Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Leeward Air Race Photo Memories

Jimmy Leeward Air Race Photo Memories-

Been a month now, and wanted to wait a bit before I resumed posting more raceplane photos of mine here on the board. So I deem the timing both fitting & appropriate for me to try now to get back into my favorite passion, by resuming w/this simple thread in tribute to the memory of air racer- Jimmy Leeward. Nothing fancy, just random photo selections fm the archives- featuring Jimmy flying his favorite raceplanes, taken over the years I've been an aviation photo-journalist. Hope you all enjoy them & that they bring back good memories of good times at the air races.

"Blue Skies - Jimmy Leeward"

Don 'Bucky' Dawson

Photos (L-R/Top-to-bottom):

1. Mon. 9/9/02- Portrait shot of Jimmy Leeward in the cockpit of his P-51D #9-"Cloud Dancer", w/Jimmy enthusiastically-responding to a greeting fm a good friend on the ramp, before lighting-off his RR Merlin V-12 f/an engine test-run. (This is how I wish to remember Jimmy in my own mind.)

2. Mon. 9/17/07- 3/4-frontal portrait of Race #9-"Cloud Dancer" on the Stead Field ramp looking the part of her given name, is one of my favorite captures of this shiny beautiful Mustang. This was taken on post-race week departures Monday, and that's actually Jimmy's son- Dirk in the cockpit,-conducting a pre-shutdown engine power runup following his taxi-in after making a flight.

3. Thur. 9/14/00- Shot fm Stead Field Tower, Jimmy Leeward & Cloud Dancer takeoff past Home Pylon for the start of UNL Heat-1B, w/his race #9 super-imposed nicely in place of the 'O' in RENO.

4. Sat. 9/16/06- Jimmy & Cloud Dancer come roaring-by Outer 6 Pylon during UNL Heat-3B,-glistening in the bright Nevada desert sunshine against a cobalt blue sky. This was my favorite-of-all racing configurations & color schemes for Cloud Dancer over the years. She just looked sweet & FAST!

5. Sun. 9/17/00- Exciting photo capture of- 'Unlimited Class closed-course pylon racing competition at its' best, showing Jimmy Leeward doing what he loved so dearly. Jimmy & #9-Cloud Dancer battle it out f/position with Brian Sanders' big Hawker Sea Fury #114-Argonaut going by the E. Start/Guide Pylon. Sanders prevailed to finish 5th @ 389.298-av/mph, w/Leeward flying on Brian's heels to come-in 6th @ 388.777 & Jimmy being hotly-pursued in-turn by the late/great air racer-Gary Hubler, who was flying Bill Rheinschild's Hawker #117-Bad Attitude @ 388.365.

6. Mon. 9/9/85- "Jack Rabbit Rouster"- Jimmy bought Wiley Sanders' venerable 2-time UNL Gold national champion Mustang- the venerable #69-Jeannie/NX79111 right after Reno '82 & tried-on a couple new identities f/his new race team stablemate to Cloud Dancer: Race 'X'-Specter at Reno '83 and #44-Leeward Air Ranch Spcl f/Reno '84, before settling-on the yellow-bird #9-LARS. This Cokin 'super-speed' filter special effects shot captures Jimmy's 8th-fastest 426.506-mph UNL qualifying run while flying right down-low along the W. Chute's "Valley Of Speed".

7. Sat. 9/17/83- The Reno-based Skyfire film crew covers the legendary aviator- Robert A. 'Bob' Hoover interviewing racer Jimmy Leeward about his newly-aquired Gold Unlimited Mustang NX79111- Race 'X' Specter and Jimmy's strategies for winning the trophy.

8. Fri. 9/16/11- 'Last Time Around'- Jimmy Leeward & NX79111- Race #177-"Galloping Ghost" are captured running very-fast during Lap-2 of this year's ill-fated UNL Heat-2A while holding-down 3rd-place ahead of Stew Dawson in #77-Rare Bear, just seconds before their tragic accident seconds later after turning Outer 8 to enter the main straightaway.

9. Reno '81- Jimmy Leeward & Cloud Dancer's sunset Stead Field arrival is beautifully-captured in a taxi-in profile on Kodachrome. Jimmy told me he absolutely-loved this picture, noting that the low-angle highlighting on Cloud Dancer reminded him of a fresh wild spring salmon. (He loved fishing as much as I do).

10. Reno '81- Jimmy Leeward sunset arrival silhouette portrait @ Reno/Stead Field, Nevada. "R.I.P.-JL"... DBD
    Attached Files

Re: Jimmy Leeward Air Race Photo Memories

I love those last two especially...
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Thank you Buck -- those do bring a smile, especially as I have seen and admired some of these shots over the years.

Actually, that last shot especially is pretty fancy!

Nice tribute so far...

Neal

Comment

Good photography as art "makes you feel." #6,8, and 10 do it for me....but if I had to pick only one, 10 is a masterpiece...good work, Bucky.

