Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Warbirds" - or stockers you'd be thrilled to see....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Warbirds" - or stockers you'd be thrilled to see....

A Twin Warbird Class:
    P-61
    P-38
    Do-335
    A-26
    Mosquito
    F-82
    F-7F

As much as I'd like to see a P-38 as the pace plane, I'd rather see it race. They can start the race with a B-25.
    Sky Critter

Comment

An Me-262 ! ( what's become of the aircraft which was at Ione ?)
      Rampking

Comment

Not "warbirds" but I would love to see Kermit Weeks bring his collection listed below of Golden Age racers and do some parade/race laps???

Brown B-2 "Miss Los Angeles"
        DGA-5 "Ike"
        Gee Bee R2
        Gee Bee Y Sportster
        Gee Bee Z
        Laird Super Solution

Comment

Really liking the ideas in this thread! Good fun!

It would be nice if somehow we could get what is now the Red Bulls P-38, back to Reno. I would love to see 'Ole Yeller' at least lead pace in a Bronze or Warbird race. What a hoot! Is going to be a pleasure to see it at Reno once more!

The Griffon powered Spit is always at the Top of my list, but I am excited to see Rod bringing the silver Tiger this year... i he going to run with the spinners on?? Hope so!

That battle between him, and 'The Rebel' last year was great. Looking forward to more. And The Corsair is very welcome as well.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
            Just for fun;

Which would be your top three Warbirds (or post-war era stockers) that you would enjoy seeing on the race course? Must be actual flying types, within the restored warbird community today.

I've always dreamed of the Tigercat, well that's become a reality... So my three might be:

Mk.XIV Spitfire - Was nice to witness at Phoenix...
            P-47 - Ditto to the above..
            Tempest/Typhoon

Could go on and on...

- Joseph
            I'm afraid those last two, Tempest/Typhoon, fall outside of your own guidelines for this thread! Too bad as I would just about give my right arm to see a flying example of the Tiffie. The Tempest is a real possibility in the not too distant future, albeit the Mk.II with a radial rather than the Sabre powered version. My top three would probably be these:

Mk.47 Seafire
            Lavochkin La-11 (although technically not currently flyable I guess)
            P-51H

Comment

Doesn't rumor have it, a running Sabre...at some near point?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
                P-51H
                YESSSS!!!!
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by rampking View Post
                  An Me-262 ! ( what's become of the aircraft which was at Ione ?)
                  It was damaged in an aborted take-off and subsequent off-runway excursion at Midland a few months back.

Comment

Hopefully it wasn't damaged to bad.
                    Brian
                    Last edited by supercub; 07-24-2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

There is, sadly, only one Typhoon still intact, & it is in the RAF museum..
                      Incredibly, the Brits scrapped EVERY Typhoon & Sabre-Tempest they had..
                      & that Typhoon was only saved because it was in the U.S.A...

It had been kept by the Smithsonian, & they kindly swapped it
                      [it was a Wright-Patterson test exchange unit] for a Hurricane,
                      after the Brits went begging, having belatedly realized their stupidity..

But..Kermit Weeks does have a Sabre Tempest on long term resto' to flying condition.

Comment

A Napier Sabre powered Tempest or Sabre-Fury would be a strong contender for fastest mil-spec [stocker/piston]warbird at Reno altitude..
                        Their 'laminar-flow' wing [ a change from the thick profile Typhoon] gave +~20mph, on the same power as the Typhoon..
                        Last edited by J.A.W.; 08-17-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

J2M3 or 5 Jack, KI-84 Frank, and a N1K1-J or N1K2-J George would make my life complete.
                          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Or a Kawasaki Ki 61 'Tony',
                            since they went pretty fast on not much power, & had a higher Vne [500+mph] than most Nippon contemporaries..

Comment

A 'Tony', an Mc 205 & an He 100 might make an interesting D-B powered line-up..

& that He 100 went pretty fast [460+] way back in the day..

Comment

Supposedly in 1946, the Air Force brought a captured Ki-84 to the US and tested it to its limits. By using 100 octane av-gas (unavailable to the Japanese) and super tuned by our techs, they surprisingly found the Ki-84 to be slightly faster than both the P-51D and P-47D at 20,050 feet. 426 MPH. That wouldn't matter at Reno but hey, we're dreaming here right?
                                Last edited by hm66sk; 08-18-2013, 12:09 AM.
                                "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                                X