Rare Bear Qualifies, then POPS.... MAYDAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear Qualifies, then POPS.... MAYDAY

I'm stuck in my room working on yesterdays stuff as well as making a living.... (bummer!) but just got word from field from Griffon Girl... Rare Bear went up, took the clock, got a qualifying speed (Unknown at this time how fast) then POPPED and mayday'd out...

Initial word is that it's a cylinder... (Unconfirmed) I'll try to get word from the team and post something official..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Rare Bear Qualifies, then POPS.... MAYDAY

Thanks Wayne, good to see you're doing well. Thanks for the update.

Good news...and then bad...for the Bear. What's the initial reaction from the gear-heads on the board....does this sound really bad?

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
      Thanks Wayne, good to see you're doing well. Thanks for the update.

Good news...and then bad...for the Bear. What's the initial reaction from the gear-heads on the board....does this sound really bad?
      Audible "bangs" and "pops" are rarely good. Even a backfire at the kind of boost pressures these things run is really a "manifold explosion" and can do serious damage. Remember when Miss A. blew the whole bottom of the cowl off?

Given that the Bear has seemed sick all week, its less good because the engine may have taken some undetectable punishment during the aborted takeoffs and the runups with the questionable carb. I will never NEVER write that team off, though. They could easily be back if it turns out to be confined to a single cylinder (one BIG advantage of radials over the inlines).

The better news is that if they at least got a time, they may be in the show still.

How much longer does Dago Red have to get qualified?

Comment

I think it was indicated on another thread that unlimited qualifying was going to be till 12:00 pm (west coast time) today..if so, then it just ended. Waiting with fingers and toes crossed for Dago...
        Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I may be incorrect, but if Dago doesn't qualify they must race their way throught the field starting tomorrow...........

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit
            I may be incorrect, but if Dago doesn't qualify they must race their way throught the field starting tomorrow...........
            can they do that if there is a full qualified field of 27 airplanes?

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
              I think it was indicated on another thread that unlimited qualifying was going to be till 12:00 pm (west coast time) today..if so, then it just ended.
              Ummm... I don't think so. I've never heard of quals ending at noon???

Comment

i keep hoping for dago......
                last year they said it whould be ok for tiger to start in last place in bronze and work up....hope this chould be the case .....
                if so it will make for a fun day of bronze and silver racing
                www.renosection3.com

Comment

Just got back from stead. The Bear looks to be in bad shape.After hearing two very loud bangs while completing thier second lap, Ron pulled way up trailing a lot of smoke.After landing safely on Tiger ally,the Bear was towed back in with the entire fuse dripping with oil.Can't emagine what is going on back i the cave, but at least the did post a qualifing time.( I had it hand timed at around 450 range )As far as the rest of the field,Dago did not go up while I was there. Qualifing did end at noon and the IF-1 race had just started when I left.Not sure if the will be allowed to go up tonight after racing concludes.

Merlin Fan

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    I'm stuck in my room working on yesterdays stuff as well as making a living.... (bummer!) but just got word from field from Griffon Girl... Rare Bear went up, took the clock, got a qualifying speed (Unknown at this time how fast) then POPPED and mayday'd out...

Initial word is that it's a cylinder... (Unconfirmed) I'll try to get word from the team and post something official..

Wayne
                    This is what happens when the ADI switch is inadvertently left in the 'off' position during two relatively fast warm-up laps, and a 455 mph qualifying run.

Comment

Three items for the Bear next year:
                      1) Race checklist (cockpit & ground)
                      2) Telemetry
                      3) Crew radio

As some of the Merlin's found out this year, the devil's in the details! I recall the Bruce Lockwood interview about the early preparations of Dago Red leading into it's long reign as National Champion. The key was exhaustive preparation and leaving nothing to chance. Having Kerch on his side didn't hurt, either!
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                        As some of the Merlin's found out this year, the devil's in the details! I recall the Bruce Lockwood interview about the early preparations of Dago Red leading into it's long reign as National Champion. The key was exhaustive preparation and leaving nothing to chance. Having Kerch on his side didn't hurt, either!
                        Peashooter,
                        While I think you are absolutely right in your praise on Kerch, please take note that Bill had the luxury of all the race winning Merlins that he had were built By Mystery Aire, LTD. under the direct guidance of Dwight Thorn. And Bill Kerchenfaut will be the first to acknowledge that fact.
                        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                          Peashooter,
                          While I think you are absolutely right in your praise on Kerch, please take note that Bill had the luxury of all the race winning Merlins that he had were built By Mystery Aire, LTD. under the direct guidance of Dwight Thorn. And Bill Kerchenfaut will be the first to acknowledge that fact.
                          Agreed, 100%!

BTW, I can't wait for the day that the Bear pushes September Fury to and beyond her limits! I'm sure there's lots of smash left in Fury, just how much is the question.
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            This is what happens when the ADI switch is inadvertently left in the 'off' position during two relatively fast warm-up laps, and a 455 mph qualifying run.
                            Speeddemon, are saying that Rare Bear went 455 Dry? without ADI? Wow think what could have been. But what do you mean by the switch was in the off position? Why would the crew do that?

Bill Thomkins

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                              Speeddemon, are saying that Rare Bear went 455 Dry? without ADI? Wow think what could have been. But what do you mean by the switch was in the off position? Why would the crew do that?

Bill Thomkins
                              Not done on purpose, purely an oversight.

Comment

Working...
                              X