Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quiz time. Purpose built racers

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
    If I remember correctly, wasn't it a Fiat that ran in 1987. And didn't Bucareli run a contraprop Mustang in 88? I mean, he put it in the dirt on the pace lap, but it did make the Gold field.
    That wasn't Buccarelli... that was Don Whittington in Precious Metal/World Jet.

Buccarelli didn't purchase PM from the Whittingtons until much later...

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
      If I remember correctly, wasn't it a Fiat that ran in 1987. And didn't Bucareli run a contraprop Mustang in 88? I mean, he put it in the dirt on the pace lap, but it did make the Gold field.
      I think it was Guido Z's fiat with a Merlin - nothing I would consider to be a purpose built racer. The counter-rotating prop Mustang was Precious Metal (although I don't think it had that name on it yet that year?) owned and flown by Don Wittington.

Comment

Guido Zuccoli's Fiat G.59 "Ciao Bella" in 1987 was totally stock, fresh from restoration by Sanders.

By sheer coincidence Brad's 89 Gold video is the one I chose to show my wife last night to explain what I'm obsessed with this week!
        Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
          That wasn't Buccarelli... that was Don Whittington in Precious Metal/World Jet.

Buccarelli didn't purchase PM from the Whittingtons until much later...

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
            Guido Zuccoli's Fiat G.59 "Ciao Bella" in 1987 was totally stock, fresh from restoration by Sanders.
            Thats the one. He was 10' above the top of the hill. I have a VHS of it, but the camera man freaked and hit the dirt as well. It was amazing.

Comment

I believe 88 was the mega mayday year with Strega, the Bear and Leeward all maydaying near or at the same time. . . . Fun times

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                Thats the one. He was 10' above the top of the hill. I have a VHS of it, but the camera man freaked and hit the dirt as well. It was amazing.
                Oh the hill, Lefty in white lightning was my favorite.

What a special time those years were.

Comment

In 1988 all but one existing modified racers were at Reno. The only one missing was Blind Man's Bluff.

1. Super Corsair
                  4. Dago Red
                  6. Sumthin' Else
                  7. Strega
                  8. Dreadnought
                  9. Leeward Air Ranch Special
                  09. Precious Metal
                  15. Furias
                  18. Tsunami
                  19. Vendetta
                  69. Georgia Mae
                  77. Rare Bear
                  84. Stiletto
                  97. Mr. Awesome
                  101. Perestroika

Strega blew both race motors during qualifying and did not race. Vendetta blew two motors and did not qualify. Mr. Awesome was parked after Thursday's heat race. Leeward Air Ranch Special landed off-runway on Saturday. Sumthin' Else was running a stock motor and finished 2nd in the Silver behind rookie Bill Rheinschild in Risky Business. Perestroika finished fourth in the Silver. That left Super Corsair, Dago Red, Dreadnought, Precious Metal, Furias, Tsunami, Georgia Mae, Rare Bear, and Stiletto as the 9 aircraft in the Championship race. And yes, given that Georgia Mae had clipped wings, a modified scoop, and a lower-than-stock profile canopy, I consider it a modified racer.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                    I realize that now. Duh. I should know this.

I think this is somewhere in the 86-88 range

The only year the plane ran as Specter was 1983.

Comment

Working...
                    X