Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What da Focke??

So lets talk butcher birds.

Assuming the oil cooling issues are worked out and we have a healthy FW-190 rounding the pylons, what kind of performance do you think we will see from it?

I can only assume that it wont be pushed as hard as it could be due to low hours on the plane and its rarity.

We can also assume that it will be faster then Air Biscuit and racing in the silver race since the same pilot is slated for both planes.

A FW-190 is a pretty clean airframe, and was a great low altitude performer in WWII. The 2800 is no slouch either.

Definitely faster then a F-4u Corsair, P-40 and an A model mustang.

But will it's reduced drag make up for the missing displacement when going up against 3350 powered Sea furys?

I imagine it will perform like a Yak -3 with a better wing.

Steadfast versus What da Focke will be a race to watch!

Re: What da Focke??

After seeing Steadfast this weekend at Santa Roasa, I'm betting that Steadfast has the FW beat hands down.. While it's going to be great seeing this thing fly around the pylons, I give it a low silver placing tops.. I may be wrong, but I just don't see the FW being that fast compared to some of the other unlimiteds.. Also, I'm pretty sure the F-4U4 is faster at almost all altitudes, so unless they have something secret packed under the hood. . . .

Comment

OK, I am confused.....Frasca's FW-190 Flugwerk didnt make it to Oshkosh due to the cooling problems.....have they been fixed and is it entered? With a good R-2800 and no armor/guns/etc it would be fun to watch in the bronze....

Comment

I'm thinking 3rd or 4th in the Bronze behind the battling Tigercats. The Silver may be Steadfast leading a bunch (7 or 8) stocker Mustangs around, or a #22/#33 battle with the rest stocker P-51's.

Would love to be wrong, and see it be Merlin's Magic, Steadfast, and #145 in a three way International battle!

Comment

I'll bet it won't place very high either, for lots of reasons:

1) It is a replica and doesn't have a lot of the aeronautical refinements that a purpose rebuilt Reno warbird has.

2) It is a rare airplane and I don't see the owners pushing it that hard.

3) It has barely flown since first flight. It doesn't make sense to try to really fly it competitively or fast when so much of it's flight envelope is still not known.

4) I'll bet it was entered more for the "flying for fun" category, kind of like "Air Biscuit" which is only a serious contender for last place.

5) Despite the fact that it is "based" off of the FW-190, it is still an experimental airplane and there have been numerous technical and engineering challenges in this design. Already two have been involved in serious flying accidents.

Regardless, I still think it will be fun to watch fly and if nothing else make history for Reno - once again!

Now, what I would really like to see would be a purpose built long-nose "Dora 9" Flug Werk, but instead of putting the Jumo in, put in a Shack Griffon engine with a baloney slicer. That would be purely badass!

Comment

[QUOTE=flyingjibus;81451]So lets talk butcher birds.

"I can only assume that it wont be pushed as hard as it could be due to low hours on the plane and its rarity."

I'd say that pretty much sums it up f/this bird's Reno racing debut - Bronze racer w/o a doubt (maybe bottom end of the Silver, which would be surprising).

Totally-cool that we'll actually get to see one compete at Reno (-a dream come true f/me personally, as it's my second-favorite airplane behind the P-38). I'm majorly-stoked!

Super Kudos go out to everyone involved w/this special happening f/this year's NCAR. We air race fans are pretty damn lucky to have the FW racing experience to enjoy, no matter how fast it goes around the racecourse @ Reno 2010. "BRAVO"!!!

DBD
            Last edited by BuckyD; 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Ok so this FW is a flugwerk machine, from what i can gather all of the flugwerke FW 190A's are powered by Russian Ash 82's which were pretty much a clone of the BMW 801 they orginally flew, and having seen the Ash 82 being flown in the Lavochikin La9 now owned by Jerry Yagen and man can that thing motor.... The La9 has all guns, ammo feeds and armour plating installed as they were critical to the C of G when it was restored,
              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                Ok so this FW is a flugwerk machine, from what i can gather all of the flugwerke FW 190A's are powered by Russian Ash 82's which were pretty much a clone of the BMW 801 they orginally flew, and having seen the Ash 82 being flown in the Lavochikin La9 now owned by Jerry Yagen and man can that thing motor.... The La9 has all guns, ammo feeds and armour plating installed as they were critical to the C of G when it was restored,
                Not necessarily a true statement. As mentioned earlier, Frasca's is powered by a P&W R-2800. The one that crashed off the coast of France is being rebuilt with something other than an Ash-82. I believe there might be one or two being built with an original BMW 801, a long-nose variant that was built with a 1710, but sold to a new owner and will have an original Junkers Jumo engine in it. Yes, the Ash 82's seem to be the most common, but not all of them have it.

Comment

Originally posted by NOVA View Post
                  Also, I'm pretty sure the F-4U4 is faster at almost all altitudes.
                  This FW has the same powerplant and MUCH less drag.

1) It is a replica and doesn't have a lot of the aeronautical refinements that a purpose rebuilt Reno warbird has
                  Most of the silver and bronze racer are not running any aero mods for speed. besides some motor swaps they are pretty much box stock.

Despite the fact that it is "based" off of the FW-190, it is still an experimental airplane and there have been numerous technical and engineering challenges in this design. Already two have been involved in serious flying accidents.
                  I think that any changes they made in the design would be as a result of improvements in materials and manufactering, resulting in a more solid airframe. I dont think any of the accidents involved structure failure

Most specs put the top speed of the FW-190 at 408mph with the BMW motor. Thats with armor and full weapons load out.

It seems like some of you forget or just didnt know what a successfull little fighter the FW-190 was.

The only thing that would hold What da Focke back from the silver is the pilot taking it easy.

Tom Camp is listed as the pilot. How will he fly both planes (Air Biscuit as well) in the bronze race?
                  Last edited by flyingjibus; 08-25-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

All good points there, Jibus, especially the last one you made & taking into account this year's thinned-out Silver Race ranks due to no-shows.

I'm all for the FW going fast in competition at Reno, but still can't see it being pushed very hard towards running at its' potential top speed just to take home a trophy & a few bucks. And talk about drag- there's that big ole' tailwheel hangin' out in the breeze. That's gotta cost ya a few knots of airspeed.

But then, just when ya think ya know- ya NEVER know! An R-2800 under the hood certainly speaks for something, for sure.

"GO-TOM-GO!"

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                      This FW has the same powerplant and MUCH less drag.
                      Ahh ok.. I was assuming it had the original engine.. In that case what I said was true, but if they both have the same engine then yeah I'd give the FW the edge over the F-4u4 assuming they are pushed equally..

Comment

I thought the final word following the Chino show was that it was a P&W R-2000
                        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox View Post
                          I thought the final word following the Chino show was that it was a P&W R-2000
                          I dont know for sure, but everthing I have read about this particular aircraft states 2800.

Comment

I thought the FW with the R-2800 is the one with a four blade prop that recently had a gear collapse incident??

Comment

This is what I know for certain:

The FW in the picture in my O.P. is Frasca's that was at Oshkosh. It has a P&W 2800 and a three blade prop. It has not suffered any problems other then an oil cooling issue.

This is what I dont know for certain:
                              If the FW entered in the races IS Frasca's, though logic dictates that it is, as there are only a couple of these around.

That the oil cooling issue has been fixed, though again logic tells me it has, but who knows when they paid there entry fee and how up to date the RARA list is (The list shows Furias on there, or rather Frious??)

Comment

Working...
                              X