A few more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more...

Czech Mate and Spirit of Texas in the Saturday Gold.

Riff Raff in the Saturday Gold.

The Pacemaker.

Taken from Pylon 8 during the Sunday Silver.

Re: A few more...

That last shot reminds me of something... anybody else notice Steve Hinton having a good time with the T-33 after the races on Sunday? He looped and rolled the plane all over the sky, smoke on the whole time, for something like 30 minutes after all racers were down safe.
    Attached Files
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Yeah, we stood it the pits watching him the whole time. For an inpromptu routine, it was fun to watch. Very graceful.

Comment

My son and I did see that...But wouldn't you if you were up there? Just gettin his last few ya yas out. look like he was havin a ball.
        Cheers

Comment

we stayed in the stands and watched him, I thought he was happy cause the bear got down safe. A dead stick landing in that racer is nothing to sneeze at, that was a serious problem. imho that is, and after all that had happened earlier in the week. It was the best racing I have seen in many many years, but with the 3 deaths I just couldnt wait till it was over. But I cant wait till next year! lol

Comment

Just like Mr. Hoover in "Ole Yeller". Smooth! Nice flying Mr. Hinton!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
              That last shot reminds me of something... anybody else notice Steve Hinton having a good time with the T-33 after the races on Sunday? He looped and rolled the plane all over the sky, smoke on the whole time, for something like 30 minutes after all racers were down safe.

Yes he did look like he was having a ball, but I think there was a reason behind his extended theatrics. He was trying to keep the crowd occupied while the ground crews were trying to get the Bear towed back to the grand stands for the big congratulations!!

FBK

Comment

Bull****.....Steve is in the air for one reason only....he loves what he and the racers do and wants to take care of them the best he can when they are up there in trouble....the last thing on his mind is the crowd.......the crowd was thankful that John was down and safe...but for Steve....it was a great release for the week and events that happened....He was doing his own tribute........it was a fitting tribute to those we lost....................

The crowd stayed because a good racer and pilot was still in the air...we all wanted him down in one piece so we could have a positive end to the week........My hat is off to John, Steve, and crewchief of Rare Bear to put the new/old girl on the ground in one piece.........

Blue Skies to Steve, Brad and Gary!!!!!!!! I need a drink.......
                Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Originally posted by "Race" Driver
                  Bull****.....Steve is in the air for one reason only....he loves what he and the racers do and wants to take care of them the best he can when they are up there in trouble....the last thing on his mind is the crowd.......the crowd was thankful that John was down and safe...but for Steve....it was a great release for the week and events that happened....He was doing his own tribute........it was a fitting tribute to those we lost...
                  Actually FBK is on the right path. Mr. Hinton was asked by Race control to stay in the air until the disabled racers (Rare Bear and Sept. Fury) were safely towed back to the crowd line. He was much obliged to do so as he keyed the mic and said "No problem, I'll just put on a little airshow for you guys."

I do agree though that it was a great way to end such an emotional week.

Comment

I love it when he and Skip both say... " Aw Shucks... the engine just quit!"

Too Funny.... So calm in the face of disaster..

Skip goes on to state... " Hey! Its running again!..... Nope... Just quit.

Should I land with , or against traffic on the freeway?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                      You gotta love Steve and the rest of the Chino Kids. Undoubtedly some of the greatest warbird pilots ever. I heard once that Hinton had more hours in several different warbirds than the fighter pilots that flew them in the wars! In particular I don't know if I've seen many better pilots than Steve Hinton.

Hearing him describe his accidents in RB and another vintage racer on the Last Flight of Tsunami film is hilarious. You know that he was seriously hurt both times and he says something like "I hurt my back a little." just a grinning the whole time. He is one with the planes and he has a love of flying and of the planes. Great guy!

More hours yes But nobody was shooting at him

Comment

Originally posted by "Race" Driver
                        Bull****.....Steve is in the air for one reason only....he loves what he and the racers do and wants to take care of them the best he can when they are up there in trouble....the last thing on his mind is the crowd.......the crowd was thankful that John was down and safe...but for Steve....it was a great release for the week and events that happened....He was doing his own tribute........it was a fitting tribute to those we lost....................

The crowd stayed because a good racer and pilot was still in the air...we all wanted him down in one piece so we could have a positive end to the week........My hat is off to John, Steve, and crewchief of Rare Bear to put the new/old girl on the ground in one piece.........

Blue Skies to Steve, Brad and Gary!!!!!!!! I need a drink.......

Hey Man, slow down!! I have never once tried to take anything away from Steve Hinton. He is a great pilot, and has the racer's safety and best interest as his top priority at all times. My comment was only related to his "airshow" that he put on AFTER ALL of the racers were down safely. There was a 20-30 minute period between the time from when the Bear was down safely and when the planes were delivered to the flight line. During that time his job was to keep the show going until John Penny and the Bear returned to the grand stands for their well earned contragulations.

Congratulations to John Penny and the rest of the Race 77 team!!

It was relieving to see all of the Maydays make it down safely.

FBK

PS - Thanks for the backup Nick!!

Comment

Working...
                        X