T-MINUS 1:20:00 And Counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-MINUS 1:20:00 And Counting

Hope folks can watch America's return to space today. First time we're launching Americans, from American soil, in a new American spacecraft since April 1981.

It's historic, folks.

WE'RE BAAAAACK!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: T-MINUS 1:20:00 And Counting

just scrubbed due to weather.....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Just like watching the Gemini and Apollo flights when I was a kid. A launch being scrubbed was nothing unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
        Just like watching the Gemini and Apollo flights when I was a kid. A launch being scrubbed was nothing unusual.
        Roger that....several times launches scrubbed. Some mechanical or systems related, but many due to WX.

Florida...no surprise.

Well, hopefully in our lifetimes we'll see Mojave Space Port bing used on a regular basis and that will go along way in eliminating WX-related scrubs!
        Owen Ashurst

Comment

My oldest grandson's third birthday is Saturday, so I'm hoping that Elon and Co. can give him a big, bright, beautiful candle to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
            My oldest grandson's third birthday is Saturday, so I'm hoping that Elon and Co. can give him a big, bright, beautiful candle to watch.
            Here, here! Happy Bday to the young man and fellow Gemini. Mine is Friday.
            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
              Roger that....several times launches scrubbed. Some mechanical or systems related, but many due to WX.

Florida...no surprise.

Well, hopefully in our lifetimes we'll see Mojave Space Port bing used on a regular basis and that will go along way in eliminating WX-related scrubs!
              Virgin Galactic moved to New Mexico...Virgin Orbit still lives here, for the time being. 'Cosmic Girl' flies over my house coming back from off-shore.

They left The Spaceship Company at KMHV
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

I was on the Telemetry Console for the 1st successful "ATLAS" ICBM launch in Florida back in th50's so I know a lot about delays.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                  I was on the Telemetry Console for the 1st successful "ATLAS" ICBM launch in Florida back in th50's so I know a lot about delays.
                  Bob, I trust you've been keeping some sort of diary, journal, etc. I don't know your history or story but suspect it's a very interesting one!

Write it down...if you haven't already.

Cheers!
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Jeez Bob! Is there ANYTHING aviation related you haven't done!?

My dad made watching launches and everything related to space a requirement. Even the first probe to the moon, I was probably in 1st or second grade, and we sat up all night until it impacted watching the moon get larger. He worked at Lockheed and anytime they had a launch out at Vandenburg we would sit out on the lawn to see it (we lived in Ontario).
                    He would even drag us outside at night to see the Gemini pass over, "It's that tiny moving light".

Even my wife was excited about this one and we were sad it was scrubbed, especially after they hours of hype. But as one talking head said, "A good day on the ground is better than a bad day in the air".
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I was at Vandenburg & the Cape with Convair on the "Atlas" Missile launches from 1955/1961 & then on to the "Titan" Missle with Martinuntil I joined Lockheed Missile & Space Company from 1966/1992. I also was on Launch Crews & Backup Crew on many of the good & the bad Launches. I guess I will have to write this all down
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Please do!
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I was at Vandenburg & the Cape with Convair on the "Atlas" Missile launches from 1955/1961 & then on to the "Titan" Missle with Martinuntil I joined Lockheed Missile & Space Company from 1966/1992. I also was on Launch Crews & Backup Crew on many of the good & the bad Launches. I guess I will have to write this all down
                          Yes...by all means! Or maybe better yet, sit down with someone and record (video or just audio) the timeline of your professional experience. That would be priceless stuff, Bob.

When I was a Docent at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, one of my fellow Docent's on the Saturday morning crew work with Werner von Braun at the Cape in the 60's. I'd show up every Sat AM about 90min prior to the Museum opening, two large Starbucks in hand, and the two of us would sit and talk. Well...he'd talk...I'd shut up and listen.

I'd really encourage you to give it a whirl, Bob. It would likely mean a lot to a lot of folks.
                          Owen Ashurst

Comment

Maybe we could take turns, facetime and build it for him?
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

What I struggled to understand about the Gemini Titan system is how they flew it without stablizing(sp) fins?

The Saturn 1, Saturn 1B and even the Saturn V had Fins. Also the Mercury/Redstone.

Comment

Working...
                              X