Monday Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Summary

Since nobody has done it yet, i thought i would give a summary of today's races for those who don't really know;
    Formula One: About half of the class qualified including Scarlet Screamer and Madness. Those placed the top two at 246 and 241mph.
    Biplane: About one third of the biplanes qualified today. Since we can all assume that Aberle and Phantom are going to take it like normal, todays top qualifier was Lady Luck at 200mph.
    T6: Only one qualifier today. Eros flown by Lee Oman at a speed of 205mph.
    Sport: Good day for sport class today. Around a quarter of the class qualified and the match ups are already good. The top two are Lancairs named Miss Karen flown by Lynn Farnsworth and at 368mph and #8 flown by David Sterling at a speed of 358mph. Unleashed also qualified a good 268 as well!
    Jet: Almost all of the jets have qualified and i am very surprised at the results. 10 out of the 15 qualified today and 6 were L-39's who apparently run good on the new course. The first place qualifier smoked the L-29's by about 80 mph. The top qualifier was Double Delite flown by Robert Pezold at a speed of 462mph.
    Unlimited THE BAD BOYS OF AIR RACING!! The best news of today is Precious Metal flown by Thom Richard at a speed of 451.352. Thom set the bar at Unlimited pole position with the fastest of the fast still to qualify. Second place was the beautiful fury Sawbones at a speed of 424, and third was Steadfast at 394.
    Let me know if you guys want these to continue or if you know-it-alls think I'm wasting my time Can't wait for tomorrow!!!
    -GRNDP51
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-10-2012, 08:19 PM. Reason: Statistic change**
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Monday Summary

Thankyou for posting a summary. I would read this everyday if you posted such information. Many of us cannot be there so it's helpful to hear what's going on.

This was in your post. Is the speed correct of 458mph?

"#8 flown by David Sterling at a speed of 458mph"

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
      Thankyou for posting a summary. I would read this everyday if you posted such information. Many of us cannot be there so it's helpful to hear what's going on.

This was in your post. Is the speed correct of 458mph?

"#8 flown by David Sterling at a speed of 458mph"
      Thats the Lancair with Dago Reds race Merlin under the hood......

Comment

It should be 358mph.

Comment

Hahahahaha yeah guys that's the Merlin powered super Lancair!! Sorry for the misinformation, thanks for the corrections I had a lot of speeds jumbled up in my head...
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

GRNDP51,
            I can think of a few reasons that a thread like this will be useful.

1) People in the pits can read this thread and keep up to speed on whats happening.
            2) People not able to attend can read this thread to keep up on events.
            3) A great way to provide info so that new threads can be started.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric B View Post
              It should be 358mph.
              You can go back to the original post and edit it if you'd like. You just cannot edit the main title.

Comment

GRNDP51, yes please, more summaries would be most appreciated! Can't make it to Reno this year, stuck at my desk at work and miserable, any info. will make it more bearable! THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                  Thats the Lancair with Dago Reds race Merlin under the hood......
                  Wondering if you were to reduce the size to a one seater and keep the same horsepower, what kind of speeds could you achieve?

