Red Baron...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Baron...

The Red Baron effort was, for the time, quite well funded. One of their great innovations was a real dedicated Race Truck! With spare motors! Not quite up to modern Strega or Voodoo standards, but something you didn't see very much back then...

Neal

Re: Red Baron...

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    The Red Baron effort was, for the time, quite well funded. One of their great innovations was a real dedicated Race Truck! With spare motors! Not quite up to modern Strega or Voodoo standards, but something you didn't see very much back then...

Neal

John and Bill Muszala together.
    Was that Homestead?

Comment

Yes, and thanks for the ID. I knew John (because he was a race pilot I guess) but not Bill.

The Corsair in the background was Howard Pardue's very first racing effort -- the start of a very long racing career.

Neal

Comment

Thanks Neal.

As much as the Red Barron was liked we sure dont get to see too many pics of her. I'm loving your posts with all this history.. Keep posting em dude!

Wolfee

Comment

I have quite a bit, but the quality is quite variable. You gotta remember that I was a real newbie back then. I was still trying to figure out this whole airplane-picture-taking thing.

Sometimes it all worked, but other times, well...

Neal
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pictures!

By the way, there are no bad pictures that have the Red Baron in them. :-)

Comment

Well now, I can only take your word for that, LOL...

For all the usual and obvious reasons I'm not going to post any of my good pylon shots, but there are some seconds that I'm willing to show. Remember that not only was I very new at this, but I was also using manual focus cameras, with manual exposure control, and mostly shooting Kodachrome at an ISO of a mighty 25! So be forgiving of the quality of some of this stuff...

Neal

Comment

Do you mean Unlimiteds can turn right too? Wow...

J/K AWESOME PHOTOS....

Comment

Anyone (who isnt on the 'usual list') want to take a stab as to why they raced clockwise at Mojave in the Unlimiteds? The other 3 classes turned the regular way on their 3 mile course at those events.

Comment

Probably reaching here... Prevailing winds and runway alignment for either maydays and/or take-off & landing.

--- added 10-11-11 @ 1905hrs : Search engine works great, provided one uses it before answering

--- added 10-11-11 @ 2154 hrs : Bet it has something to do with overflying a residential area when flown clockwise. )
                    Last edited by Tibia; 10-11-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Love the "reno" race #, upside down when flying fast, and turning RIGHT... Of course, either way works well with the RR Griffon, and contra-rotating props!

Joseph

Comment

I remember a race at Mojave where everyone followed Steve in the RB and all cut a pylon IIRC.
                        It was my 1st jet races and that was cool to see in the handicapped start they had.

Comment

This is a poignant picture -- it always makes me a bit sad. Steve Hinton and Karen Maloney on the right.

A couple of days later, both Steve and the airplane were wreckage. I'm eternally thankful that Steve is still with us...

Neal

Comment

Working...
                          X