Unofficial stuff from UNL session 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial stuff from UNL session 1

On the phone wit my bro who is on the field. Many planes were up, not many called the clock.

~Rare bear cut power before lifting off on takeoff roll, not sure if Ron shut it down or it shut itself down. Bear is back in the cave with an undiagnosed problem as of now.

~Super Corsair was on the ramp but never started after a couple attempts with about half of the cylinders firing.

~Dago went up and came back without calling the clock.

~Same for Strega, a few laps around the sticks 'taking it easy' but no call for the clock.

~Sept Fury and Pops did not go up. Big Bossman did, ran a lap in the 360's.

~Dreadnought went up and called the clock, Bro had him hand timed in the 445-448 range.

~Czechmate was also up with laps around 430, but did not call the clock.

Still no Cloud Dancer on the field.
    He said he would call back after the second session with more.
    ~Jim

Re: Unofficial stuff from UNL session 1

C'mon Bear! Kerch is being coy...
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by glider90
      On the phone wit my bro who is on the field. Many planes were up, not many called the clock.

~Rare Bear cut power before lifting off on takeoff roll, not sure if Ron shut it down or it shut itself down. Bear is back in the cave with an undiagnosed problem as of now.

~Jim
      Chewing Nails.

Don

Comment

Pops and Fury were on the course, unknown if they took the clock, both sounded awesome. Merlin's Magic landed without power, no further info and still no Cloud Dancer. Precious Metal was in the movie mode and never saw her leave the pit.............

Comment

Session two with speeds:

Sept Fury~478.512
          Dreadnought~444.383
          Voodoo~435.924
          Riff Raff~426.980
          Sept Pops~413.488
          A couple more with speeds in the ow 400's.

No more activity from Dago or Strega. Strega seems to be getting some extra attention at the front end, all cowlings and panels off.

No Cloud Dancer yet, but people were organizing the pit and commented to each other 'do not forget we have more room now with the smaller wings'.

No major activity in Sport. Best speed so far is around 299.

All for today,
          ~Jim

Comment

Are these speeds the "official" qualifying numbers?

Comment

He was reading them to me off the board at RARA HQ, so they should be the official times thus far. Of course many teams have not taken the clock yet, and you can always take a second time...
              ~Jim

Comment

Gotcha!

Some people are posting thier own personal timings and such, and wasn't sure if some of these numbers were official. Now I know! Thanks for the updates, and thanks to your brother for keeping us all in the loop also!

Comment

478.512 for race 232 is great! I think that's over 10 mph faster than it ever has qualified before (468.266 in 2002) and by all means the fastest Sea Fury speed ever.

I'm still hoping for some 493-range speeds though.

Comment

Originally posted by glider90
                    Session two with speeds:
                    Sept Fury~478.512
                    Wow, nice! Does anyone know the fastest recorded Sea Fury speed at Reno? Has Mike beaten it yet?

I still think it would pretty cool for Mike Brown to take bronze, silver, AND gold in one year...

-mosquito

Comment

By the way:
                      Race 33, Steadfast ran about 378. Will W. ran a nice looking line, right low to the ground and very smooth. Good showing for the new racer that hasn't had time for paint yet.

September's Pops and Fury both sounded awesome, and look very competetive. Dago Red and Strega pounded out some solid looking laps during the second session as well as VooDoo, all sounding powerful. In case there was any question, Bill D. was piloting Strega himself.

Cheers
                      Gerry
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mosquito
                        Wow, nice! Does anyone know the fastest recorded Sea Fury speed at Reno? Has Mike beaten it yet?

I still think it would pretty cool for Mike Brown to take bronze, silver, AND gold in one year...

-mosquito
                        If it's official, he would of beaten it by more than 10 mph.
                        Official airrace.org posted top speed of any Sea Fury: 468.266 by, you wont believe this, Race 232 September Fury piloted by non other than Mike Brown in 2002 today.

Comment

Another thing I noticed was that the record for F1 was 321 MPH!! by Gary in Mariah in 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by race9
                            Another thing I noticed was that the record for F1 was 321 MPH!! by Gary in Mariah in 1999.
                            Maybe I have not been watching very good over the last few years............but that is hauling A** for a IF1................could it be a typo?

Comment

So Mike does a 478.5 and we all know that Kerch will let the pilot do just enough to get pole.......................is this an official time?

Kerch is not one to go out again and reset the mark.

So Mike may have a 485 to maybe 490 or so, left in him for Sunday and that is being generous. He will be the pusher and let Strega and Dago break themselves and hopefully get gold.

If Strega or Dago are not there for Sunday, then whoever is left between the two have it made.

Leaving out the Bear in this equation as he is always an unknown on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X