Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    I have this whole incident on videotape as I too was standing out near the guide-pylon on "the road", and it really is a voilent impact as that poor little Yak gets tossed about the sky pretty hard. Sam did a great job saving it, that's for sure...
    Darned if I didnt loose my pic the the Yak taxing back with the damaged rudder....can anyone post a pic of the Yak with the damage? Thanks!
    That's one of those incidents like Kevin's "issue" last year I will never forget....
    Chris

Comment

"Heads or Tails?"......

Undecided? Well, you can always flip a coin...or- Try 'em- BOTH! +

DBD
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BuckyD; 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Heads or tails = both winners.

Comment

"Bomber Sundown"...

Sat. 9/18/82-Stead Field/Reno NCAR- A pair of WW2-era's most-famous bombers: The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress & North American's B-25 Mitchell are chocked-down f/the night between sorties @ the air races. The Mitchell was fm Don Davis'- 'Tired Iron Air Racing Team' stable & the Fort is the CAF's B-17G "Sentimental Journey".

DBD

P.S.- Thx Betty!
          Attached Files

Comment

"GHOST!"

Tue. 9/14/10-Reno NCAR-Unlimited Qualifying & Practice-

After diving at-speed comin' down f/entry onto the racecourse at East Start Pylon flying his hot super-modified P-51D Mustang- #177-"Galloping Ghost" (NX79111),-veteran Unlimited Class race pilot-Jimmy Leeward suddenly pulled-up & outside to abort his approach to Outer 4 Pylon for his initial test laps & possible Q-run attempt (-captured here in this dramatic photo).

Leeward wasn't able to come back & log a good Q-time w/his plane before the close of Reno 2010 UNL qualifications. That forced Jimmy to work GG successively up thru the ranks fm Thursday's first Bronze heat into the final lineup f/Sunday's UNL Gold Championship-which he handily-accomplished. Had Fate not intervened w/excessive wind conditions to cancel running the UNL Gold Trophy event.... -Well, we'll never know how the Ghost's chances might've panned-out. Hopefully, we'll see this coming September @ Reno 2011!

"GOOD LUCK-Ghost Rider!"

DBD
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BuckyD; 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

"RENO RODEO FLIGHT"

Fri. 6/17/11: Taken fm Jim Booth's pristine Race #444-"MyT6"- A sundowner trio of round-trip Buck Shots documenting this year's RARA 2011 PRS T-6 formation fly-past of the annual Reno Rodeo event.

DBD
              Attached Files

Comment

Heya Don...I love following this thread for all the new pics and descriptions! Anyway...back on page 38 top row third pic in from right is a pic of Tsunami with a guy standing there...do you know who that is? At first I thought it might be Ray Poe but then thought this guy was too tall for Ray. Any ideas?
                Thanks!

Chad

Comment

Hi Chad-

Hey, thanks for the kind compliment. Alot of pre-posting production work's involved w/getting these photos put up f/folks to enjoy & be entertained (-researching historical data to draft accurate captions, write creative text, etc.)- so it's always especially-rewarding to get some positive feedback fm time-to-time (especially when it arrives alongside points for board discussions).

I don't have a clue who that Tsunami crewman in that Reno '91 archive photo is. I'm sure JD or one of the other guys on the crew might ID him & hopefully fill us in. You're right though, he does remind me a little bit of Ray Poe as well, but seems a bit younger & taller like you noted. Anyone?

DBD

Comment

"JETS!"- 'Just Light-It & GO!!!'

DBD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

When I went to my first NCAR in 1990, I was like every other noobie, wide-eyed, jaw-dropped 'n droolin' with his head on a swivel listening to the “bubble-bees” comin’ outta the Valley of Speed! And, like every other noobie, I absorbed and purchased every bit of nick-nak, brick-a-braq, in the form of "stuff" that I even gave my dog-a-bone, RARA style. One of my first prized possessions was a copy of Mr. Tegler's "Gentlemen, You Have A Race". My second most prized possesion came from Mr. Lefty Gardner, but that's a story for another time. Anyway, after years of dog-earin' that poor ol' book, I wondered where and when he, or somebody, was gonna write about 1984 to the Present? I'd been waitin' and waitin'…until now...now, that I've found this particular thread, that wait is over!

I've just spend the most enjoyable 6 straight hours reading this thread from the very beginning to the end of the most vibrant history WITH pics from some of the most talented photogs and narrators ever! I am in awe of the knowledge and history you guys have and I thank everyone who contributed to this thread. But, I would like to especially thank Don "Bucky" Dawson and Mr. Neal “Wingman” Nurmi (and,his faithful sidekick [aka: wife], Brigitta, who BTW, really knows how to take pics with a “manual” camera….lol…which I say with great respect!). And, to Wayne Sagar for putting this all together here on the AAFO server.

I still consider myself a noob here on this forum considerin’ I’ve got less than 40 posts to date since joining it in 2004. But, I can’t help myself and needed to express how absolutely thrilled I am about what AAFO has here and how this one thread has brought me full circle. The events of 9-16-11 are burned into all our souls and of all the threads, this one has calmed me and I thank you for that.

Cheers . . . and, God Bless!
                      Last edited by Ramjets; 10-15-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjets View Post
                        I still consider myself a noob here on this forum considerin’ I’ve got less than 40 posts to date since joining it in 2004. But, I can’t help myself and needed to express how absolutely thrilled I am about what AAFO has here and how this one thread has brought me full circle. The events of 9-16-11 are burned into all our souls and of all the threads, this one has calmed me and I thank you for that.

Cheers . . . and, God Bless!
                        About time you quit LURKING! lol
                        sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                        http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                          About time you quit LURKING! lol
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 10-17-2011, 11:37 PM. Reason: Removed invalid attachment link - DBD

Comment

The best Seat in the House.. White Lightning !!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Amen to that, Curt. Back in 1995, Lefty's team was thinking up creative new ways to get donations. Walking through the pits Saturday morning, I notice a bomb casing painted all white and standing on-end and a big hole where the trigger mechanism use to be. Hanging off the bomb was a sign that read (paraphrasing) "Get your picture taken for $5. They'd let you climb up and get into the cockpit while one of the team took a snap-shot using a polaroid. Best $5 bucks I ever spent. Later that day, I took the polaroid down to that little print shop next to Scolari's and had it blown up on an 8.5x11 color print. On Sunday, Lefty was out there doing autographs, so I presented the blown up pic to him and he just about had a come-apart! "Where in the hell did you get this?" Then, he remembered and we had a good laugh. That autograph is one of my prized possessions! But, Curt, I gotta say your pic is way, way more clear than mine. What'd you do, get Neal or Bucky to take the shot?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Ramjets; 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Get your picture taken for $5"
                                i got one too! I was a noob also, in heaven waliking around with my seasoned friends.
                                when i asked what i could get if i gave him $20, he said " shoot, I'll let ya fly the plane!"
                                i think the gunsight was aiming at the Bears pit and he told me " pretind your shooting down that bearcat" ha ha ha. got Lefty's autogragh on a P38 pilots manual also.
                                Way cool.
                                Ric Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X