Super Legacy Progress Etc..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Legacy Progress Etc..

It was mentioned in another thread that I share some updates on the Super Legacy I have been building. I will admit, I'm probably more critical of my own work so it is hard for me to find photos I'm comfortable sharing. But, here are a few:

This is the Lycoming IO-580-X preparing to run on the Dyno at Barrett. We ran it normally aspirated just to seat the rings and check everything out. Turbos come after it is on the airframe. So technically it will be a TIO-580-X

Speaking of Turbos.. Heavily modified Garrett turbos. I have to thank Ian Baker and Advanced Aero Components for working with me to get these built. They were modified by GCG Turbo in Australia, and are going to be sweet. Booooooooost!!!

Canopy is done, and for those that haven't built a canopy, that is a big deal. It has a credit card thickness gap around the opening, that will probably have to be opened up for paint. Turned out super nice I think.

I have to thank Jon Sharp for giving me an introduction to Hartzell. Without that, I probably wouldn't have been able to get this prop. This is the prop that Hartzell designed for the NXT, and what has gone the fastest. Counterweighted and full feathering.

The fuselage is very complete. I have already done the tail wrap and about to finish up the beluga belly install. The part I got, molded off of Race #30, needed a lot of internal support. I built carbon ribs with cap strips and then foam filled the thin areas so it would be supported all the way to the edge. The ribs make it easy to see the change from the stock shape to the modified beluga belly shape. Probably bond on the belly skin in the next couple days.

How it sits today. Beringer wheels and brakes are not installed yet. Waiting until I'm done spraying primer.

So in other Sport Class news, here are the few things I know about going on:
    Bob Mills purchased #47 Lucky Mojo from the late Gary Mead, so it will stay in the racing family.
    Blue Thunder is being repaired as well as all of the other Thunder Mustangs getting some winter updates.
    Richard Ogg seems focused on his Super Legacy now that his Glasair, the plastic piglet, went up in flames last year.
    Karl Grove is nearing first flight of his Super Legacy with the ACE-568 engine.
    Race #30 is back on the east coast and you can bet will not sit idle all winter.
    Race #44 is for sale, $340k last I heard.
    Unleashed is sitting in a cold hangar, not doing much of anything..

That is all I know. Thanks
    Tom McNerney
    Unleashed Air Racing

Re: Super Legacy Progress Etc..

Thanks for the updates! I love seeing progress being posted on any bird, but this one is just plain awesome! Please keep them coming when time allows!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Hi Tom,

your build Looks great indeed
      What is your plan, do you think it will be ready for this years races? Seems a lot of work is done but still a lot of work needs to be done
      Also thanks a lot for the update on the other racers Is there any information about #33? May be Elliot has some news he can share

Again, looking forward to read and see pics of your progress

Franz
      Last edited by glider69; 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Awesome work, Tom! I'm excited to see this race! Do you have a paint scheme picked out?

Comment

Mr. Dude,

WOW! That really looks GREAT!!!! Well done! Glad you got the very cool prop! That is an AWESOME prop with your engine! You picked well with Barrett. Hopefully Monty was in the loop for your work and testing, good smart engine man. Let us know if we can help you in any way!!! Keep at it!

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
            Thanks for the updates! I love seeing progress being posted on any bird, but this one is just plain awesome! Please keep them coming when time allows!
            Thanks Matt, I'll share when I can. Although a lot of times I need to be reminded. When I work on it everyday, I forget others don't see what I see.

Originally posted by glider69 View Post
            Hi Tom,

your build Looks great indeed
            What is your plan, do you think it will be ready for this years races? Seems a lot of work is done but still a lot of work needs to be done
            Also thanks a lot for the update on the other racers Is there any information about #33? May be Elliot has some news he can share

Again, looking forward to read and see pics of your progress

Franz
            The plan is to race it this year. My career sort of depends on it I think, so that is a motivator. There is a lot to be done, but believe it or not a lot of the hard stuff is now behind me. All I know about #33 is the owner, Donald, doesn't quit because of a failed engine. He documents well and I'm sure has made adjustments for the next engine, which is probably in the works already, if I were to guess. Maybe he'll chime in.

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
            Awesome work, Tom! I'm excited to see this race! Do you have a paint scheme picked out?
            Well, I can see it in my head, but I haven't really put pen to paper yet. It will be a little more edgy than just a pretty airplane. You can see a pretty Legacy all day, but one that has some bite stands out in my opinion. Unleashed sure does raise a lot of questions on the ramp in the middle of the country.

Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
            Mr. Dude,

WOW! That really looks GREAT!!!! Well done! Glad you got the very cool prop! That is an AWESOME prop with your engine! You picked well with Barrett. Hopefully Monty was in the loop for your work and testing, good smart engine man. Let us know if we can help you in any way!!! Keep at it!

Jon
            Thanks again Jon. I think this prop is crucial to making this airplane above some of the other Legacy racers. Given the performance Nemesis achieved with it I know it is capable, it is now a matter of making everything else follow it.
            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Thanks for posting an update. Awesome to see the progress!
              Random Air Blog

Comment

A more edgy paint scheme works for me! I like something that stands out, can't wait to see what it looks like!

Comment

!! Really. Super. Exciting. !!

Comment

My wish has been granted!!! Thanks a lot for the updates Tom.

I follow the Grove Legacy on Facebook a lot and haven't seen too much of yours and it looks incredible!!

2017 is gonna be goooooood
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

2 of those turbos are good for north of 600hp though I'm sure the custom work you mentioned has to do with the large cubic inches and relatively low rpms as compared to cars so.........a lot of the car engine understanding concerning turbo sizing and a/r doesn't apply so much.

Your turbo guys are blazing a new trail.....wtg.

Comment

Apparently I don't have FTP access to my server at the moment, so I'll have to share some updated photos later.

Moral of the story, work continues on the airframe mostly, which has just about all of the major structural composite work completed. I still need to design and build an instrument panel, close the leading edge of the wing, and make a few fuel plumbing changes to the wings, then I'd say the airframe is ready for firewall forward and wiring. Not to make either of those sound simple...

85% of the engine parts are in my shop now, with only the new waste gate system and baffle parts left to finish design work on. Then the waste gate controller, which we are farming out to MoTeC. The exhaust manifolds I have, but getting them overboard will have to be hand built, and not easy. I think I'm going to have to buy a tig welder and just learn how to do it myself.

My piano hinge flap system needs a few details on the top of the flap, but I'll do that after I close the stub wings, which is one of the very last steps. Leaving those open as long as possible makes any gear work really easy. After they are closed, working in the gear well sucks.

The last week has been mostly doing the final bodywork on the top half of the Beluga belly, and the tail group. I'd like to get everything aft of the canopy in flyable primer by the weekend. We'll see. I'll follow up later when I can host some new photos.
                        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Right on! I love the updates and the build process; makes me feel like I'm right there!

Thanks!
                          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Thanks for the update! It is going to be exciting to see this plane at Reno! Any chance of Reno 2018?
                            Random Air Blog

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Dude. Appreciate your willingness to allow everyone to follow along in your efforts! One the many things I really love about this sport...Keep on, keepin' on!
                              Owen Ashurst
                              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X