Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

I was just wondering ?

As the Tesla Roadster is such a bad ass ?

Re: Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

Originally posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
    I was just wondering ?

As the Tesla Roadster is such a bad ass ?
    With current technology? No way in hell. We aren't even at a point that electric are any more than a novelty technology with no real world application.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      With current technology? No way in hell. We aren't even at a point that electric are any more than a novelty technology with no real world application.
      How fast would you estimate at the best conditions ( really high ) an electric AC could go ?

We counted the ceiling for optimal system to be 36 km ( 116 000 ft ).

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
        How fast would you estimate at the best conditions ( really high ) an electric AC could go ?

We counted the ceiling for optimal system to be 36 km ( 116 000 ft ).
        With the battery technology we have now, maybe 300. It would have to be low level too. The range is so limited you have to chose between power / speed and run time. Getting more range means adding a crap tone of extra weight in batteries so the performance suffers.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          With the battery technology we have now, maybe 300. It would have to be low level too. The range is so limited you have to chose between power / speed and run time. Getting more range means adding a crap tone of extra weight in batteries so the performance suffers.
          How about a solar/battery hybrid (unlike the Solar Impulse 2 which cruises at night too...and charges the batteries daytime) ?
          Last edited by Jukka; 09-24-2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Here are some sweet piston engines.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I reckon it would have to be a flying wing solar (+ battery) powered AC...to go beyond M1 at 110 000 ft where there is no compression at that speed..that we can discuss about.

Alan Eustace and Baumgartner reported of the sound barrier being no longer an obstacle above 100 000 ft. Certainly the aerodynamics have to be adjusted to super sonic flight...sure.

Anyone know a deep pocket to fund this ?
              Last edited by Jukka; 09-24-2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Elon Musk says he has plans for a supersonic electric aircraft, but I would not want to distract him from getting a manned mission to Mars.
                I am curious what type of motor would be used for such an aircraft. Would it be more like a ducted fan or even like a gas turbine.

I really feel that they should provide a class at Reno for electric aircraft , so that we can watch the improvements in performance each year.

For a short flight I expect speeds over 500mph will be no problem to achieve.

Answer (1 of 5): I'm not an expert, but knowing something about aerodynamics... A turbofan is a great idea, because a turbine engine can be lightweight and small while producing lots of power. You can send that power into a really big fan to push your plane along. No reason you can't do this wit...
                Last edited by Colbourne; 09-25-2018, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colbourne View Post
                  Elon Musk says he has plans for a supersonic electric aircraft, but I would not want to distract him from getting a manned mission to Mars.
                  I am curious what type of motor would be used for such an aircraft. Would it be more like a ducted fan or even like a gas turbine.

I really feel that they should provide a class at Reno for electric aircraft , so that we can watch the improvements in performance each year.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible...ersonic-speeds
                  Think about a supersized PROTEUS ( or Quickie Rutan design..or a dragon fly in general ) with ultra long wings absorbing with 30% efficient solar panels more energy than the Solar Impulse ( around 100 KW ) which enables it to cruise to 30 000 ft...and charge the batteries on the way..as it goes higher it needs more rpms...and starts using the batteries with the solar power..lets say just 300 kw to reach FL 600.

This craft would be lighter than any other hitherto ( in wing loading ) ...a spider like with long legs ( wings ). Possibly using this stuff with foam and carbonfibre; https://www.sciencealert.com/new-sup...ger-than-steel

I think it needs just pair of 2 blade hollow carbon propellers ( variable pitch )..huge dia with genious design ( 90 % efficient like ELIPPSE ).

Key is to understand it sorta flies 100 km/h ( relativity by Galileo Galilei )...but as it has to be able soar at 110 000 ft it has to go really fast ( to create same lift as in the sea level )...and electric engines are good at this task..they need no air..cause ( almost ) no drag compared to combustion engines and weigh just 1/5th.

Get my point ? It has to be at least 50 m ( 160 ft ) spanning craft. Props rotating slowly..as the dia is 15 to 20 ft.

Easier said than done. Since it isn't using batteries all the time and needs to go nowhere it does not need so much energy density...also it can jettison some portion of the batteries at lets say 80 000 ft (energy mangement) before the speed dash.

Good plan ?
                  Last edited by Jukka; 09-25-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colbourne View Post

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible...ersonic-speeds
                    Electric formula one is working to start in 2020
                    Air Race E are revolutionising Air Racing as we know it with the first ever electric airplane race. 8 planes racing wingtip-to-wingtip in pure exhilarating action.

"500mph will be no problem"
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                      Air Race E are revolutionising Air Racing as we know it with the first ever electric airplane race. 8 planes racing wingtip-to-wingtip in pure exhilarating action.

I see M3 doable..as no compression present.

Max Q occurs usually at FL 600. This design is still crawling 250-300 mph there.
                      Last edited by Jukka; 09-25-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Just saw your more in depth explanation. I retract the laugh. Sorry, been working for years to break 400 at Reno, and I forgot that you had specified at higher altitudes. It is a good point that electric motors don't need oxygen to breath/work, which Ben Rich said was a big design point on the U-2.

So if you're going to build an all-out record breaking speed machine, then I say anything is possible with $$$. With all the complexity with the size and solar panels and detaching components, I don't see the next generation of airliner, but I do see a technology demonstrator or a speed record setter. Not sure what the rules are on breaking records, but with all the complexity this would take, it sounds simpler if you could get a tow/ride closer to altitude.
                        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Just saw your more in depth explanation. I retract the laugh. Sorry, been working for years to break 400 at Reno, and I forgot that you had specified at higher altitudes. It is a good point that electric motors don't need oxygen to breath/work, which Ben Rich said was a big design point on the U-2.

So if you're going to build an all-out record breaking speed machine, then I say anything is possible with $$$. With all the complexity with the size and solar panels and detaching components, I don't see the next generation of airliner, but I do see a technology demonstrator or a speed record setter. Not sure what the rules are on breaking records, but with all the complexity this would take, it sounds simpler if you could get a tow/ride closer to altitude.
                          I am glad yo got it.

Yes $$$ would be needed as the Solar Impulse II was a multimillion endeavour.

One possible solution is a using a rocket when the M3 has been reached ( and feather the props )..as it is very light it could actually research the higher atmosphere too..I mean stratosphere.

Comment

All I can think of when reading this topic is this -

Rich

Comment

Has there ever been a flying wing type of air racer ?

Comment

Working...
                              X