Bare Metal Sea Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare Metal Sea Fury

Is that VX302... former "Conch Fury" that broke in half?

Re: Bare Metal Sea Fury

Never mind... I found the answer!

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
      Never mind... I found the answer!

Just wanted to ask, is it the same one?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker Driver View Post
        Just wanted to ask, is it the same one?
        No. Conch Fury is in Germany. Sanders did some work on it, the rest was done by Meir Motors.

Comment

Its my understanding that "On Eagles Wings" started as an FB11, then was converted to a two seat for Chuck Greenhill, then sold to the Thibodeau's and was built with an R2800. Why a single seat was converted rather than just using a two seat, I don't know, but apparently it was.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            Its my understanding that "On Eagles Wings" started as an FB11, then was converted to a two seat for Chuck Greenhill, then sold to the Thibodeau's and was built with an R2800. Why a single seat was converted rather than just using a two seat, I don't know, but apparently it was.

Will
            The original fuselage was so badly destroyed that they had to basically build one from scratch. Might as well build a two seater at that point

Comment

Originally when I saw that Tom Dwelle was listed as the Crew Chief, I suspected that it was Critical Mass.
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                Originally when I saw that Tom Dwelle was listed as the Crew Chief, I suspected that it was Critical Mass.
                I ran into Taz in the PSAM pits at Reno, taking pictures of the P-63. Talked to him for a few minutes...tried to talk him into bringing the Sea Fury to Reno next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  I ran into Taz in the PSAM pits at Reno, taking pictures of the P-63. Talked to him for a few minutes...tried to talk him into bringing the Sea Fury to Reno next year.
                  Worked with the Cobra... would be awesome to have that many Furies on the course again. I assume a year from now both CM and eagle’s will have paint too...

I have no clue who N35SF belongs to, but maybe the sanders will have her done by next year too ??
                  Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-23-2018, 12:02 AM.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Conch Fury = Cottonmouth? That’s what came to mind when I first saw the freshly rebuilt Wings of Eagles.

Comment

Conch Fury = Cottonmouth? That’s what came to mind when I first saw the freshly rebuilt Wings of Eagles.

Comment

I think Conch Fury was the old Dale Clark bare metal "Nuthin Special" Race #40. It went to Guilford and then to David Price's operation (at that point still with a Centaurus that was pretty much not rebuildable), and then somehow ended up as "Conch Fury" with a 3350, and then got broken in half at Reno. AFAIK Cottonmouth was a separate different airframe altogether, and I think this Thibodeau bare metal airplane is still another one. I find these Sea Fury identities VERY confusing, especially as they get crashed, rebuilt, and combined in various ways...

Neal
                        Last edited by wingman; 09-23-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          I think Conch Fury was the old Dale Clark bare metal "Nuthin Special" Race #40. It went to Guilford and then to David Price's operation (at that point still with a Centaurus that was pretty much not rebuildable), and then somehow ended up as "Conch Fury" with a 3350, and then got broken in half at Reno. AFAIK Cottonmouth was a separate different airframe altogether, and I think this Thibodeau bare metal airplane is still another one. I find these Sea Fury identities VERY confusing, especially as they get crashed, rebuilt, and combined in various ways...

Neal
                          Interesting, thanks!

Cottonmouth was so dang purty, but if and when she gets rebuilt, chances are she’ll look totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                            The original fuselage was so badly destroyed that they had to basically build one from scratch. Might as well build a two seater at that point
                            What was so badly destroyed? According to the registry it was an ex Iraqi AF bird that had been in storage since being brought over from the middle east.http://www.warbirdregistry.org/furyr...ury-n63sf.html Still, looking at this http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...800project.asp it would appear that it was an ex Canadian bird making it not the same airframe. The MK20 project that Sanders had was apparently owned by Meier Motors, so not Greenhill. http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...fury-meier.asp

There is a lot of conflicting info here. N63SF is owned by Eagles Wings Aero LLC, and according to the registry, is an ex Iraqi bird that was in storage for decades, not the former Conch Fury (a German Tug from from April 5, 1963-1974).

What Sea Fury is this really?

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                              What was so badly destroyed? According to the registry it was an ex Iraqi AF bird that had been in storage since being brought over from the middle east.http://www.warbirdregistry.org/furyr...ury-n63sf.html Still, looking at this http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...800project.asp it would appear that it was an ex Canadian bird making it not the same airframe. The MK20 project that Sanders had was apparently owned by Meier Motors, so not Greenhill. http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...fury-meier.asp

There is a lot of conflicting info here. N63SF is owned by Eagles Wings Aero LLC, and according to the registry, is an ex Iraqi bird that was in storage for decades, not the former Conch Fury (a German Tug from from April 5, 1963-1974).

What Sea Fury is this really?

Will
                              According to the info I got directly from Dennis, the fuselage was torn in half right behind the cockpit in front of where the tail cone bolts on. So all of the longerons were junk. At that point you have to drill off every piece of skin etc to repair it, so it becomes a full rebuild, almost scratch build. I didn't ask about its history, but I do know it is NOT Conch Fury. This is Conch Fury as it looks today. Should fly really soon if it hasn't already. http://www.meiermotors.com/index.php...owall=&start=1

Comment

Working...
                              X