Comment

Changed it and thanks to the supporters of this thread. I will continue tomorrow after qualifying ceases as well as wednesday and thursday. I head up friday and stay til sunday so the summaries will have to end thursday. I imagine someone will pick up for my slack. Any takers???
                    See ya tomorrow for another day of the worlds fastest motorsport
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      Since nobody has done it yet, i thought i would give a summary of today's races for those who don't really know;
                      Formula One: About half of the class qualified including Scarlet Screamer and Madness. Those placed the top two at 246 and 241mph.
                      Biplane: About one third of the biplanes qualified today. Since we can all assume that Aberle and Phantom are going to take it like normal, todays top qualifier was Lady Luck at 200mph.
                      T6: Only one qualifier today. Eros flown by Lee Oman at a speed of 205mph.
                      Sport: Good day for sport class today. Around a quarter of the class qualified and the match ups are already good. The top two are Lancairs named Miss Karen flown by Lynn Farnsworth and at 368mph and #8 flown by David Sterling at a speed of 358mph. Unleashed also qualified a good 268 as well!
                      Jet: Almost all of the jets have qualified and i am very surprised at the results. 10 out of the 15 qualified today and 6 were L-39's who apparently run good on the new course. The first place qualifier smoked the L-29's by about 80 mph. The top qualifier was Double Delite flown by Robert Pezold at a speed of 462mph.
                      Unlimited THE BAD BOYS OF AIR RACING!! The best news of today is Precious Metal flown by Thom Richard at a speed of 451.352. Thom set the bar at Unlimited pole position with the fastest of the fast still to qualify. Second place was the beautiful fury Sawbones at a speed of 424, and third was Steadfast at 394.
                      Let me know if you guys want these to continue or if you know-it-alls think I'm wasting my time Can't wait for tomorrow!!!
                      -GRNDP51
                      I can wait, good report. Thank you!

Comment

Great idea GRNDP51! Thank you.

This can also serve as a daily thread for those with little observations/notes/trivia/and insights to add to each day's post. Many times a guy has something of value to add but doesn't want to start a whole new thread on the thought. Here we can add little notes on the day that will benefit all and add to the color for those unable to attend.

As an example let me add some Formula One notes to what you have said:

Scarlet Screamer sits at P-1 tonight but at least two racers threaten to bump it down tomorrow. The race #50 Cassutt was based at Nampa, Idaho in 1993 when it first debuted. Scotty Crandlemire and Patrick Rediker were both on our sales staff there with the Denney Aerocraft Kitfox. Fun times.

Rediker qualified the plane 22nd fastest in 1993 at 177.686. Owner Scotty Crandlemire took over in 1994 and the humble beginnings continued with a 25th place qualifying speed of 176.677

By 1998/1999 Scotty was qualifying his much evolved racer in the 232 mph range. Scotty's last race with it was in 1999 where he picked up a 7th place Gold finish.

In 2002 the Screamer was back with Birch Entriken flying her. Qualified 6th at 221.941, but in 2003 a career best speed of 254.830 made it 3rd fastest in the field. Birch raced her three more years with qualifying speeds down to the 232 to 241 range.

Gary Davis started racing the Screamer in 2007 and did very well scoring a 5th palce Gold finish that year, and TWO 2nd place Gold finishes in 2008 & 2009!

Davis went 242.017 in 2009 for 4th quick, so Vito's speed today of 246.430 is the career second fastest qualifying speed for race #50.

I don't know all that much about race #87 "Madness" with Steve Temple but RARA records show Steve has raced it since 2006 and today's qualifying speed of 241.142 beats its previous best of 240.284 recorded in 2009. Are there ties to the history of "Madness" and the old #55 Bummer's Bullet, and #96 Madder Maxx? (both qualified in the mid-240's in the 1990's.)

Race #3 "Miss U" is the former "Sly Dog" campaigned by Smokey Young. It qualified third in 2008 at 242.785.

Lowell

Comment

Thanks so much for that Lowell! As I do not know much history of the planes (not nearly as much as you), it's great to have someone to back me up and give some analysis to what's going on. GREAT IDEA!
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Nice reply Lowell.

Lowell wrote, "...don't know all that much about race #87 "Madness" with Steve Temple but RARA records show Steve has raced it since 2006 and today's qualifying speed of 241.142 beats its previous best of 240.284 recorded in 2009. Are there ties to the history of "Madness" and the old #55 Bummer's Bullet, and #96 Madder Maxx? (both qualified in the mid-240's in the 1990's.)" and if (big IF) I recall correctly, there were two GR-7s. #55 "Bummer's Bullett" was sold and crashed on a test flight with the new owner.

The other GR-7 (originally #96) has had a few names and is now "Madness." Others (again, IIRC) have been "Blue Streak" and "Geronimo".

Here's the accident report on #55:

Comment

Working...
                            X