P-38 Look Alike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-38 Look Alike?

Hi all, don't post much because my knowledge of planes is much less than my love of watching and listening to them! Growing up around the Mohave and Reno races (for a few years anyway), my stepdad Ray Poe lamented the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between a RR Merlin and any other engine. Again, just loved the sights and sounds!

Anyway, at work yesterday (Ferndale, WA) saw a very distinctive plane that had the tail look of the P-38. Didn't get a picture but it was flying around the Bellingham airport area. Told a coworker "Hey, that's a P-38" but then wasn't too sure as it looked...less substantial...than the P-38's I've seen pictures of.
    Are there other planes, perhaps civilian planes, that have the same/similar tail configuration as the Lightning?

Thanks all

Chad

Re: P-38 Look Alike?

Originally posted by ChadK View Post
    Hi all, don't post much because my knowledge of planes is much less than my love of watching and listening to them! Growing up around the Mohave and Reno races (for a few years anyway), my stepdad Ray Poe lamented the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between a RR Merlin and any other engine. Again, just loved the sights and sounds!

Anyway, at work yesterday (Ferndale, WA) saw a very distinctive plane that had the tail look of the P-38. Didn't get a picture but it was flying around the Bellingham airport area. Told a coworker "Hey, that's a P-38" but then wasn't too sure as it looked...less substantial...than the P-38's I've seen pictures of.
    Are there other planes, perhaps civilian planes, that have the same/similar tail configuration as the Lightning?

Thanks all

Chad
    Chad - Were the engines at the front of the booms? An OV-10 is configured like that. The other twin boom aircraft that came to mind was a Cessna Skymaster 337 (military O-2), but their engines are at the front and back of the fuselage. If you do some on-line searches for those two (OV-10 and C337 or O-2), you might narrow it down some.

Comment

Those were the only two I could think of unless it was one of the homebuilt scale look-a-likes. Or was a real one operating anywhere near, someone here may know.
      The P-38 has a vey distinctive sound, if you are geeky enough to recognize it...

But then, so does the OV-10 and the 337. I flew quite a few hours with my uncle in his Skymaster and now can recognize one long before I can see it!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
        I flew quite a few hours with my uncle in his Skymaster and now can recognize one long before I can see it!
        Boy, aint that the truth! There is a fish spotter who flies out of the area, you can tell who it is instantly when you hear him coming and going...(out to sea and back )
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Looking at pics of the OV-10, that looks really similar so thinking that's it. I only saw it from behind though. Didn't see it enough to see where the engines were. Not geeky enough I guess
          It was pretty noisy...we have planes flying overhead all the time as we are a stones throw from the airport on Slater Rd...so for me to pick it out it's usually pretty distinct.
          Thanks for the info everyone!

Chad

Comment

It could have been Jim O'Hara's 2/3 scale replica of a P-38.

Comment

Not geeky enough I guess
              You noticed it and posted. Definitely Geeky enough!
              Next, you'll be running through the house to see anything that sounds different.
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                You noticed it and posted. Definitely Geeky enough!
                Next, you'll be running through the house to see anything that sounds different.
                D'OH!!! hahahaha
                Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

See, with teenage daughters in the house, I already react to strange noises in the house!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChadK View Post
                    See, with teenage daughters in the house, I already react to strange noises in the house!!
                    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This thread started out on the subject of identifying aircraft, I've got to ask. Who owns the Hellcat in the Dodge truck commercial? Love how they pull it out of the grave yard and it's back in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                        This thread started out on the subject of identifying aircraft, I've got to ask. Who owns the Hellcat in the Dodge truck commercial? Love how they pull it out of the grave yard and it's back in the air.
                        CAF so cal "Minsi"
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

There was an Adam A500 on the ramp at Skagit when I was up there a month or so ago...

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            CAF so cal "Minsi"
                            It is the Hellcat that has been on display and has done formation flights at Reno. Unfortunately it was involved in a prop strike with a Raptor Ford truck on the ramp in either 2012 or 2014, but has returned in good shape after engine inspection and new prop. Congratulation to SoCal CAF on getting this rare bird back in the air.

Comment

If you can be at Reno during the week when it is in the pits (it has been for several years now) it is a great chance to get up close and personal to it and the Spitfire they bring.
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X