• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied
    Re: Officially cancelled.....

Originally posted by SpinB View Post
    RARA made a gutsy move...I think it's the right one, too! Even an 'inverted flat spin' can recover!
    Indeed! Given that the bastard virus is making a comeback wherever folks choose to gather without protection, i.e. where we've "opened up", this would have to have been the only choice they could make. If the reopening had been going better, and it looked like we're out of this thing, then taking the risk might have made sense... *might*

That event has operated on such thin margins for so long, I truly believe that one bad year, where the money had been spent and did not return, we'd lose this sport forever!

NOW..

It's up to US to not only keep the excitement level up, but bring in more people!

Once I get moved into my new house and can get all my files in one place, I'm going to do my best to make this site what it once was! We brought people in then, with your help we can do it again!

Leave a comment:

• SpinB
    replied

RARA made a gutsy move...I think it's the right one, too! Even an 'inverted flat spin' can recover!

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Yep. Hmmm, this could be fun.

Leave a comment:

• Air Boss
    replied

Originally posted by Leo View Post
    We have a pedal plane p-51 that is my son's. Get a kid for it (my son is 29 now) and have him run in circles on the ramp while a bunch of us locals cheer and make noises. I bet one of the local news would even be interested in a copy for human interest.
    Keep interest alive a bit.
    That'll work!

Not unlike this classic image from a few years back:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

We have a pedal plane p-51 that is my son's. Get a kid for it (my son is 29 now) and have him run in circles on the ramp while a bunch of us locals cheer and make noises. I bet one of the local news would even be interested in a copy for human interest.
    Keep interest alive a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Air Boss
    replied

Wayne, the reason you couldn't find the release yesterday was because it wasn't supposed to be released until this AM, as you know doubt know by now. Frankly it's more than a bit disturbing that the actual, verbatim press release somehow found its way to the IF1 FB page and then on to numerous other platforms, well in advance of the actual release. Apparently someone, somewhere, just couldn't follow instructions. Sad. Social media or no social media, if you're asked to withhold making any statement, withhold making any statement.

Leo, I think you're on to something! Lots of opportunity to put together all sorts of videos depicting race fans going thru withdrawals. The sight of near empty grandstands with a few folks sitting there, making airplane noises, heads moving left to right in unison, is funny stuff! There are some very creative folks out there...let's get busy!

As for what to do this September, few of my buddies from Home Pylon and I are getting together at a resort in Brian Head, UT, east of Bryce Canyon National Park, for a week or so. Between us we have trunks full of memorabilia, images, videos, etc. One guy has 8mm and VHS going back to early 70's. His birthday always falls during race week and this will be the first birthday he's spent away from the races in 50 years. He spent a few years with the old VHS "brick" camera on his shoulder dragging around a red wagon that held all the batteries, cables, and gear he needed to run the darn thing, everywhere at Reno. Now THAT is a Race Fan!

We'll sit around commiserating while watching hours and hours of all sorts of stuff, drowning our sorrows with adult libations, and as Leo said...making airplane noises! Should be a good time...but nothing like the real thing.

Until Next Year…
    Last edited by Air Boss; 06-26-2020, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lon Moer
    replied

Formal notice at RARA website;

https://airrace.org/ticket-options/

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed Bob
    replied

I guess we have to watch the protesters tear down statues,burn buildings, looting &taking over city blocks. Of course the NV Governor hasn't helped matters in all this with his new policies on the Corona Virus that took effect at midnight June26.

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Fred said -$300,000, and I read that 70,000 unique fans attended last year. Bumping ticket prices a few dollars can combat this pretty well. If you transfer already purchased tickets to 2021, you get to keep the current price. Seems like a simple way to handle some of the deficit...

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

I just had a visual of that!
    Hmm, I wonder how many of us could cram into the reserve section (they stand all year) and do that? Would make a great video of support for RARA.

Leave a comment:

• Bigger Al
    replied

Looks like my family and I will be at Stead on one day in September, sitting in lawn chairs and making airplane noises.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Damn. I guess it had to be and between the restrictions and the very real possibility of an anemic crowd, I get it.
    Yeah, the old DVD's and tapes will get a workout this year.

And Bob, have faith, you'll be going to these long after I am gone!

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied

What was the phone number of that addiction clinic?

September is gonna be rough...

Cheers,

Pete

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

From what I've just learned, this was not supposed to be public knowledge until tomorrow/today now...

From what I know about public relations and secrets, if you tell a bunch of people something, it will be public knowledge very soon. And I mean VERY soon!!

All things considered... JUST REMEMEMBER YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST lol!!

Sorry I didn't get to "break the story" myself, but dammy, you guys did it for me!! I love this place!!

Anyway, back to what I've been saying, it's going to be up to us to keep the interest up!! This sport has been in trouble before, we can keep it afloat!

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

This is truly interesting in that, airrace.org has nothing about it, I'm on the press release email notification list, I've received nothing..

Where did the original copied message come from ??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X