etc. I believe the asking price is $799. Rad
    I am assuming the 450D is the new XSi.
    I've looked at the specs, and while the AF is improved, I don't know if I would say it is the same as the 40D. It shares the DIGIC III processor, but I believe that process the images.

In addition, my number 2 requirement is for an increased buffer. The 40D has 19 RAW images, while the 450D is 6.

I am waiting to see some reviews. Haven't actually seen the price on one yet.

Dan Plunkett

Leave a comment:

• Funflyer
    replied

Dan, Have you considered the new 450 which has just been released. From what I understand it is very comparable to the 40D with the same AF etc. I believe the asking price is $799. Rad

Leave a comment:

• HiredBitSlinger
    replied

Originally posted by Funflyer
    I have both the 300 and the 40D and shoot through the 100-400 IS. The AF tracking is so much improved on the 40D that I hardly miss a shot and all I shoot is aircraft. Just put her in AI servo mode with center focus and away you go ( Rapid fire ) Rad
    Thats the comparison I was hoping for. I knew the 40D would be an improvement, but how much? I knew the 1DIIN would be over the top better, but turns out, prpbability not going to happen. So, I didn't want to have this big build up for the 40D, and then its AF is only a bit better. I knew the camera has many features the I do want, but, I am changing because I want a significant increase in the AF.

The 300D has been a fine camera. I have learned a lot with it, but I am feeling its limitations. That being said, it may take a while for me to afford it, but at least I know what to get.

Going to the Sacramento Capitol Air Show in March. Don't think I can swing it before then, but hopefully by Reno.

This has been a really good thread. I would like to see more photography discussion. More pictures to. I read other photographic sites, but most of them are a wound a little tight when it comes to photography. This site has gearheads and airplane crazies who are photographers. Just like me.

Dan Plunkett

Leave a comment:

• Funflyer
    replied

I have both the 300 and the 40D and shoot through the 100-400 IS. The AF tracking is so much improved on the 40D that I hardly miss a shot and all I shoot is aircraft. Just put her in AI servo mode with center focus and away you go ( Rapid fire ) Rad

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

Originally posted by T. Adams
    Sometimes it's hard, but AF is the way to go
    I completely agree, with the exception (not very often) of when you're taking a carefully planned static shot....

For action, I'm completely at the mercy of my AF system! One of the reasons I was/am happy with the D2 series Nikons and didn't even consider the D200 when it came out was that the AF system on the 200 was less capabile than that on the D2 cameras.

With the release of the D300 Nikon, the ballgame changed because the D3 and D300 share the same, superior to the D2, AF engine!

Amazing thing about guys like Wingman and Bucky, well I'm not sure how Bucky shoots but Neal has told me that he does not often use AF... Same with Shawn Aero....

Talk about aliens!

I think Victor and Tim are very good examples of what you can achieve if you practice PRACTICE PRACTICE and then PRACTICE!!! some more!

I was having problems with my new (heavy) 200-400 lens at Reno and Victor immediately told me to get some weights that were heavier than the body/lens combo and work out... then when you lift the combo, it's light and you're steady.... We get to see these guy's work but we don't get to see them working off season to get ready for their work!

I don't know if I'm dedicated enough to equal or even get close to Victor, Tim, Bucky, Wingman, Cobra and some of the others here.. But I'm sure that practice REALLY helps!

I live at the beach and have birds flying around all the time.. A good friend from Hawaii told me she practices by shooting birds.. a good giggle was that when she first said it.. I thought she meant SHOOTING birds!!!!

Yech!!!!!!!! And here I thought only us guys would do that stuff!!!

Anyway.. Neat thread!!

Lots of talent here, sharing techniques.... wow... what a valuable asset that is!

Thanks to all who contribute here!

Leave a comment:

• T. Adams
    replied

Sometimes it's hard, but AF is the way to go. Your really not at infinity when your shooting. Setting it there gets you slightly soft images. Yes it will hunt if you lose the plane, but it locks right back on when it sees it again. I look back at my old manual focus shot when I had my Minolta X-700 and just cringe. They are not even close to the results I have with AF.

In one of John Shaw's nature photography books he talks about being leary of AF when the first AF Nikon's came out. As an test he took a roll of 36 exp. film and shot a Thunderbird solo jet with the AF on. All 36 were dead nuts in focus. That was the end of his manual focus days.

Leave a comment:

• Bill@Interstell
    replied

Originally posted by HiredBitSlinger
    What was your previous camera. Digital or film? One of my concerns is the Auto Focus. I know it is better than my 300D, but kind of trying to get a comparison from somebody who has used both. With the 300D it difficult to maintain focus on an aircraft(s) coming down towards the home pylon. The camera tends to want to hunt between shots. I do it, but I would like to improve my keeper rate.

Then I look at Victors pictures, and I just want to sell the whole thing and take up stamp collecting.

Dan Plunkett
    The 40D is my first digital SLR and my first departure from film, at least for stills. I have a Canon XL2 video camera. My dad was a fairly well know photographer, and I've inherited a bunch of really nice film equipment so it was a difficult choice.

