Tsunami construction photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami construction photos

Thanks everyone for sharing the Tsunami photos and info. A lot of hard work and sweat put into Tsunami project. Not to mention the money invested. I am sure Tsunami would have won the Gold if she had gone on. By the way, still have the Tsunami frisbee hanging on my computer room wall. Good memories.

Frank C.

Comment

these are great are there any more out there???

Comment

I will keep looking, but I think I have posted all I have regarding Tsunami construction.

Dan

Comment

It is amazing to see everyone still talking about my Grandfather.

I wanted to let you all know that we have started rebuilding Tsunami this past month. Let me re-phrase that, we started disassembling the aircraft. There is very little that we can salvage, however many of the parts from the firewall back are still intact enough that we will be able to make forms from them. We have the original schematics, but like most people know on this forum, Jack loved to “tinker.” Many parts from the original design were altered throughout the years, which will make it difficult to reproduce. I have talked with my aunt about changing certain aspects of the plane that obviously didn’t work so well. (Such as the flaps and landing gear) Hopefully we will be able to incorporate these changes, so that no unfortunate accidents occur again. We have a long road ahead of us, but with the support of you guys and the rest of the aviation world hopefully we can get her back in the air before you know it.

If you would like to know more about the project my aunt has a website up @ www.rebuildtsunami.org

P.S. I won’t pretend to know everything about high-performance aircraft. I was around it everyday growing up until I turned six in 91’. My knowledge is obviously limited and any insight would be gratifying.

John Bjornstad
          Last edited by LittleJR; 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Here's a couple more pics I found.
            Last edited by LittleJR; 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

little JR those are AWSOME any more would like to see the rebuilding

Comment

Sounds like the plan is to fly it again......can you elaborate on the idea? race it? Show it?
                Red
                chanting...400+

Comment

I sat Sharon down today and discussed the plans for Tsunami. If it were completely up to me I'd race it; however she brought up valid opposing points. The fact is, the aircraft's technology is almost twenty years behind current competitors. We don't have the knowledge or the resources my grandpa had; and building a competitive racer would take considerably more money. Having said that, the plan is to replicate the 1991 version and fly it at air-shows.

I won't give up that easily. Over the next year I will be doing research and development on a modified version. Hopefully within that time frame I can start building the airframe simultaneously with the original.

I don't have anymore pictures at this time, but I'll get some up in the next day or two.

Comment

if you do that can you please paint it in the sliver/blue paint i would love to see that

Comment

Not often i feel the need to post BUT surely here is someone (little JR)who needs the help of all the wise heads and hands here on the board - how about a board thread like the blind mans buff-Tusnami is far too important a piece of RENO history to just let gather dust in a container or even a museum!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post
                        I sat Sharon down today and discussed the plans for Tsunami. If it were completely up to me I'd race it; however she brought up valid opposing points. The fact is, the aircraft's technology is almost twenty years behind current competitors. We don't have the knowledge or the resources my grandpa had; and building a competitive racer would take considerably more money. Having said that, the plan is to replicate the 1991 version and fly it at air-shows.

I won't give up that easily. Over the next year I will be doing research and development on a modified version. Hopefully within that time frame I can start building the airframe simultaneously with the original.

I don't have anymore pictures at this time, but I'll get some up in the next day or two.
                        I would bet with a modern engine program, that airplane would not be that far behind in it's 1991 form.

Comment

Originally posted by Paynts View Post
                          Not often i feel the need to post BUT surely here is someone (little JR)who needs the help of all the wise heads and hands here on the board - how about a board thread like the blind mans buff-Tusnami is far too important a piece of RENO history to just let gather dust in a container or even a museum!
                          You asked, I did it. It is a sticky at the top of the page.

Now if we can all get a donation going for JR and fam. to help get her rebuilt. We may see a tsunami sooner rather than later.

Comment

Thanks again guys for all the support. I can definitely use any advice you may have. This is all pretty new to me. When I got involved with the Tsunami project a couple months ago, I didn’t have much of any aviation experience to speak of since I was young. I switched my major this semester to professional pilot, so I can do a little catching up. I fly as often as the weather permits and I have my first solo tomorrow. Fortunately my uncle is an A&P and an AI; he’s leading the rebuilding process and also giving me a crash course on aircraft mechanics. Rebuilding Tsunami is my number one priority. I’ll give updates when I can and I’m hoping to update the website soon while incorporating a blog regarding the project.

BEARCLAW777, I’ll see what I can do on the paint scheme.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pt17av8r View Post
                              Actually, I am quite sure these photos were taken at the Van Nuys airport, just a few steps away from John O'Crawleys "Precision Air Radio". I would go out there as a kid and help buck rivets & general grunt stuff, and loved every second of it! I am not sure I ever went to the Sun Valley location. Of course....CRS is setting in....

Here are a couple more shots....

Dan
                              Actually all the photo's shown are the Sun Valley location. The Van Nuys location was a sheet metal hanger with no block walls or roll up door. The photo's shown are clearly a block building. In addition the fuselage appears well along in its construction. It was actually constructed at Van Nuys in the end hanger rom near John O'Crowley's.

Comment

Just to give you all an update. Tsunami will become a racer again!

I put a page up on Facebook where I will be showing updates on her progress. Tsunami Air Racing

Comment

Working...
                                X