Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were the top 15 Best racing years of Reno?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What were the top 15 Best racing years of Reno?

This thread alone makes the hours I spent finding the backup drive and getting it moved to new home very much worthwhile!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      This thread alone makes the hours I spent finding the backup drive and getting it moved to new home very much worthwhile!
      Buy a ticket and hang on Wayne, we haven't got started yet. It's been YEARS since I have felt like posting.

Oh, wait it's your venue you don't need a ticket.
      Last edited by BellCobraIV; 04-30-2021, 01:53 PM.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Yes indeed.. And warm hello from us.

The 190... No.. well, I have to say I'm actually not sure whether I knew about that or not. I just called Eric and we agree that Dad mentioned something about that in his notes for "Gentlemen.." which we still have. Apparently Lyle mentioned something to him about that.

I'm sure this was derived from one of their frequent late night telephone conversations... This probably would have resulted from chats during some part of 1982 I'm guessing. In his "chicken scratch" handwriting Dad has a note that says "190 or 109? Ask Lyle." ... But that's all it says. And I suppose he never followed up on that.

What's the scoop?
        My Mom is 89 now, 90 in July and has been hit pretty severe with Alzheimer's. I was looking for a picture in "Gentleman" yesterday afternoon and she was looking over my shoulder. She actually recognized the Bearcat yesterday....first time in two and a half years. Brought a smile to both of our faces.
        John
        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
          Buy a ticket and hang on Wayne, we haven't got started yet. It's been YEARS since I have felt like posting.

Oh, wait it's your venue you don't need a ticket.

Ticket or no ticket, I feel like I should have a pit pass wristband to overhear this priceless stuff. This is the sort of thread we come here for!

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
            Ticket or no ticket, I feel like I should have a pit pass wristband to overhear this priceless stuff. This is the sort of thread we come here for!
            Pull up a chair and have a Coke on me, my Dad was a racer. He really appreciated the fans. He didn't race for the fame. He raced purely to win, however, nobody, I mean nobody would sit and sign autographs for the fans like Lyle. There was a kid in a wheelchair at the Rosser ranch airshow who asked what it looked like in the cockpit. Lyle got four other guys together and they got that kid up into the cockpit.
            John
            John Slack

Comment

Okay, we lost some good stuff, however Wayne was able to get us back to here.

Proceeding forward Neal is going to start a Before it was Rare Bear thread and throw up some pictures I have been working on answer to..

Big Jim is going to suggest Alan Preston actually won the Gold race.

Someone is going to comment on 1994 being their favorite year.

We are still having fun and that's where we are at. Thank you Wayne.,..no more thread splitting please.
              Last edited by BellCobraIV; 05-03-2021, 04:58 AM.
              John Slack

Comment

Wayne.,..no more thread splitting please.
                LOL... that was scary! It took forever for the backup to process, I thought we'd lost it again!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  LOL... that was scary! It took forever for the backup to process, I thought we'd lost it again!
                  Well we can move forward now.
                  John
                  John Slack

Comment

Uh, I'm sorry, but Alan Preston DID win the Gold race. Just ask him.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      You know someone else came on here before the thread got lost and came back incomplete that said 1994 was his favorite year. But 1994 had a horrible flaw in the program....that was designed by Alan Preston. 1994 was the year of the Stupid Gold, however because they took the 3 fastest airplanes out out of the midst Alan Preston got to win the Gold. I never understood the formula anyway. Suffice it to say if you put enough ADI and spray bar water on board for a race time based on a certain speed by the crew chief, and then maybe the pilot goes off script and slows down so that second place isn't as embarrassed as he should have been you run out of ADI and spray bar water. Landing with temps going out of control.

1994 not in my top 15, however very happy to hear someone enjoyed the formula for the Stupid Gold other than Alan Preston."
                      John Slack

Comment

However that picture does show what a diehard soul Howie Keefe was. Cox and Revel were sponsors for Howie at the Great Miami Air Race, prior to the Saturday heat race Lyle and Jack Slider both agreed that Howie should win so that the sponsors could go home happy. Howie Keefe became the only guy ever to blow an engine in a race the other guys were trying to let him win.
                        John Slack

Comment

Howie Keefe became the only guy ever to blow an engine in a race the other guys were trying to let him win.
                          But if you're gonna blow an engine, you might as well do it with omph! Howie did just that.

Comment

For whatever it's worth, I happened to still have a window open on the before-split thread and I was able to download all the pages (text and most of the the images.).

So if there' a place I can put them I'll do so.

Okay, we lost some good stuff, however Wayne was able to get us back to here.

Proceeding forward Neal is going to start a Before it was Rare Bear thread and throw up some pictures I have been working on answer to..

Someone is going to comment on 1994 being their favorite year.

We are still having fun and that's where we are at. Thank you Wayne.,..no more thread splitting please.

Comment

First off, any year with Miss A is a good year. Winning the gold is just gravy.

Now, I'm a little hazy on this but I do remember a couple things about the Gold Race that year (and the 's00per gold' too).

So maybe folks can check me.

- Something about the Bear loading up, sorry guys I can't hang back anymore.
                              - Something about an engine swap between Dago Red and Miss America.. I recall a horsepower vs. aerodynamics duel, and the gold race sure looked good.
                              - And there was some mix up about who flew what.. I remember seeing David Price and Alan Preston jumping into and out of a lot of mustangs.

Anybody else got a recollection?

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
                                First off, any year with Miss A is a good year. Winning the gold is just gravy.

Now, I'm a little hazy on this but I do remember a couple things about the Gold Race that year (and the 's00per gold' too).

So maybe folks can check me.

- Something about the Bear loading up, sorry guys I can't hang back anymore.
                                - Something about an engine swap between Dago Red and Miss America.. I recall a horsepower vs. aerodynamics duel, and the gold race sure looked good.
                                - And there was some mix up about who flew what.. I remember seeing David Price and Alan Preston jumping into and out of a lot of mustangs.

Anybody else got a recollection?
                                Price flew Dago but popped the Merlin coming down for the start of one of the Gold Heat races, as I recall and was done for the year. I don't know if engine parts were swapped, but I could certainly see some parts of one going into the other after the red plane was out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X