True potential of the Ghost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: True potential of the Ghost?

Yes, there were going to be some GREAT races last weekend, and I was as excited as a kid in a candy store to be there to witness them. Just saw some numbers posted over on WIX:

"Speed around the #8 pylon - 500mph 102" MP"

Can you imagine if Jimmy turned the MP up to 120-130" like Strega? Buh bye!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
      I would like to say that The Ghost sounded different than any of the other Merlins. Maybe it was just the acoustics of the scoopless Stang but, it was different. Not sure how to descibe it. Kind of a tame, scratchy growl. Not too lean but kinda mean. Does that make any sense? Whatever it was, it was cool. I do know that I was as thrilled as I've ever been about any racer on those last few laps. I've only seen laps like that in my dreams. I've always loved watching Jimmy fly and, as a kid, always loved the scoopless Stangs that have graced the course. This one was in the right hands.

It did have a different sound for sure. Sounded SWEET during qualifying from some unknown place I'd heard about. Both my young sons commented on it. Not the snarl of the others, more of a growling purr. I don't remember Stilletto having a distinctly different sound so I don't think it's (lack of) the scoop. Anyone have any insight on this? Different exhaust stacks maybe? Dago had a similar thing going on. Raspier than GG but different sounding than all the other Merlin machines.
      Last edited by hm66sk; 09-23-2011, 12:20 AM.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Was it a Merlin, or a Packard engine they were using.. It was my impression it was infact a Packard engine.

That would account for the different sound she sang.

Comment

The Packard Merlin was just a license built copy of the Rolls Royce Merlin modified for mass production.
          While the British were still hand lapping parts, we could have none of that. Had to have total interchangeability for speedy field maintenance.
          I don't think those relatively minor changes would completely alter the dynamics of the sound unless you did something like say changed the firing order and I don't believe that to be the case.
          And most if not all the Merlins at Reno and elsewhere in the US are Packard built with maybe the addition of some stouter Canadian heads and Allison rods if you're gonna go racin'.
          Last edited by hm66sk; 09-23-2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

From my experience with drag racing (every thing from pro stocks motors to funny cars) she definitely sounded modified not as Much as strega but not too far away in power levels.I think there was a 520 in her.Just my 2 cents,with inflation its ain't worth nothing.

Comment

I would like to say that The Ghost sounded different than any of the other Merlins. Maybe it was just the acoustics of the scoopless Stang but, it was different. Not sure how to descibe it. Kind of a tame, scratchy growl. Not too lean but kinda mean.

From what I recall reading, its a less "radical" (to use an overworked and under-descriptive word) than the race engines similar to what racers like Strega, Dago, Ridge Runner, and Voodoo typically have run, which generally follow the Dwight Thorn pattern of Allison rods, -9 blower gears for lots of boost, and a straight tube in place of the aftercooler for better flow and reliance on ADI for aftercooling (and each of the engine buliders like Nixon and Barrow add their own differences from what Thorn did, I'm sure). If you look at photos of the Ghost with the cowl removed, it sure looks like the stock aftercooler is still in place. I don't know if it used Allison rods or not, and I believe it was built by Shanholtzer's shop. The stated goal with the Ghost was to reach competitive speeds on less power than the other Mustangs, and I think that's EXACTLY what was being achieved. Thats why I would assume the sound was different- the prop was simply absorbing less torque and pounding air less than Strega and Voodoo's props had to.

Comment

I would like to say that The Ghost sounded different than any of the other Merlins. Maybe it was just the acoustics of the scoopless Stang but, it was different. Not sure how to descibe it. Kind of a tame, scratchy growl. Not too lean but kinda mean. Does that make any sense? Whatever it was, it was cool. I do know that I was as thrilled as I've ever been about any racer on those last few laps. I've only seen laps like that in my dreams. I've always loved watching Jimmy fly and, as a kid, always loved the scoopless Stangs that have graced the course. This one was in the right hands.

From what I could tell at a glance, as well as knowing the engine builder a bit, Jimmy's motor was quite different than those found in Strega and Voodoo. Those differences would likely account for how GG sounded on the course.

SA

Comment

My grief over this is starting to turn into anger about not ever finding out what the ghost could really do.

Wierd path, but understandable I guess.

I dont remember feeling like this with Levitz....

Comment

Flyingjbus, I feel your pain. We were cheated not once but twice! Think of the bigger picture. In keeping with her name, "The Galloping Ghost" it looks like her legacy, her lore will be evasive, elusive, a powerful energy we feel but can not fully explain, can not fully account for but we know it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                      Flyingjbus, I feel your pain. We were cheated not once but twice! Think of the bigger picture. In keeping with her name, "The Galloping Ghost" it looks like her legacy, her lore will be evasive, elusive, a powerful energy we feel but can not fully explain, can not fully account for but we know it's there.
                      I guess I'm not the only one. Everytime I see pictures of the Ghost and jimmy I well up

So fricken sad, a special person and one hell of a special gal they where, the perfect couple. Jimmy was a fixture (legend) at the races since I've been going (1978).

I'm still trying to figure out if its normal for a person (me) to have such feelings towards a mechnical object.

Maybe it was the spirit and the dreams they offered us.

One thing for sure in my eyes, the Ghost will be the greatest plane to ever grace our skies. Go Ghost Go will forever be burned in my brain.

Hans Reisel

Comment

Hans, I think it's normal. As I said in a post a few days ago, Ghost was a member of the family in her own right. We loved her. I grew up with her. My dad crewed on her when Cliff Cummins owned her and as I've grown up so did she. Her changes in ownership, modifications and paint jobs were sort of the equivalent of the changes to us as we grew. This year we thought she had come into her own, only to watch her life ended as well.

I have a little "altar" in my home. Right now it's graced with pictures of Jimmy and Ghost.

When we lost Gary, I mourned his loss, but not MA's. But then, she really didn't have the sort of history with us that Ghost had. I never had that feeling of affection and attachment to MAII.
                        sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                        http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                          Hans, not just twice! Think of Tsunami, Pond Racer, and probably others... I think we saw how fast Dago could go on that given day (in 2003 was it?) but even Dago's program wasn't complete AFAIK.
                          Last edited by MRussell; 09-23-2011, 10:07 AM.
                          _________
                          -Matt
                          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out if its normal for a person (me) to have such feelings towards a mechnical object.
                            And I thought I was the only one and was feeling really weird about it. Now I don't feel so bad.

Comment

I really miss the Red Baron........

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post

Maybe it was the spirit and the dreams they offered us.

One thing for sure in my eyes, the Ghost will be the greatest plane to ever grace our skies. Go Ghost Go will forever be burned in my brain.
                                That's pretty much the way I'm feeling right now, and why I started the thread. To me, it's kind of like the death of a child vs. someone that lives into their 90's or beyond. In the child there are lost dreams, unrealized potential, etc., but with the 90+ year old, you can say that they lived a long, productive life and more easily be at peace with the circumstances.

The Ghost certainly lived a long and fruitful life as a racer, but it had been reincarnated, and we ALL wanted to see it elevate the bar in it's new lease on life.

Comment

Working...
                                X