I had been using his set of Minolta Maxxim 7000s. They have autofocus lenses, but generally I just turned AF off and used manual focus. The AF on the 40D is much faster and quieter, and seems to work pretty well since most racing shots are centered on the airplane. You have control of the focus points used if you're planing something off center.

Historically, I've stuck to manual focus, setting focus on the predicted location. This might me a habit caried over from shooting video. The problem there is AF fishing while one is looking for a small plane in the distance against a blue sky background. It's just easier to set it on infinity and leave it.

The downside to going with the Canon 40D for me is none of the Minolta glass fits on it. The Minolta lenses fit the Sony Alpha, so that was a hard choice to make.

I'm really happy with the 40D.

Don't sell the kit. I look to Victor, Tim, Bucky, Wayne and others on this site for inspiration, not discouragement.

Leave a comment:

• T. Adams
    replied

I have not used a 300D. or the 40D yet, but you can buy with confidence. Go to www.johnthawley.com He makes a living doing this so he needs cameras that work. He was using two 10D's when they came out, and then moved up to 20, 30, and now two 40D's.

That slideshow on his front page probably looks real familiar to mine. That's because it is. He is the one who told me about Soundslides Plus.
    Last edited by T. Adams; 02-07-2008, 09:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HiredBitSlinger
    replied

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
    I have never used a 1D, but I bought a 40D last September and used it at GML. I love it!
    What was your previous camera. Digital or film? One of my concerns is the Auto Focus. I know it is better than my 300D, but kind of trying to get a comparison from somebody who has used both. With the 300D it difficult to maintain focus on an aircraft(s) coming down towards the home pylon. The camera tends to want to hunt between shots. I do it, but I would like to improve my keeper rate.

Then I look at Victors pictures, and I just want to sell the whole thing and take up stamp collecting.

Dan Plunkett

Leave a comment:

• Bill@Interstell
    replied

I have never used a 1D, but I bought a 40D last September and used it at GML. I love it!

Some of you know I actually bought a 30D right before Reno and had problems with it. The lens would just stop communication with the body. When I got home, I took the 30D back to Best Buy where I bought it, and even though it was a couple weeks past their return window, they traded me straight across for the 40D. Therefore, I have nice things to say about Best Buy customer service. That's more than I can say for a certain new aafo sponsor that Wayne would probably prefer I not talk about here.

At any rate, the 40D is a much better camera than the 30D, It is 10.2 compared with 8.2. It has the sensor shake to fight dust. The other nice feature is it goes to sleep if you leave it on for a while without doing anything, but wakes up when you depress the shutter release half way. No drained batteries and yet you don't have to cycle the on/off switch to wake it back up either.

I only wish I could mount the lens from by XL2 video camera on it.

Leave a comment:

• ignomini
    replied

Incidently, I really love the idea of the dust cleaning system. Having chased dust for 4 years, I have worn out 3 cloning tools in photoshop.

Dan
    One more item to consider is a copy of Photoshop CS2 or CS3. Using the Spot Healing Brush (added in CS2) instead of the Clone Tool you don't have to option-click to pick up a sky color sample. With the Spot Healing Brush, it's one click/one less dust spot.
    Last edited by ignomini; 01-18-2008, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Victor Archer
    replied

but was hoping someone would say that maybe a 1DII was still a competitive camera.Dan
    I love my MkllN and I still use my 20D as a second camera.
    Jeff has a new rebel 350 and some of his shots are just as good as mine, when we are both using the 100-400 IS USM L. In part it's what can "YOU" do with the camera/lens combination and how much camera do you really need. As Wayne said in a second hand camera you need to find out how many cycles are on the shutter although I have almost 10X the advertized cycles on my 20D and my original 300 is still going strong with only one trip to canon. also another question is storage space and do you need large enough files to do a two page spread in a mag. My 500gig drive is now full as is my computer and my 350gig drive, oh and a 200 gig drive... KRAP... Thinking of what would be of most use to "ME" would be 10 to 12 mega pix and 5+ frames per sec.

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

Something important to remember with any used DSLR, shutter cycle life.

They are predicted to have xxx,xxx amount of cycles and it's pretty amazing how rapidly those can build up when you're not buying film and can just shoot away.

They can do and will wear out. The old original D1 that I had (still own it) had a number of issues repaired by Nikon under a single "major repair" bill of about $700. early in 2004... Actually took two trips to them (under same bill) to get it done... Good news was, the camera had all it's electronics replaced, new chip, circuit boards, switches... etc.. Essentially new body..

Save for one thing..

The shutter...

Apparantly, it was already failing when this repair fiasco began but it had not failed enough to get caught by Nikon techs.. (err... at least they didn't replace) By the time the second repair session started, I'd lost faith and bought the D2H thinking the D1 would make a nice backup..

Trying to make a long story short... though the camera has all new 'lectrics, the machine end of it is toast and it's a door stop.. what a waste!

Bottom line, no matter what a bargain a used body might be, pay heed to the fact that shutter predicted life cycle information IS available in camera specs and also should be available to read within the camera body...

OTT... there are probably some VERY good used body deals out there!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X