Oregon Air Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oregon Air Show

As Victor has so artisticly posted, we are sad to report, it was Robert Guilford who was piloting the Hawker Hunter yesterday at Hillsboro.

Exact cause of the accident will wait for the NTSB report, however, the description I posted yesterday was from a reliable eye witness as well as my own assessment of a video tape of the pattern flown.

Our most sincere condolances go out to the family and friends of Mr. Robert Guilford.

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
      Wayne
      You've got your panties in a bunch. I posted a link to another aviation news magizine, I didn't make any editorial comment about the crash.
      Turrns out that site this morning has modified their report on the accident.
      Tom
      Tom, I do/did, as you say, have my "panties in a bunch".

When these things happen, I work very hard to keep the lid on for very good reason. These boards can be the cause of great pain for those who know the persons involved or worse, the families of those involved.

When someone posts a link to "the real story" as you did (your words) and that story is a completely false report, as it was, yes, my underwear sucks up a notch and I delete the post and scold the person who posted it.

You may not like it but, I'll continue to do things this way because it's the right way.

I might have been a bit more jumpy than usual because I was there when it happened. No, I am not an eye witness, I only saw the smoke in my mirror while stuck on the freeway. The asst. airboss is my neighbor and we spoke on the phone moments later, he was an eye witness and was/is quite shaken.

Thanks for trying to understand,
      Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Condolences to the friends & relatives of Robert Guilford. Blue Skys forever Robert.
        Lockheed Bob
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

I have known Bob since his last year of racing at Reno. I didn't see the " need to win" in his eyes but the gleem of showing his beautifully restored birds for the crowd. The following years were spent aquiring more aircraft to restore to flight. I believe he did quite a lot of the flying in those aircraft. Many shows were honored with his presence, smiling while watching others admire his 'toys' in the static display areas. Bob wanted to depart early for home Sunday and when I gave him the schedule at the morning briefing that showed him departing before the end , I saw that big smile again. He was being given the opportunity to show his work 'in flight' before an admiring crowd. I, for one will miss seeing him around air shows again as I know many others feel the same.
          BLUE SKIES BOB !!!

Mike

Victor, may I print your post for my wall?

Comment

Mike.. your more than welcome too make a print.

Here is Bob's Reno record:

1971 2nd place Unlimited Medallion. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 3 Speed: 264.770
            1973 DNQ Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 engine problems
            1974 DQ - flying outside course. Unlimited Medallion Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 283.232
            1975 6th place Unlimited Medallion. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 241.534
            1979 6th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 252.124
            1980 6th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 239.598
            1981 4th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 247.779
            1982 4th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 308.375
            1983 5th place Unlimited Medallion 2. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 247.467
            1984 DNF Lap 6 Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 251.683
            1985 9th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 282.904
            1986 8th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 264.586
            1987 8th place Unlimited Silver. Nuthin Special Hawker Sea Fury - Race 40 Speed: 308.489
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
              Mike.. your more than welcome too make a print.

Here is Bob's Reno record:

1971 2nd place Unlimited Medallion. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 3 Speed: 264.770
              1973 DNQ Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 engine problems
              1974 DQ - flying outside course. Unlimited Medallion Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 283.232
              1975 6th place Unlimited Medallion. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 241.534
              1979 6th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 252.124
              1980 6th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 239.598
              1981 4th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 247.779
              1982 4th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 308.375
              1983 5th place Unlimited Medallion 2. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 247.467
              1984 DNF Lap 6 Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 251.683
              1985 9th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 282.904
              1986 8th place Unlimited Bronze. Blue Max F4U-7 Corsair - Race 93 Speed: 264.586
              1987 8th place Unlimited Silver. Nuthin Special Hawker Sea Fury - Race 40 Speed: 308.489

You're not going to print the finishes at Mojave, Vic? C'mon...if you're going to try to impress us, then IMPRESS us. :-)

Comment

Sorry bro, my talents lie more in the direction of the artistic & photographic and not so much of that of the geek
                But at least I try and not just sit here and lurk
                http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                  Sorry bro, my talents lie more in the direction of the artistic & photographic and not so much of that of the geek
                  But at least I try and not just sit here and lurk

Just yankin' yer chain, bud. :-)

Comment

All those years at Reno, when Bob would still be circling the course for 2 more laps when the others were landing. That Blue Max was sooooo slow, but sooooo pretty!

Blue Skies Bob.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Here's my tribute video. Dedicated to the pilot, his family, the air show and it's performers...

Shawn Adams
                      rotor-head.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn
                        Here's my tribute video. Dedicated to the pilot, his family, the air show and it's performers...

Shawn Adams
                        rotor-head.com
                        Shawn,

Absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL video!

Thank you so much for sharing.. to save you bandwidth, I can upload to the board here if you'd like...

Are you the fellow I met in the bathroom and exchanged cards with??

If so, you do great work.. whomever you are, you do GREAT work!!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                          Shawn,

Absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL video!

Thank you so much for sharing.. to save you bandwidth, I can upload to the board here if you'd like...

Are you the fellow I met in the bathroom and exchanged cards with??

If so, you do great work.. whomever you are, you do GREAT work!!

Wayne
                          If you're talking about the air conditioned bathroom with the music, then YES...... How are you doing?

I'm not too worried about the bandwidth... I have no limits. I'm actually going to post a smaller QuickTime and Windows Media version, just to save time for the slower connected, but not at the expense of comprimising too much quality..... keep in touch...... and thanks.
                          Shawn Adams

HD Video and Pilot
                          http://www.rotor-head.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn

rotor-head.com
                            Well shot, well edited. A great video. Thank you.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Originally posted by HiredBitSlinger
                              Well shot, well edited. A great video. Thank you.

Dan Plunkett
                              Thanks for the comments.. This is a great forum... I just found it today..... I now currently belog to this forum, the vertical flight forum and the rotary winged forum.... Cool....
                              Shawn Adams

HD Video and Pilot
                              http://www.rotor-head.com

Comment

NICE job Shawn!

I hope to make it up there next year for the show. All the best, RG
                                Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                                RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Working...
                                X