Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool video from NZ

Hi all race fans,

I know this is for the board, but at easter next year, Omaka aerodrome at the top of the south island will host the bi-annual Classic Fighters airshow. One of the goals for next year has taken a step forward. The airfield has been home to a Bristol B-170 Freighter since it was retired from NZ freight carrier SAFE air in the late 1980s. A team of dedicated volunteers have succeeded in the return to service of the port Bristol hercules radial, with work starting on the starboard motor with the aim of taxiing the aircraft during the airshow.
    Here is the film of the hercules awakening after 20 years lying dormant... I take no credit for this footage, it was shot by the Historical Aviation Film unit, links to their site from the video here
    Support HAFU by becoming a Subscriber at http://www.historicalmachines.tv/pages/fuel-to-noise. Bristol Hercules 14 Cylinder Sleeve Valve Radial Engine RunIn ...

enjoy
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Re: Cool video from NZ

Boy they really had to wind that rubberband up to get it to turn....

It is always good to see an aircraft come back to life after sitting for so long. I wish them boys in NZ all the best!

wolfee

Comment

Thanks! Here is the vid on how the sleeve valve works....

Voici une petite vidéo permettant de visualiser le fonctionnement du cylindre à chemise louvoyante.

Comment

Judging by all the smoke, we now know where all the world's surplus of oil has been hiding.....in the lower cylinders of that port engine!

It would really be something to see that ol' bird fly again...

Comment

I totally agree, lotsa oil in that port motor, and at this point the aim is to get the airplane to taxi under its own power, i think it would require major work to get the ol girl back in the air... but we live in hope.... Safe Air was the last major operator of the B-170 operating these awesome ol birds into the late 1980's...
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Working...
          X