Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Quickie Article / TWERP crash photos

Hey Guys,

The article below is the first coverage of the rest of the TWERP program.

There was some discussion about TWERP on AAFO when we were building up to the first flight, then after the accident we got so many great messages from AAFOers. Thank you for that, it meant a lot during a very complicated time.

I apologize for the delay, these kinds of things are a professional and legal minefield and we needed to take our time to make sure we did right by our customers first.

That being said we are excited to be able to talk about these details more now, and excited that Kitplanes Magazine is the first to cover the story or release crash photos. Thank you Paul Dye for the continued support of cool little airplanes.

airplanes are cool

Elliot
    661-754-5288

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/34_3/exploring/High-Desert-Tales-Scary-Stuff_21769-1.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	242114Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	242115Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	242116
    Last edited by laminar; 02-04-2017, 03:24 PM.

Re: Jet Quickie Article / TWERP crash photos

Wow Elliott, you are certainly one very lucky guy!! GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      Wow Elliott, you are certainly one very lucky guy!! GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!!
      Thank you Wayne.

Comment

I'm glad you were finally able to talk about this, I have no doubt a lot of people will learn from your insight.

Also seeing the photo of the wrecked fuselage makes me shudder. I am so glad you're still with us!

-Connor

Comment

Gnarly! Glad you walked away.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Elliot,

Can you please post the cockpit footage? It will be a learning experience for everyone.

Comment

Great job Elliot. Both your insight to the real world & the fact we get to see you at your best at the 2017 Air Races.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

This may be too little too late, but it is worth mentioning. That visor you show in your photos is the incorrect visor for the MBU-20/p mask. That visor is cut for the MBU-12/p mask. The correct visor offers more protection, especially in the area where it looks like you got hit. Now, considering it knocked it off, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. But, I'd get it corrected regardless. You have to tell Gibson-Barnes exactly what you want, in my experience. I only buy there if I have to. Old lens with the "Contour" sticker is for the -12. Hard to tell the difference until you put it on. (my com wires have changed since this photo)

Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Hey Tom I know it's off this threads topic, but do you have any recent pictures of your legacy you could put in a new thread? Would love to see how it's coming
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                    Hey Tom I know it's off this threads topic, but do you have any recent pictures of your legacy you could put in a new thread? Would love to see how it's coming
                    Sure do, I'll start one.
                    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                      This may be too little too late, but it is worth mentioning. That visor you show in your photos is the incorrect visor for the MBU-20/p mask. That visor is cut for the MBU-12/p mask. The correct visor offers more protection, especially in the area where it looks like you got hit. Now, considering it knocked it off, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. But, I'd get it corrected regardless. You have to tell Gibson-Barnes exactly what you want, in my experience. I only buy there if I have to. Old lens with the "Contour" sticker is for the -12. Hard to tell the difference until you put it on. (my com wires have changed since this photo)

Awesome!! Thank you!!!

We are aware the visor is for the MBU-12, its in the upcoming article on the subject. When I talked to the guys at Gibson they didn't have the 20 visor. Great to hear that is sorted!!!

Do you worry about your parachute risors getting caught on the permanently installed boom mic?

Thank you again!
                      Elliot
                      Last edited by laminar; 02-17-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Hi Elliot,

just received my copy of Kitplanes and read your article again. Thanks a lot for letting us participate in your experience
                        Looking forward to see you again in September
                        By the way, wich airplane are you going to fly around the pylons? What is the status of race #33, will it be ready for the races? Or will we see your F1 plane again?
                        Anyhow, flights to reno are booked and we will be there to see you racing

Best regards from Germany,
                        Franz

Comment

Originally posted by glider69 View Post
                          Hi Elliot,

just received my copy of Kitplanes and read your article again. Thanks a lot for letting us participate in your experience
                          Looking forward to see you again in September
                          By the way, wich airplane are you going to fly around the pylons? What is the status of race #33, will it be ready for the races? Or will we see your F1 plane again?
                          Anyhow, flights to reno are booked and we will be there to see you racing

Best regards from Germany,
                          Franz
                          Franz,

Thank you for the note.

We are pretty slammed right now with a bunch of cool projects. Our plan is to put Wasabi on the course in 2017, but right now there is a bunch of other stuff in front of it in line.

Thanks again!!

Elliot
                          661-754-5288

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
                            Do you worry about your parachute risors getting caught on the permanently installed boom mic?
                            Elliot
                            Nope.. I mean if it did, it would only be an inconvenience. The Navy issued a bunch of helmets with both a fixed mic and bayonet receivers for a mask.
                            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                              Nope.. I mean if it did, it would only be an inconvenience. The Navy issued a bunch of helmets with both a fixed mic and bayonet receivers for a mask.
                              Interesting point.

I don't have enough jumps to weigh in on the subject, but some folks get pretty wound up about it.

Elliot

Comment

Working...
                              X