Clear All

Re: Bear On The Move!

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Stu+Ezell=Texas
    Lol TF?

Sorry Randy, just couldnt resist

Comment

I see American Spirit or whatever it's called, now has an engine and nose gear.

Jarrod

Comment

Looks quite rusty.
        "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
          Looks quite rusty.
          Glad it's not just me. Thought it was the lighting or something.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
            Those wings stick out a looooooooong ways, hope she makes the trip ok.
            Here's the Big question.....why are they moving her to Texas?
            Brian
            Reasons are buried in many different threads here.. Short answer, disagreement between owner and former engineer, crew chief, crew.. Rod Lewis wants her closer to home so he can watch over whatever happens to her more closely..

I once prepared a boss's '64 P 356 for an open trailer move from Portland to his Phoenix area summer home... soft cover, big cargo bag and shrink wrap kept it pristine for the move.

Hard for me to believe that they would actually move her more than a few feet without some sort of road rash protection. Even just flying debris.. wonder if they ever heard of rock dings on front panels? If that were my airplane, we'd have a small army with rolls of bubble wrap and shrink wrap... jusst sayin'

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              Reasons are buried in many different threads here.. Short answer, disagreement between owner and former engineer, crew chief, crew.. Rod Lewis wants her closer to home so he can watch over whatever happens to her more closely..

I once prepared a boss's '64 P 356 for an open trailer move from Portland to his Phoenix area summer home... soft cover, big cargo bag and shrink wrap kept it pristine for the move.

Hard for me to believe that they would actually move her more than a few feet without some sort of road rash protection. Even just flying debris.. wonder if they ever heard of rock dings on front panels? If that were my airplane, we'd have a small army with rolls of bubble wrap and shrink wrap... jusst sayin'

Whats it matter? Smithsonian can restore Her when She arrives...
              D Abshier

Comment

Oh well, it's overdue for a new paint job, anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                  Never thought I'd see her on a truck...
                  Just remember:

Comment

Well...

It belongs to him and he can this do with it as he pleases

or perhaps there's a very talented and respected rebuilder in Texas that will get some quality time with her ala several other racers.

Comment

Who knows what's the width of the wings? The trailer is probably, 8' or 8'6" wide if it's a standard width trailer.

And the reason they don't fly it to Texas is because?

I want to see the tail video of the trip. Wonder if they will post it and make it available for us to see?
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                        Who knows what's the width of the wings? The trailer is probably, 8' or 8'6" wide if it's a standard width trailer.

And the reason they don't fly it to Texas is because?

I want to see the tail video of the trip. Wonder if they will post it and make it available for us to see?

22'ish foot wingspan with tips removed.

Not flying due to owners decision. his plane, his call. Necessity is a matter best left un-discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                          22'ish foot wingspan with tips removed.

Not flying due to owners decision. his plane, his call. Necessity is a matter best left un-discussed.
                          22 feet is taking up a lot of space on a freeway. If the wingspan is 22 feet, I imagine the truck will be occupying 2 lanes?

Is the convoy only a semi truck and a only one chase truck?

I wonder how the insurance company works with if the Bear gets hit enroute?
                          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Anyone know how long the Bear was based at Stead?

Owner's in Texas, plane going to Texas. I get it.

Still sad to see it go. End of an era....
                            Mark Johnson
                            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                              "All my ex's live in Texas..."
                              and thats why i hang my hat in tenesse lol sorry couldnt help it

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                                22 feet is taking up a lot of space on a freeway. If the wingspan is 22 feet, I imagine the truck will be occupying 2 lanes?

Is the convoy only a semi truck and a only one chase truck?

I wonder how the insurance company works with if the Bear gets hit enroute?

In talking with the driver, his attitude was that this move would be a pain. The wings are high so other drivers will not get the sense of how wide it is. I did see 3 pilot vehicles there.

I'm hoping for the best for the Bear and safe travels. He's been a fixture of Reno for decades and almost like a close friend. I sure will miss the random fly overs.

Comment

Working...
                                X