Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What If....2021

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Isle of Man organizers announced that the June 2021 Isle of Man event will not be held until 2022.

We'll see what happens in our state, I know the January 2021 Garth Brooks concert in the new Raiders stadium is sold out.
    We're gonna beat this son-of-a-bitch virus this year!

If we can get nearly everyone to get on board and get the shot.. we can do it!

There will be two issues needing to be dealt with to make it happen successfully.

Distribution, make it available

Public Acceptance: Stuff like this was mandatory when a lot of us who visit here were kids... Just get the damn vaccine!

I'm sure we're all aware that there are a bunch of folks who are afraid of or do not trust vaccines..

I'll go back to when my generation, born in 1951, you just went to school, part of that was, you got you shots. No questions asked.

I'm not completely sure I understand the resistance to this..

Personally, I would like to wait a bit to make sure my 12 to 15 years left shelf life body does not take a vaccine that is experimental...

REALLY hard to start thinking like an "old guy"...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

All said, if they called me tomorrow and told me I could get it down at Walgreens.. I'd do it!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My step daughter has the virus and she's been to the ER twice this week. This virus is a real BITCH.

Comment

I've been coming to Reno since 76 and only missed last August and two or three years back. We usually come Saturday before and leave Monday after the races. I'm a warbird fan and that's my interest. As of the last few years it just hasn't had the appeal that it once had. The Unlimited racing is what I come for which has been lacking with some of the best standing down for different reasons. The aerobatics aren't my thing unless it was Lefty Gardner doing his routine or something similar. The Jet Class doesn't appeal to me either when you hear "Check speed" on the radio. So, going forward, I'll wait to see who is going to participate around Aug. and make a decision if I'll come or not. But if there are going to be parade laps, it won't happen. Just as a side note to keep my interest up I would go out to the fence line, but you can't even do that anymore.

Thinking about the race participants I'm thinking I'd have some real concerns about changing the format. I could maybe agree about shortning up the week, but I'll leave it at that. In trying to add something positive how about a Baja Truck race out on the dessert floor? It's probably not feasible, but maybe it will spur another idea from someone. Maybe a Monster Truck or Motocross race? Again, I suspect not feasible.

In closing Covid-19 came up. I will not be taking the vaccine nor will I wear a mask. The vaccine will be a form of depopulation among other things. Did I mention there are baby parts in the vaccine? I'm going to leave a link from Del Bigtree. I'll let him speak for me in regards to covid and the vaccine. https://thehighwire.com/watch/

Comment

I completely understand the mentality of those folks who, if they could wave a magic wand, would virtually eliminate the "fluff" and spend seven days in the high desert of Nevada in September watching nothing but air races. Fact is, it's what attracted me to this gig in the first place. A whole week of watching aircraft racing, or better yet, having them fly right over your head at 500mph? Where do I sign up for THAT!? Well, I did my research and found out how to sign up for that...and it's been an incredible run.

But folks, the reality is those days are, at least for the foreseeable future, are not coming back. Period. It takes serious money to stage this event and just like those who came before us, we must adapt and reinvent...otherwise Reno will remain on the brink, or worse. It's that simple.

Do I wish I was there when Gardner, Hoover, Love, Shelton, et al were in their prime. Absolutely! But it's important to remember that throughout the decades RARA has had to make choices about its future to ensure we can reminisce about the "good ol' days." If we continue to look back and maintain BAU, the next generation will not be afforded that opportunity. There will not be any "good ol' days" for them to look back on.

It's also important to remember that RARA has several masters that directly impact the event. The most powerful of which is the FAA. Whether it's maximum altitudes, energy vectoring, course changes, speed restrictions, showlines, etc., in some very important respects RARA's hands are tied. Did RARA institute changes to our flight operations to meet those demands...yes we did. Was the FAA a good partner in that effort. Yes it was.

It's time once again to look in the mirror, ask hard questions, and seek out those with the KSA's to provide the answers, and I believe RARA is well on its way to that end. BAU equals DOA.