Comment

I have admired shot #6 ever sine it appeared on Pylon1. Any chance of buying a higher res version suitable for printing?
          Thanks
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by glider90 View Post
            I have admired shot #6 ever sine it appeared on Pylon1. Any chance of buying a higher res version suitable for printing?
            Thanks
            Jim
            Well, Bucky was kind enough to donate proceeds from that one to the Family Assistance Fund. Send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
              Well, Bucky was kind enough to donate proceeds from that one to the Family Assistance Fund. Send me a PM.
              I'd love a big version of that. It would make a bitchin poster.

Will

Comment

DBD-

#10 is the bomb!

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Brian (B2)

Comment

Originally posted by BKB View Post
                  DBD-

#10 is the bomb!

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Brian (B2)
                  Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to buy one of those myself. lol
                  And before this is all over with, I'll have to find a larger place to live, that has more wall space! lol

Comment

Thanks f/your kind words & compliments everyone.

DBD
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM. Reason: Remove inactive links

Comment

"Jimmy & The Jets!"

Though race fans remember Jimmy Leeward racing Mustangs in the Unlimited Class since 1975, he also enjoyed competing in the Jet Class & won the first Reno NCAR jet demo race in 2000 flying his Mig-17. Leeward handily-used his after-burner to shoot through the pack to snag first-place. If course, that was a big 'no-no'- which got him DQ-d, but race fans went crazy w/joy watching Jimmy come from behind to blow by his competition & it became one of those indelible moments in modern air racing history.

When the Jet Class was given official status the following year, Jimmy Leeward jumped right in entering w/L-39s for Reno '01*-'02 & '03 using race #1 ('02 only) & his favorite- Race #9 and names- 'Night Witch' & 'Speed Dancer', but wasn't successful in winning Gold in the Jet Class. Here's a few photos of Jimmy racing in the Jet Class. (* - '01 event cancelled by 9/11 in NY)

BTW- Today marks Jimmy's birthday & he would've been 75 today. "Blue Skies & Tailwinds Forever-Jimmy Leeward!"

DBD

Once again, here's the 'Think Kindness' photo gallery link to get some great air racing photos- including ones of Jimmy Leeward & donating to help out victims of this year's accident:

LoadedTV.com is your No. 1 Livestream & TV production company.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BuckyD; 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bucky, 2000 was another one of those special years. If you hung around after the Gold Race on Sunday you were rewarded with a relaxing atmosphere, good weather, and the great experience of being able to watch a(mostly) swept wing jet demo race. We fell in like with the beautiful Mig 17 with the flickering afterburner, shear acceleration and paid complements to Jimmy L afterwards. Then a little more excitement as Skip Holm went up to try for 500 in Dago. Too bad about the engine, but we were all glad he was down safe. It was an awesome day, my complements to the organizers and those on stage.

Comment

"Mustang Racing!"...

Jimmy Leeward's favorite passion for racing his two Mustangs in the Unlimited Class began back in the mid-1970s & most of Jimmy's racing time logged over the many years that followed was flying his original trusty stocker D-model stallion-"Cloud Dancer" (NL55JL).

Here's a selection of Jimmy havin' fun out on the racecourse while engaging w/a few of his friendly competitors in some- 'Mustang-on-Mustang' duels...

Photos (L-R):

1. Feb-Mar. 1979-Miami-Homestead Air Races, FL: A sharkmouth-festooned Race #9-Cloud Dancer rests on the early-morning Homestead ramp sporting Oogahonk racing canopy w/clipped-wings & Hoerner tips- looking all ready & raring-to-go turn the pylons in Unlimited Class closed-course competition.

2-3. Sat. 9/14/02-Reno NCAR-UNL HT-3C: Jimmy & Cloud Dancer challenging Dan Martin in #6-Flying Dutchman (N51AB) & then John Bagley flying Bob Hoover's old mount-#47-Ole Yeller (N51RH), which JB won.

4. Fri. 9/16/05-Reno NCAR-UNL HT-2C: Jimmy Leeward mixes it up w/Bill Eberhardt in #22-Merlin's Magic (NL151SE) in a battle f/first-place (won by Eberhardt).

5. Sun. 9/18/05-Reno NCAR-Bronze Final: Leeward & Dave Morss in Gerry Gabe's Allison-powered razorback P-51A #25-Polar Bear (N51Z) duel f/the lead (-which Jimmy won). Jimmy Leeward, incidentally, was one of only 3 pilots allowed to fly the EAA's ultra-rare XP-51 prototype after its' restoration, fm '76-'82, before it was permanently-retired fm active-flying status f/EAA museum display.

6. Thur. 9/16/10-Reno NCAR-UNL HT-1C: Jimmy Leeward's first UNL race w/his hot Mustang racer-NX79111,-as the ultra-modified scoopless Race #177-Galloping Ghost (-featuring boil-off system & Sumthin' Else racing canopy/turtledeck) saw Jimmy in a v. tight 'must-win' duel w/Dan Martin in #30-Grim Reaper (N26PW).

DBD
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

That shot at Homestead is great, Bucky! IMHO that was the best Cloud Dancer ever looked...shark-mouth and all. Jack Cochraine-built motor just never could put out the horsepower to make it go very fast, though.

Comment

Outstanding! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X