'SPIT & POLISH'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'SPIT & POLISH'...

With 2009's Airshow Season well-underway, and PRS just around the corner - Reno Air Race Week is 'fast-approaching' . Race team owners & their crews most certainly have lots of prep-work cut out for themselves, in order to be ready in time for the competition. The planes must be as squared-away as possible, in order to hold-up during the strain of maximum performance operations. Team coordination & efficiency is equally-critical, for both safety & success out on the racecourse. Everyone's job is important, and volunteers are included as essential members of most every air racing team, regardless of racing class.

No matter how well-prepared an air racer may be functionally, good presentation means alot - having a 'racy-looking' paint scheme design, along w/color-coordinated team caps & uniforms is always cool.

Keeping a sweet-lookin' bird clean & waxed, takes plenty of elbow grease & can even help add a couple knots of airspeed for the pilot too. Here's a Reno Air Races photo gallery salute to show some appreciation for all those unsung aircraft detailers at the air races

DBD

Top row (L-R):

1. 'Pretty girls & beautiful planes'-always a winning-combination...Mike Brown's #232 - 'September Fury', receives some family- 'T-L-C'.
    2. Warbird maintenance expert & unlimited crewman- Chris Wood 'wipes the eyes' of David Price's big & bold MOF P-47 Thunderbolt.
    3. Bob Button's P-51D #55 'Voodoo Chile', gets a 'nose-cleaning'.
    4. Owner/pilot Jimmy Leeward works on the windscreen of his venerable Mustang - #9 'Cloud Dancer'.
    5. The late & great pilot- Art Vance, looking out from the cockpit of Bill Rogers' Super Sea Fury #15 - 'Furias' for some needed crew assist, after a late Friday corncob engine test run.

Middle row (L-R):

1. Waxing & wiping-down the Planes of Fame #1 Super Corsair - is a really 'BIG' job!
    2. Howard Pardue's rare Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat- Race #14, gets lots of crew attention, while Howard signs an autograph or two standing at the plane's L/H wingtip.
    3. Veteran air racing crewman- Anton 'Willie' Wilson, giving a good canopy-cleaning to owner/pilot- Tom Camp's classic Grumman FM-2 Wildcat- Race #2 - 'Air Biscuit'.
    4. 'Buffin' the blades' - Bill 'Tiger' Destefani's champion heavy-metal thoroughbred Mustang- #7 'Strega', is well-tended inside cush hangar confines at Stead Field.
    5. Art Vance gets some crew relief at last in #15 'Furias', after his R-4360 engine test run- "Wipe her off good & let's do it again!"

Bottom row (L-R):

1., 2. & 3. The sun's just about down behind the nearly-vacated Stead Field ramp, but #77 Rare Bear's dressed-up vet crewlady- Chris Rakestraw, is seen still applying finishing touches for a thorough- 'Bear-cleaning'. The 'Great Blade' tip's shine is proof of her fine job.
    4. & 5. 'Double-Vision' - Mike Keenum's Gold-class Sea Fury racer- #99 'Riff Raff', shows-off a prop so shiny- you could use it as a shaving mirror, & one of the crew accomodates for a posed photo to illustrate the fact.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 05-09-2009, 12:59 PM.

15 yard penalty and loss of down...

although the wildcat is a "pretty girl" Willie is def. not a pretty girl.....he is a good GUY however!

Comment

Re: 'SPIT & POLISH'...

Hey Bucky,

Glad to see that you are the keeper of the Reno History Flame. You keep it burning bright and at the same time cause some wonderful memories to come back to life in my head.

Not sure if I want to be billed with the 'pretty girls", but it's nice to get some billing. Thanks for the kind words in the photo caption.

See you on the ramp 09.

Willie
      Air Race 2
      Veteran Crew Member (lol)
      Hope to see you at Reno this year

Comment

Thanks, Willie!

Lotta air racing/airshow years..., w/so many great exciting experiences, along w/all those wonderful warm memories of fun times had w/good friends (like you) to cherish and celebrate, huh? The old days were special. What a kick that it's still going strong w/new spins to it all. I'm lookin' forward to at least one more margarita 'happy hour' in the pits before sundown, again at Reno '09. See ya then, pal!

Chino-bound this weekend - Oh Yeah!!!

DBD

(I didn't get the tie-in w/you & my photo caption for the first pic either...)

