X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reever
    replied
    Re: Before it was Rare Bear

Trying to absorb over fifty years of information on the development of "Rare Bear". Should get college credits. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Plane Nuts
    replied

This is one of the most interesting threads. As a mechanic, gearhead and student of air racing I can really sink my teeth into it. The talent pool and innovative thinking that created Rare Bear I can compare to Smokey Yunick.

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Nope, I'm still waiting on the next installment. The thread did get a bit derailed however.

Will

Leave a comment:

• L.E.D.
    replied

No Sir, at least you didn't lose me.

There was some discussion of cowlings in another thread, and I note that in the latest versions of the cowl, there are no cowl flaps and in fact the only outlet for cooling air appears to be around the exhaust stacks. I'm not really clear whether that outlet has one slot for the stacks and another for air.

I guess my question would be, "Before it was Rare Bear" with the original DC-6(?) cowling, were there cowl flaps or was that all sealed up from the get-go?

Leave a comment:

• BellCobraIV
    replied

Did we lose everyone that was interested in this historically based thread?

John

Leave a comment:

• Lon Moer
    replied

What a unique coincidence .......this video was posted on the 'tube this morning.
    ed; Rare Bear part starts @ 9:12

Attached Files
    Last edited by Lon Moer; 12-21-2021, 06:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bigger Al
    replied

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
    I was trying to make a joke, sometimes these threads get a bit dark. My sense of humor isn't always funny to a lot of people, I meant no offense.
    I got the joke and chuckled quite a bit. There are a lot people who would take it as gospel. You didn't offend me in the least.

Leave a comment:

• knot4u
    replied

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
    Jeez, talk about getting some knickers in a twist.

No clue where they'd try it. Just some off-season speculation.
    I was trying to make a joke, sometimes these threads get a bit dark. My sense of humor isn't always funny to a lot of people, I meant no offense.

Leave a comment:

• Bigger Al
    replied

We can try to start a rumor that Rear Bear and Voodoo are going to finally figure it out once and for all in the high desert of Idaho. Of course that would be complete nonsense right..

(Two periods isn't an ellipse.)
    Jeez, talk about getting some knickers in a twist.

No clue where they'd try it. Just some off-season speculation.

Leave a comment:

• knot4u
    replied

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
    Maybe there's a record attempt in her future?
    Where would they do it? I doubt Joe Clarks ranch will still be available, but I don't know if that's true. We can try to start a rumor that Rear Bear and Voodoo are going to finally figure it out once and for all in the high desert of Idaho. Of course that would be complete nonsense right..

(Two periods isn't an ellipse.)

Leave a comment:

• Bigger Al
    replied

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
    This morning Ezell Aviation posted a 9sec video on their fb page with the comment:
    "Be watching Texas... she?s headed South!"
    You can see both four and three bladed props also on the trailer.
    Maybe there's a record attempt in her future?

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
    This morning Ezell Aviation posted a 9sec video on their fb page with the comment:
    Another thread has been started on this here. Mostly discussion about whether or not the three-blader's on there...despite it seeming obvious that it is!

Leave a comment:

• Lon Moer
    replied

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• knot4u
    replied

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    Not at all -- this is interesting. I'd never thought much about the oil cooling arrangement, in terms of where the air went.

First shot is blown up and enhanced from the already posted image. The next is similar but with less visible flow. The last seems to be pulling off the course with no visible flow. My guess is that this was a test run on moderate power -- he seems to be running fairly high.

Neal
    Third shot looks like a more normal spray pattern, if you look closely in shot 4 you can see the bottom of the oil cooler just above the exit. There wasn't much room for stuff in that portion of the airplane and it was crowded. I've worked on a lot of airplanes and that is still the most difficult, sometimes I'd question my sanity. But it came with a lot of satisfaction, friends and odd scars on my arms that I get to explain to my nieces and nephew. Look at the photo in your own post #112 in this thread with regards to cooling the oil.
    Last edited by knot4u; 12-15-2021, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wingman
    replied

Would you mind posting the other images?
    Not at all -- this is interesting. I'd never thought much about the oil cooling arrangement, in terms of where the air went.

First shot is blown up and enhanced from the already posted image. The next is similar but with less visible flow. The last seems to be pulling off the course with no visible flow. My guess is that this was a test run on moderate power -- he seems to be running fairly high.

Neal
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X