Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIGITAL PHOTO ARCHIVES - Where do they go when you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIGITAL PHOTO ARCHIVES - Where do they go when you go?

For sure in the wrong forum section but I get to monitor the traffic this section is the one people visit... onward.

Not to make anyone think I'm getting close (none of us ever knows for sure), I've had a couple eye opening experiences lately that have made me think about what really happens with digital photos.

Digging recently in the old storage drives made me think about this. I suppose with a guy like Victor Archer, they'd go to Jeffrey, for an obvious example. Likely, most of you have an heir or associate who will carry on your work, or at least archive it for potential future relevance..

I'm remembering the old forties song "I Aint Got Nobody" if I were to croak tomorrow.. my archives would likely die with me for want of anyone knowing WTF all these photos of blank sky, blurry airplanes and a few really cool shots are all about LOL

Any of you out there want to volunteer?

I'd ask Wingman, he's in control of a lot of archival stuff, but he's older than I am..

It's no great loss to the world if my archives wound up plonked.. would make me wonder about the wisdom of going digital! No physical evidence! LOL

Sorry for the "morbidity" of this thread but, it is something to think about...

Who is the "official" keeper of the sport's archival images?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: DIGITAL PHOTO ARCHIVES - Where do they go when you go?

I don?t know who runs this, but first place that came to mind.
    The first searchable database of racing aircraft on the net.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
      I don?t know who runs this, but first place that came to mind.
      https://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeReport-Racers.php
      Mike Henninger. He somewhat recently finished the racer section of the database.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Personally, I'd probably rather my images disappear than wind up in someone's "for profit" archive...

Just saying.. They might not be the greatest, but a lot of us have had access for photos and have taken stuff that is pure magic.. I'd hate to see any of it die with the photographer... that's all I'm saying..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I also struggle with the legacy of digital images. Forgive me for offering this idea as "food for thought" to any and all photographers with archives. it is not my intention to diminish anyone?s art but only to start a discussion of the legacy of our photos.

Sorry Wayne, I can't help but play Devils advocate.

So if the real fear is the complete loss of your photographic legacy to the world, why not allow a person/business entity the use of your valued archives upon your passing?

It takes work to offer an item like a picture (digital art) in a retail marketplace. Time, effort and passion is what it takes for your art to be culled, formatted, named, logged and inventoried, marketed, sold and delivered to a customer.
          Lots of work. Why begrudge a good chap for being compensated for their hard work, doing what they are passionate about, helping to keep air racing history alive?

Naturally you are saying about now, what about all my hard work creating my art? Where is my compensation?. That's a question you can ask only when you are alive and can do something about it. When your dead, it doesn't matter.

Bottom line is, If you believe your archive has value, as a last resort, if a deal can be made with the commercial operator of a photo archive to offer your art to the world, why not do it?
          Last edited by planecrazy2; 06-15-2021, 06:36 PM. Reason: formating
          '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
            Bottom line is, If you believe your archive has value, as a last resort, if a deal can be made
            I would not object to that sort of arrangement.. that being said, the biggest factor here would the the IF factor..

IF there were a demand for them now, there would not be an issue...

I'm mainly talking about the difference of finding a shoebox full of stuff versus disks or worse, online accounts...

Anywaay, I appreciate the suggestion!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
            X