Air Race Simulator Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Race Simulator Game

I'll de-lurk for this as I actually know what all those acronyms in the parentheses you posted are being a major sim-racer myself.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has mentioned IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as for me, it has always been king of flight sims when dealing with WWII era birds (and tons more with all the mods available). Not to mention there are a ton of user created race courses for the game and there once was a thriving Air Racing League for it I used to partake in when my schedule allowed. Unfortunately it's just not as popular as it once was.

But none the less, don't let that sway you. The game works fine with Windows 7 (despite what some might say) and you can get it for less then $15 nowadays. If you're not afraid of delving into the mods... the sky's the limit. Check out mission4today.com to get an idea. Or just do some youtube searches and you'll get tons of hits. In fact someone posted a link to video here a while back where the creator had dubbed in some of the PA from Reno on.
    Last edited by Reynard; 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynard View Post
      I'll de-lurk for this as I actually know what all those acronyms in the parentheses you posted are being a major sim-racer myself.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has mentioned IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as for me, it has always been king of flight sims when dealing with WWII era birds (and tons more with all the mods available). Not to mention there are a ton of user created race courses for the game and there once was a thriving Air Racing League for it I used to partake in when my schedule allowed. Unfortunately it's just not as popular as it once was.

But none the less, don't let that sway you. The game works fine with Windows 7 (despite what some might say) and you can get it for less then $15 nowadays. If you're not afraid of delving into the mods... the sky's the limit. Check out missionfortoday.com to get an idea. Or just do some youtube searches and you'll get tons of hits. In fact someone posted a link to video here a while back where the creator had dubbed in some of the PA from Reno on.
      Glad you de-lurked :-)

Thanks for the link I changed the "for" to a 4 and it worked.

Delivering the best news and information in IL-2

Comment

IL-2 was fantastic, i had it and loved it, i used to love flying the Polikarpov's and early yaks, but i never raced in it.
        The other game from the same crowd was pacific fighters which was pretty neat too, i like that because you can fly as RNZAF crew in P-40's, TBF's, SBD's and F4U's
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
          Glad you de-lurked :-)

Thanks for the link I changed the "for" to a 4 and it worked.

Delivering the best news and information in IL-2

Nice. Thank you... I was just coming back to fix it as it just dawned on me that I might have typed it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynard View Post
            . . . I'll de-lurk for this as I actually know what all those acronyms in the parentheses you posted are being a major sim-racer myself.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has mentioned IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 as for me, it has always been king of flight sims when dealing with WWII era birds (and tons more with all the mods available). . .
            Yeah, roger that!!!! Before I got caught up in MS's eye-candy simulator, I too, was flying IL-2, but didn't get to the next level due to time management contraints. I began my simming about 1985. Eventually I ended up with U.S. Navy Fighers, then the U.S. Marine Expansion Pack, then to EF-2000 Typhoon and culminating as a beta tester for Falcon4 (F4UT/SP Dev Grp & BMS Dev Grp) and eventually joining the 87th Stray Dogs flying a very highly modified version of Falcon4 as Wing Executive Officer (CN: Shadow). After more than 5 years of flying with the 87th, I turned in my wings and put on spurs and went to road racing and never looked back. That is until the 2007 NCAR and MS's damn Demo Tent thingy. I licked my chops in anticipation of online air racing, but it never seemed to materialize, at least to my expectation, so I went back to rFactor/iRacing....lol. I'm such a slut for sim-racing!
            Last edited by Ramjets; 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
              At one time, they had a website with a picture of Lyle Shelton flying Rare Bear on the simulation and a quote from him saying it was like the real thing...not sure about that, but I bet it sold a lot of programs!
              Lyle really thought quite a bit of the simulators that Microsoft and others made, he had a pretty nice set up to play with. He preferred the air combat online simulation, he did a lot of dog fighting online.
              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                Lyle really thought quite a bit of the simulators that Microsoft and others made, he had a pretty nice set up to play with. He preferred the air combat online simulation, he did a lot of dog fighting online.
                I'll never forget spending a few hours with him at his place in Reno to do this article.. http://aafo.com/racing/2001/sheltonxar/index.html Sure wish more would have come from that sim!

I used to have the whole "HOTAS" setup, same brand as what Lyle used.. all game card stuff for DOS games.. Can't even imagine how well sims would run on today's computers! LOL! My laptop has a bigger screen than what I used to "game" on!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                X