Red Tails, The story of the Tuskegee Airmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Tails, The story of the Tuskegee Airmen

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before but I ran into this while on a modeling web site.

Tony

Re: Red Tails, The story of the Tuskegee Airmen

Found this clip on the Air Show Buzz site:

Mark Johnson
    Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

With Steven Spielberg's love affair with aviation and warbirds in general, I had hoped he would take a crack at a WWII based aviation movie. Something with the power and emotional intensity as his Saving Private Ryan movie which is my all time favorite movie. It is unfortunate that he has elected to utilize CGI for all the aerial sequences, rather than using real Mustang aircraft. Steve Hinton had mentioned this movie when we were down there for the Chino Airshow media day shoot, and stated he intended to take Mr. Spielberg for a Mustang ride to give him a sense of realism in an effort of changing his mind about using real Mustangs. Let us all hope he is successful in accomplishing that. Nothing cannever replace the look and feel of the real thing. Computers are great tols for movies, but in this case I feel the effect would be lost if they used CGI.

Dave

Comment

I agree real planes would be better, but... This story needs to be told. These men deserve a ton of credit. Wonderful history and I hope they do make the movie. God bless all our service men and women! my 2 cents.
        Cheers

Comment

Sort of related but I just recently learned that we had an expeditionary force in place on the eastern fron prior to our "official" entrance into WWII.

Same thing as the flying tigers.

Not much is known about it as the Russians were a bit more russian in their record keeping...

Cool stuff though.

I have low hopes for this movie unfortunately, If they can get the same type of production team that creates the CGI for "Dog Fights" n the history channel maybe it will be okay, but it seems that when Hollywood is involved all aspects of flight dynamics and physics go out the window...

Comment

CGI is great if you cant get numbers, or actual airplanes, but nothing beats the real thing.....

But has there not been a Tuskegee movie already been made???

Was made in 95, starred Laurence Fishburne and Cuba Gooding Jr....

But more aviation history movies the better....
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
              Sort of related but I just recently learned that we had an expeditionary force in place on the eastern fron prior to our "official" entrance into WWII.

Same thing as the flying tigers.

Not much is known about it as the Russians were a bit more russian in their record keeping...

That is a myth. There was a website about that which was making the rounds not too long ago propagating that information. Many people thought that it was real. What most people didn't realize is that it was a total fabrication and was developed by software programmers to promote one of the W.W. II flight gaming simulators.

There were no "Flying Tigers" equivalent or anything of the sort on the Eastern Front which contained Americans.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I almost believed it too, until I found out the truth. It certainly looked credible!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan
                CGI is great if you cant get numbers, or actual airplanes, but nothing beats the real thing.....

Yes, I will always be a fan of using the real thing, but for those naysayers who are still hung up on crappy "Pearl Harbor" type CGI, there have been wonderful advances since then. Go to this website, where a Japanese programmer has made several short CGI stories with warbirds. All of these are entirely CGI:

Go to the one entitled "Merlins". Watch that and tell me that you can tell it is CGI! BTW, that clip is at least 5 years old. Software has gotten even better since then!

Here is the direct link to "Merlins":

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude
                  Go to this website, where a Japanese programmer has made several short CGI stories with warbirds. All of these are entirely CGI:
                  Someone posted links to this video years ago and I had to watch it over and over to be convinced it was cg..

This guy is so good, i't's sick!

I'd actually pay money to see a full length movie made of his stuff alone... imagine making airplanes that no longer exist fly again...

Amazing artist!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan

Yea, it was an HBO movie. It is available on DVD. I thought it was pretty good with some good looking flight sequences.

Yes, I will always be a fan of using the real thing, but for those naysayers who are still hung up on crappy "Pearl Harbor" type CGI, there have been wonderful advances since then. Go to this website, where a Japanese programmer has made several short CGI stories with warbirds. All of these are entirely CGI:

Go to the one entitled "Merlins". Watch that and tell me that you can tell it is CGI! BTW, that clip is at least 5 years old. Software has gotten even better since then!

Here is the direct link to "Merlins":

http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~suppon/ai...dws/merlins.mpg
                    Found these too years ago. If you haven't watched them, you must. I keep checking back hoping for some new vids.
                    Last edited by hm66sk; 07-11-2008, 01:05 PM.
                    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

The Tuskegee movie flight sequences were flown by Dan Martin, Art and Dan Vance, and Jimmy Leeward.

Comment

Pix of Shadeaux Vance, Get down Martin & Jukebox Jimmy at Rattlesnake DZ, Ft Smith, Ak. First week of March 95. What a great time.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by spinner; 07-12-2008, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Great picture spinner.
                          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                          X