True potential of the Ghost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True potential of the Ghost?

Like everyone else here, I'm in shock still from Friday's event (saw it all from 150-200' east of the accident site). Aside from the human tragedy that is well discussed already, one of the things that I'm really upset about though(call me calloused, jaded, etc.), is that we'll never know the true potential of GG.

I watched it easily win all of it's races last year, and spent all year looking forward to seeing what it was capable of this year. So does anyone have any insight into what may have been? She was one slick looking bird, that's for sure, and had no problem showing the Bear a steam trail in the last race

Re: True potential of the Ghost?

When Jimmy dropped the hammer and passed the Bear, it sure was honkin and a few more laps might have answered alot of people's questions about what "cards" were still in Jim's "poker hand" speed wise/potential.

Just sayin....

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
      Like everyone else here, I'm in shock still from Friday's event (saw it all from 150-200' east of the accident site). Aside from the human tragedy that is well discussed already, one of the things that I'm really upset about though(call me calloused, jaded, etc.), is that we'll never know the true potential of GG.

I watched it easily win all of it's races last year, and spent all year looking forward to seeing what it was capable of this year. So does anyone have any insight into what may have been? She was one slick looking bird, that's for sure, and had no problem showing the Bear a steam trail in the last race

Albeit a sick bear.

Comment

Oh, it was?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomcatter View Post
          Albeit a sick bear.
          What was wrong with the Bear? I heard that Jimmy throttled back a bit before the pass so as not to hurt the Bear's feelings

Comment

What was wrong with the Bear? I heard that Jimmy throttled back a bit before the pass so as not to hurt the Bear's feelings
            Howdy. I am offended. I don't think that's funny, friend.
            Hank

Comment

I for one am not offended and need a laugh. Although I have never meet the man, I would like to think that Jimmy wouldn't want us to constantly morn his death but to celebrate his life.

On a unrelated note, mgbf4u I see you are in Hurst. Are you by chance a Brahmas fan? I'm a longtime Mudbugs fan and have watched many a game at NYTEX. Its been one bad year, first I lost my hockey team then this.

Comment

Thanks, I needed the chuckle. I wonder what quick comeback Jimmy would've had to that.
                Last edited by sandramore; 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM.
                sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

I watched one of the videos shot from the fence line and it sounded like someone clocked Jimmy at 497 on the 2nd lap. I don't care who you are or what you are flying, speed like that makes a statement. I don't know if he was officially clocked at that speed, but if true, Strega and Voodoo weren't going to just run away from him. If a 497 mph lap isn't showing all his cards, that plane was a contender no doubt about it.

Will

Comment

Sorry if other's don't agree but this was just about the best thing I've read over the past few days....

I spoke with one of the bear crew right after this all happened and damned if I can remember the exact quote but it was something like Jimmy died fulling his last wish... he passed the bear.

I know Jimmy was absolutely THRILLED when he saw the opportunity to move ahead and took it.. THAT is how he'd want to be remembered! That is how I'm going to try to remember him.
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I asked a crew member of 177 while he was applying bondo to the leading edge of the wings on Thursday if it was 500mph bondo. He quickly replied with a grin, "526 theoretically".

Comment

And there you have it. 526 sounds about right and that pass confirms it.

"There's no whining in Air Racing!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dago Dog View Post
                          And there you have it. 526 sounds about right and that pass confirms it.

"There's no whining in Air Racing!!"
                          It was an impressive pass that looked easy to me (nothing is easy in air racing ) Looking back at Stiletto, they won on less power. That program ended before the full potential could be realized. I think GG was on the right track, and if they were pulling 526 on a stockish motor, that kinda proves it. I don't know how hot of a motor they were running but from what I have read in the past, it sounds like it was a well built stocker with some careful refinements. I have to say, from the videos I've seen, that bird was singing a really nice song.

If this is true, imagine what could be done on a similar platform with an Allison rod Merlin. The scoopless mustang still has yet to see its full potential.

Along the same line, Tsunami was fast with a less powerful motor as well. Blend the scoopless mustang with Tsunami and who knows what you get. I bet it will be fast.

Will

Comment

Mgbf4u: Sorry, I don't mean to offend. I'd MUCH rather spread smiles than discontent at a time like this. Just looking for some previously tightly held information from some people that may be in the know, and spread some smiles at the same time.

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                            Thanks, I needed the chuckle. I wonder what quick comeback Jimmy would've had to that.
                            I never met Jimmy, but I'd like to think he'd flash a coy smile and simply say "15 inches."

Comment

I would like to say that The Ghost sounded different than any of the other Merlins. Maybe it was just the acoustics of the scoopless Stang but, it was different. Not sure how to descibe it. Kind of a tame, scratchy growl. Not too lean but kinda mean. Does that make any sense? Whatever it was, it was cool. I do know that I was as thrilled as I've ever been about any racer on those last few laps. I've only seen laps like that in my dreams. I've always loved watching Jimmy fly and, as a kid, always loved the scoopless Stangs that have graced the course. This one was in the right hands.

You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X