X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBriscoe
    replied
    Re: The last flying avro vucan bomber b2 xh558

I saw an active duty Vulcan which had flown combat missions during the Falklands War. It was at an airshow in Texas. It was quite interesting as it made a pass and popped the bomb bay doors open. Sadly, the aircraft and crew were lost not long thereafter.

I wish them good luck securing the funding to keep the Vulcan flying.

Leave a comment:

• FuryFan
    replied

My dad was stationed there from '75 to '81. There were many new aircraft that had just started flight testing....F-16, A-10, B-1A, YC-14 and YC-15, and the most memorable for me the Space Shuttle. NASA was also flying multiple SR-71's and YF-12 '935. I also remember going to Rockwell's facility at Plant 42 to see Columbia being built.....it was pretty awesome standing underneath it and looking at all of those tiles!

Dad worked at the Rocket Propulsion Laboratory, east of Rogers Dry Lake. That facility has so much history, it's too bad that we weren't there for the F-1 testing program. It would have been incredible to see a night firing.

I thought that I was going to "complete the circle" concerning the Space Shuttle program when I had the opportunity to go to KSC to watch STS 134 launch.......almost. Scrubbed due to an APU problem! Only the opportunity to see the mighty Saturn V took a little of the sting away. Fantasy of Flight was great, a ride in a New Standard D-25 most memorable. Oops....back to the initial topic.

Dad took me to my first air race at Mojave. I definately remember the Red Barron, and strangely, Cal Worthington racing a T-6. I don't remember seeing his dog "Spot" in the back seat though.

I reckon that's enough rambling for now.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
    I was lucky enough to see one fly at open house at Edwards. I think it was in '77. I remember getting off the shuttle bus and looking up as I walked between the hangers and the Vulcan was in a 45 degree banking turn with the underside toward show center. All four engines were in "reheat" and it just seemed to float, like it wasn't moving fast enough to fly........scared the s**t outta me 'cause I thought it was gonna crash! To a twelve year old it was sensory overload!!

I saw a lot of cool aircraft when we lived at EAFB, but the Vulcan is one of the best memories ever.

Kevin
    I must have been about 6 or so when I saw the one at Abottsford, perhaps 8 at most.

I bet you got to see the YF12s fly at Edwards when you were a kid. That would have been cool

Will

Leave a comment:

• FuryFan
    replied

I was lucky enough to see one fly at open house at Edwards. I think it was in '77. I remember getting off the shuttle bus and looking up as I walked between the hangers and the Vulcan was in a 45 degree banking turn with the underside toward show center. All four engines were in "reheat" and it just seemed to float, like it wasn't moving fast enough to fly........scared the s**t outta me 'cause I thought it was gonna crash! To a twelve year old it was sensory overload!!

I saw a lot of cool aircraft when we lived at EAFB, but the Vulcan is one of the best memories ever.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

It looks like there are a few Vulcans in North America. I'll have to go find them on Google Earth.

Will

Leave a comment:

• Avnut
    replied

S.A.C. Museum near Omaha has a Vulcan on display. Link below to their Vulcan page.

I remember seeing a Vulcan attend and fly at the Combat Air Museum airshow at Topeka, KS sometime in the mid 80's. What a sight to see.

Leave a comment:

• CRJpilot
    replied

Found this. . .

Turns out it arrived in Goose in '81 due to a fire indication and never left.

Vulcan Bomber

Don

Leave a comment:

• CRJpilot
    replied

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    I think there is only one in North America, its at Castle Air Museum.
    Not so. . .

CYYR - Goose Bay Labrador has had one on display for years.

Sorry don't have any other details.

Don

Leave a comment:

• SkyvanDelta
    replied

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
    Speaking of costs, the announcer mentioned annual funding that ran about $50,000 WEEKLY!!! That's about what it cost to get FIFI back in the air - one year of Vulcan upkeep.
    In the second video, just after the 4 min point, the announcer says 2 million pounds per year and 38,000 pounds per week. Is this what you are referring to?

That's a lot of money. How can they continue to raise those kinds of funds? Will they be able to continue to raise that amount for the next 5-10 years?

On their website in the FAQ section it says "Cost per hour to fly"
    Answer: "The fully-loaded costs of flying the Vulcan are just under £19,000 per flying hour; this includes fuel, insurance, aircrew, servicing costs, consumables such as tyres, oils etc. (4/09)"

The conversion to US Dollars, $24,500 per hour to fly.

As a comparison, what are the costs to put 1 or 6-8 Gold Unlimiteds Reno Air Racers on the track for 15 minutes or whatever long they're in the air?

Here are some photos I've found of the cockpit and interior.

Here's a 360 view: http://www.kenmcbride.com/National-M...Flight/vulcan/

rear crew 360 view: http://www.kenmcbride.com/National-M...light/vulcanc/

jackpot: http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...walkaround.php

Here's a cockpit photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidambridge/4776886266/
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Race 29
    replied

Castle air museum had an open cockpit day a couple years ago that I went to. I was able to go into the cockpit of that Vulcan. That was so cool! The guy that was taking care of her was in there answering all my questions. Super nice guy and very knowledgable! I have some pictures around here somewhere that I'll try to post.

Race 29

Leave a comment:

• V1670
    replied

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
    HOLY @#$! Now THAT's a picture. WOW! How often do you see that?

Nice pic, Victor (understatement of the decade)

Leave a comment:

• Victor Archer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MerlinV12
    replied

Their schould be more flying of the vulcan type

Leave a comment:

• MerlinV12
    replied

They have their own youtube channel now check it out https://www.youtube.com/user/VulcanXH558Video

Leave a comment:

• stuntflyr
    replied

I saw the Vulcan at Glenview Naval Air Station during the airshow after the 1966 National Model Airplane Championships.

I was about 6 years old and saw many great displays including Bill Fornof (often too low to see across the field) and the Blue Angels (parked right out amongst the crowd for all to touch).

The Vulcan was as if from outer space to me, the way it looked, it's shape and the way it flew. The hobby shop on site had stocks of Airfix Vulcan plastic models for sale of which I never had a hope of getting, increasing the intrigue for me.

Thanks for the links, it's a magnificent ship that they've performed miracles with by keeping airworthy.

Chris...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X