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
          Hey Bucky,

Glad to see that you are the keeper of the Reno History Flame. You keep it burning bright and at the same time cause some wonderful memories to come back to life in my head.

Not sure if I want to be billed with the 'pretty girls", but it's nice to get some billing. Thanks for the kind words in the photo caption.

See you on the ramp 09.

Willie
          Air Race 2
          Veteran Crew Member (lol)
          Hope to see you at Reno this year
          Hey Willie,

Don't let "Mamma" see this picture. She'll know you do windows after all!!!

Great pic as usual Bucky.

Wayne
          Race 2 crew also and I've had the pleasure and fun of crewing with Willie for 21 years. Maybe we should write a book about our race experiences with Ted Curiel. That would have some interesting stories!! I'm chuckling just thinking about it.!!!

Comment

Hey Hawkeye -

You betcha - that would be entertaining reading, for sure. My favorite of several TC stories, was the time we jumped into one of his friends' C-210 Centurion at sundown & flew from San Carlos A/P on an all-nite cross-country flight down to the '76 CAF Airsho in Harlingen (arriving at sunrise). That trip rates a chapter of its' own!

DBD

Comment

Wow,

Bucky your comments and Wayne's started me to thinking. Man I've, I should say we (you, Wayne, Teddy and I) have been doing Reno and been done by Reno for a lot of years. As Wayne said more then twenty(20) years, and man are you guys right. It has been thanks for the memories and more importantly the memories of people. Like Bob Love, Dave, Malinda, Jack Hovey, John Crocker, Miss O, Jerry Ruddy, Denny, Lefty, Lloyd, Mike and Kathy Bogue, Kirch, Dwight and Rose Thorn, the Hintons the Pauls, Milo, Ray Din and the list goes on.

Mike Bogue's B23, Hovey's Mustang, Crocker's Mustang, Tom Camp and his Yak and then his Wildcat. All nighters on the ramp with no lights, no motor homes, no food, working to change a cam, an engine, pull a prop or something else. Going to the Ramp Barbaque and making a donation for the food and drink and getting the free stuff. The free stuff at the numerous ramp gatherings was listening to Zuchel, Hovey and Dwight talk of the real old days and learning how to make them engines go fast.

One of my best memories was watching Bob Love do a roll over the top of Howard P and not loosing a position in a race. Then being up on the wing when he taxied in to tell him "the committee" was there and wanted to talk with him. I'll never forget the wry smile that came across his face.

For those of you who aren't old enough to remember, Bob Love did a spectacular aerobatic routine in his P51 that started with a complete roll right after take-off with the gear extended!

Reno is an assault on the senses. Neat airplanes, great pilots, neat sounds and above all speed. For those of you that read this and have never been to the "Big Show" as Bob Love called it you need to either get hold of one of John Altman's Reno on Record CD's, or better yet take you rear ends to the "Big Show" and hear the sounds in person. The sounds of the Unlimiteds screaming down the Vally of Speed late in the afternoon has to be heard in person. It is a sound that sends chills though my body as it reverberates off the hills into my ears. You may have seen Warbirds fly, but you haven't heard or seen them fly with their throttles wide open, cowl flaps and oil cooler doors closed (or removed).

Reno on Gold Sunday is a place of anticipation. Anticipation of raw power being unleashed, and hopefully controlled. Raw speed, danger and excitement. Again if you have not been there, you need to go!

Again thanks Bucky and Wayne. See both of you guys at Chino this weekend, and more memories will be made.

Willie
              Crew Member Air Race 2 Air Biscuit
              Former Crew Member Race 6 Somethin' Else
              Former Crew Member Race 2 Hovey Mustang
              Last edited by Warbird5; 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Amen, Willie -

Everyone knows the airplanes are awesome, but the PEOPLE are- 'The Heart & Soul' (It's really all about them). Many have taken the final flight up to 'That Great Airport In The Sky', but will be long-remembered w/fondness, by those who carry on the tradition.

Check ya at Chino!

DBD

(You have a way w/words, man,)

Comment

Hey, who needs beaches, cruises and such when you can spend your vacation evenings really having fun??

Comment

Afternoon Bucky and Neal,

I knew when this tread started more pictures of the guys would show up.

Thanks Neal Wayne, Teddy Me and Crocker's prop. I remember it well.

Willie

Comment

Working...
                    X