Planes of Fame the Early Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Planes of Fame the Early Years

Sept 1968, The Air Museum, Ontario CA (ONT)
    Attached Files

Comment

You know, with some other aero improvements, kinda makes you wonder. Boil off system to get rid of the radiators under the engine. Just makes you wonder.

Comment

And, yes, Sue Parish's P-40N was painted pink out of the can.
        But it is a correct color match to the P-40's operating in North Africa that were painted tan out of the can that then faded to the pink under the African sun.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
          You know, with some other aero improvements, kinda makes you wonder. Boil off system to get rid of the radiators under the engine. Just makes you wonder.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	colrhawk4a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	228107
          remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21872[/ATTACH]

Even Planes of Fame can't resurect that unicorn

Comment

Leo, were either of the two shown in the above video used in the movie? If so, do you know which one? Thanks
              If memory serves me correctly, they ended up with 3 different airplanes used in the movie. One used for the ground shots, the second one which tragically crashed killing Paul Mantz, and the 3rd one being the O-47.
              Brian

Comment

And, yes, Sue Parish's P-40N was painted pink out of the can.
                But it is a correct color match to the P-40's operating in North Africa that were painted tan out of the can that then faded to the pink under the African sun.
                But I bet the eyelashes aren't USAAF standard...

T J

Comment

Thank you Doug, for a walk in time! We must be very thankful for those who had the foresight to safe not only the aircraft, but the great stories they hold.

I am amazed at how many different type of aircraft they had acquired. The crossover to the jet age was in it's early stages, the engineer's and test pilot's, crew's must have had a lot of fun!

The conversation's at Pancho's "Happy Bottom Riding Club"............... would have been interesting!

Happy Holidays!

Comment

At 00:53 is N4725V, which is listed as being the aircraft used in the movie.

not sure where I got this shot, years ago while doing a little research but it shows the mods made to it fairly well.
                    Attached Files
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Thanks Leo. One of my all time favorite movies.................the oringal one, is about a million times better then then the latest one made.
                      Not to nit pick, but I've often wondered in a real life scenario, the effect the plexiglass windshields placed on the wings would have had on the aerodynamics. I would think at the least they would have caused some buffering. Why wouldn't they have placed the passengers down in the fuselage somewhere? Still a great movie.
                      Brian
                      Last edited by supercub; 12-20-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

The original is one of my all time favorites also, and one even my wife will watch (those are rare ).
                        I really like the opening of the remake, with Johnny Cash singing while the C-119 flies around the desert. While the remake lacks something of the suspense of the older one, it's not bad.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

One of the big differences in the two movies is, the original portrayed the hardship the characters were enduring what with the 1 pint of water a day, the heat, etc etc. The latest movie had the characters listening to and dancing to music and Capt Towns using a ratchet as a sound effect. The most recent movie never conveyed the hardship the original movie did. Loved the original, but do have to admit, I have seen the latest one a few times.............why? heck, I'll watch just about anything with airplanes
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                            Thanks Leo. One of my all time favorite movies.................the oringal one, is about a million times better then then the latest one made.
                            Not to nit pick, but I've often wondered in a real life scenario, the effect the plexiglass windshields placed on the wings would have had on the aerodynamics. I would think at the least they would have caused some buffering. Why wouldn't they have placed the passengers down in the fuselage somewhere? Still a great movie.
                            Brian
                            I've wondered about those same things many times. I believe in the movie that Heinrich states the reasoning behind the crew being on the wing was for CG reasons.
                            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Favorite part of the original is when Heinrich tells Towns and his co pilot that he was a MODEL airplane designer. The look on their faces.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21868[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21869[/ATTACH]
                                Found another picture

remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Working...
                                X