As for COVID, we all have opinions on the matter. And frankly, I don't believe this is the proper forum to dive into any discussions re: pandemic or the steps being taken to combat the pandemic, except to the extent it directly impacts the Reno National Championship Air Races and Airshow. I remain optimistic reasonable steps will be taken that will premit us to hold an event in September...be it racing, exhibition, or whatever.
            Last edited by Air Boss; 12-05-2020, 10:10 AM.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I think that those of us that were around in the "good old days" view them with nostalgia and wish for them back. If you have one foot grounded you have to realize that past is past and while we may wax poetic over it, it is PAST. There have been just as many exciting and beautiful times out there since the heyday. Does not mean we have to go back, just maybe steal some parts going forward. Things change, it's life.
              My hope is going forward there can be a race and show that appeals to the masses more. If that means some of what I hold dear out there ends up sacrificed for the greater good then so be it. I can adapt.
              That said it is fairly easy for me to follow any changes with changing my habits. I live 5 minutes away and don't make this a pilgrimage (except that I moved here to be close to the site of the races and center my vacation plans to have that week off and everyone in my circle from friends to boss to wife know not to mess with it) from across the country or world.
              I just hope it all continues in some form.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                I think that those of us that were around in the "good old days" view them with nostalgia and wish for them back. If you have one foot grounded you have to realize that past is past and while we may wax poetic over it, it is PAST. There have been just as many exciting and beautiful times out there since the heyday. Does not mean we have to go back, just maybe steal some parts going forward. Things change, it's life.
                My hope is going forward there can be a race and show that appeals to the masses more. If that means some of what I hold dear out there ends up sacrificed for the greater good then so be it. I can adapt.
                That said it is fairly easy for me to follow any changes with changing my habits. I live 5 minutes away and don't make this a pilgrimage (except that I moved here to be close to the site of the races and center my vacation plans to have that week off and everyone in my circle from friends to boss to wife know not to mess with it) from across the country or world.
                I just hope it all continues in some form.
                Well said, Leo. Well said...
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

I wrote this last year to address the "good old days" and the fact that I don't have any yet.
                  http://teamonemoment.com/2019/05/the...f-sport-class/

Sport class has been a resounding success. IF1 has also been in a golden age under Goforth's leadership.
                  Either getting existing/older fans to like these classes more or to find new fans that specifically like these classes (ie the GA crowd that flocks to events like Sun n Fun and Oshkosh) will be far cheaper than reviving the unlimiteds.

Also on the subject of motorcross or monster trucks. RARA got a motorcross team to do tricks and jumps and RARA was largely ridiculed and criticized. Now of course with something like this it's the loud minority that get noticed, but there is definitely a case of "you can't make everyone happy"
                  "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

I enjoy all of the classes, even the jets (my son works on several of the racers so I get his interest injected into me). I will admit that a bunch of RV's putt-putting around the course is a yawner but they have to start somewhere!
                    I once sat through a day of snow with a trash bag for protection (78) and was happy to see whatever flew, so, airplanes, nuff said.
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                      I wrote this last year to address the "good old days" and the fact that I don't have any yet.
                      http://teamonemoment.com/2019/05/the...f-sport-class/

Sport class has been a resounding success. IF1 has also been in a golden age under Goforth's leadership.
                      Either getting existing/older fans to like these classes more or to find new fans that specifically like these classes (ie the GA crowd that flocks to events like Sun n Fun and Oshkosh) will be far cheaper than reviving the unlimiteds.

Also on the subject of motorcross or monster trucks. RARA got a motorcross team to do tricks and jumps and RARA was largely ridiculed and criticized. Now of course with something like this it's the loud minority that get noticed, but there is definitely a case of "you can't make everyone happy"
                      Nice piece, Thomas. Good work.

I agree with the thought about finding new fans. That's exactly what it's going to take. Preserve, respect, and showcase our history at Reno but don't live off it. That said, I'd also point out that both SnF and Oshkosh offer world-class airshows in conjunction with their two other major attractions...GA fly-ins and industry/manufacturing extravaganza's. Reno currently doesn't reach that level of airshow component nor does it (nor could it without major restructuring) offer the attraction of GA folks.

Reno offers a one-of-a-kind experience. Like I say, "It only happens once a year...and it only happens here!" Underlying question is how we reinvent this thing and just like any other business, that means some things that have been embraced in the past must now be reevaluated for what they offer to the bottom line. Hard realities can be easy to recognize but can be very hard to accept.

"All the people some of the time...some of the people all the time...but never all the people all the time." Never more true than now for Reno. What I'm hearing here is that while many folks hold dear to all racing all the time, they also understand things will likely need to change or it will mean no racing at any time.

That's why I mentioned leaving a legacy for another generation to look back on as the good ol' days. I, for one, don't want to be known as being part of the team that oversaw the demise of this incredible event and am working hard to come up with options, alternatives, concepts, restructuring, whatever it takes to get this thing in the black. And a part of my efforts are based upon what I hear on this forum. Can't say whether or not they'll come to fruition but I assure you, if they don't it won't be from a lack of effort.
                      Last edited by Air Boss; 12-06-2020, 11:42 AM.
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

We appreciate all your efforts
                        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

2021 Paris Airshow canceled.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                            My ICAS "virtual convention" starts tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I suspect shows in early to mid-2021 may have to make adjustments but hopefully not cancel...again! Enough already.

Military teams and ACC announce their 2021 schedules (2022 for Blues and Birds) tomorrow at 0710. No doubt it will be posted here in short order.

Keep your fingers crossed folks. It would be great if we could get Blues and Birds in alternating years.
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                              Keep your fingers crossed folks. It would be great if we could get Blues and Birds in alternating years.
                              Both crossed, Schlemield, Schlimazeled, Hasenpfefferd and Incorporated even kissed my lucky boobookitty!!!!!!!!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I kissed a Blarney stone! Well, actually a green rock I found in the yard. Smelled funny...
                                Hope it helps!
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X