Argonaut Mayday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argonaut Mayday

The attached photos are of Argonaut on the Friday race at Reno 2008 when the engine was doing its imitation of a hand gernade. The photos were taken during the two minutes that followed that moment. They start near Pylon #8 and end up on Runway 14.
    Attached Files

Re: Argonaut Mayday

UHHH...Imitation?

Comment

CJ

How about a first hand account of what it was like from the drivers seat?
      Red
      chanting...400+

Comment

um are those cell phone pics?
        CFI/CFII/MEI
        www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
        www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Red
          CJ

How about a first hand account of what it was like from the drivers seat?
          That's gonna be a good read!!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pics... as good as these are none of them do justice to seeing it happen as the flames were shooting out. Those were some scary moments. The pilot sure did a good job getting down on the runway.. quick. There were a couple seconds of prayin he'd make the runway (from an amateurs perspective anyway)

Comment

CJ: We'd love the hear the details of the failure once they're known. With that much oil, something major broke or let go. Wow! It also appears that the prop didn't feather/go into coarse pitch, I suppose due to the loss of oil pressure? How much did that shorten your time to get it down? Excellent flying!
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Isnt it supposed to go course with oil pressure loss? Thats how most engines are.
                  CFI/CFII/MEI
                  www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                  www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Wow!

Great shot Evan!!
                      Red
                      chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by evanflys
                        http://evanflys.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/P1040357-1.283184610_large.JPG

The first one with flames that I have seen.

Nice shot.

Comment

Well the explosion was loud and everything started shaking violently. My first thought was that the motor was rejecting the ADI so I reduced throttle setting and turned off ADI pump. Soon ( about 3 seconds ) I became convinced this might be serious so pointed the airplane at the "low Key" downwind position for Rwy 14. The shaking was violent. Brief surges of high power made me think it was beneficial to NOT pull course propeller. Apex was at 3,000'agl; desired low key 2,500'agl; actual altitude was @ 2,000'agl. With low energy state I had to hold landing gear until last minute to be able to line up on Rwy 14. With 90 degrees to turn I looked for place in desert to 'put it down' but that looked really ugly so re-focused on the turn to final. A very low flap setting helped with turn and getting the gear at the last minute made it all work. The fire had gone out by landing but the motor froze solid on the runway. The landing was pretty uneventful but getting out of the cockpit, with all of that oil, was extremely slippery and a fellow could have hurt himself.
                          "CJ"

Comment

Congratulations on a fine job of piloting CJ.

I was there and had my binocs on you the whole time. Don't think I took a breath till you successfully rolled out. Everything sure happened quick.

Thanks for sharing your experience here.
                            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by CJS
                              Well the explosion was loud and everything started shaking violently. My first thought was that the motor was rejecting the ADI so I reduced throttle setting and turned off ADI pump. Soon ( about 3 seconds ) I became convinced this might be serious so pointed the airplane at the "low Key" downwind position for Rwy 14. The shaking was violent. Brief surges of high power made me think it was beneficial to NOT pull course propeller. Apex was at 3,000'agl; desired low key 2,500'agl; actual altitude was @ 2,000'agl. With low energy state I had to hold landing gear until last minute to be able to line up on Rwy 14. With 90 degrees to turn I looked for place in desert to 'put it down' but that looked really ugly so re-focused on the turn to final. A very low flap setting helped with turn and getting the gear at the last minute made it all work. The fire had gone out by landing but the motor froze solid on the runway. The landing was pretty uneventful but getting out of the cockpit, with all of that oil, was extremely slippery and a fellow could have hurt himself.
                              "CJ"
                              Hi CJ, thanks for recounting the experience, Matt Jackson told me the engine on Argo was just about totally cut in half.. Damn good thing the oil didn't burn any more than it did!

Until you wrote the account, I had to look at your membership here several times to realize that you were C.J. the Pilot CJ....

Thanks again for visiting and sharing!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X