Reno Air Races 2022 Qualifying Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Air Races 2022 Qualifying Updates

Looking at Flightaware, Palm Springs' C-47 landed around 3:45, so hopefully visibility approaching the field is ok. The TFR goes until after 5:00 today, so I would imagine NAHI arrivals will still be happening. I believe a lot usually come in Tuesday evening with Wednesday being opening day. Some might have to adjust to arrive in the morning. On the military side, we got a ton of arrivals last year on Friday evening. It seemed like only a handful arrived on Wednesday/Thursday, so I wouldn't be too worried about military static yet. But I am with you that if smoke keeps rolling in the afternoons, it could become an issue quick.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks to everyone with boots on the ground posting, those of us unable to attend really appreciate it!
      Zac in NZ

Comment

Smoke rolled in again early and thick. I left the field around 4:40 and the C-17 was the only thing I saw coming in. When it hits, it hits hard. Everyday has been really nice though. I feel bad for the campers though. Tales of campers going into town and getting hotel rooms because the smoke is overwhelming. Can?t imagine being in a tent.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
          Smoke rolled in again early and thick. I left the field around 4:40 and the C-17 was the only thing I saw coming in. When it hits, it hits hard. Everyday has been really nice though. I feel bad for the campers though. Tales of campers going into town and getting hotel rooms because the smoke is overwhelming. Can?t imagine being in a tent.
          Watching the live feed and the smoke does look very thick, definitely can't see the back of the course. Wonder how many races they'll get in? Shame - real shame. Hopefully it will clear out soon.
          Mark K....

Comment

Sitting here on the backside of the course 10:10 am Thursday and it doesn't look too good.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
              Sitting here on the backside of the course 10:10 am Thursday and it doesn't look too good.
              I'm seeing postings saying the race course is closed due to smoke......
              Attached Files
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

The live feed on YouTube is saying smoke delay but the announcers just said it?s slowly clearing and they were towing the T-6s out. Hopefully it gets better!
                "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Getting worse near the grandstands. Hopefully one last little pocket to clear out.

Comment

According to the announcers, the F-1s are tentatively scheduled for a 1230 PST start
                    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

F1 in the air now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
                        Watching the live feed and the smoke does look very thick, definitely can't see the back of the course. Wonder how many races they'll get in? Shame - real shame. Hopefully it will clear out soon.
                        Don't know about you Mark, but this smoke makes me less sad about the outcome of the effort to get MissA there. Not at all sad about not being there breathing the smoke! I cough all the time anyway due to inhaling some of just about everything that I swallow.

Sounds like it's even worse than last year!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                          I'm seeing postings saying the race course is closed due to smoke......
                          Pylon judges are still out here so..................... 1:15 pm.

Comment

Winds have not favored us today. There wasn?t enough wind this morning to clear it out. We might get a slight window for something to happen on the big course but expectations are low. We?re really hoping the cold front coming in will push everything south.

Comment

The course is still open. They just finished T-6 drags. I also just heard a call for clearance on the scanner, but didn?t catch who was calling. I think that it might have been the Honda Jet demo.

The smoke is heavier to the north, so the Unlimited, and maybe Sport, course might be closed.

So far, the only heat races (other than the above) have been F1. It was a fun race. Limitless overtook Fraed Naught on the outside to win it.

Comment

Meanwhile, the fridge is stocked proper. Meat, mustard. Check. Beer, bread. Check. Good to go.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	EE80327C-CBE6-4D8A-AB0F-551941E6923A.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	232262

Comment

Working...
                                X