Let's have some fun speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's have some fun speculation

Whittingtons fielded a P-51H with a 5 blade way back when (rebuilt after it's 1978 crash landing at Reno). Didn't do that great if I remember but it was running a merlin.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Before the unfortunate landing incident, my bet was on Furias to be the next round-engine champ. Perhaps Matt Jackson can weigh in with his take on what Furias could have done?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        I don't believe a 4 Blade would work on a griffon, 600 cubic in more so would over-power the prop.

The contra rotating setup is off the shackleton long range patrol so it was developed for cruise power
        I think the Fairy Firefly runs a Griffon with a 4-blade prop?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
          Before the unfortunate landing incident, my bet was on Furias to be the next round-engine champ. Perhaps Matt Jackson can weigh in with his take on what Furias could have done?
          That was my hope too, if I remember correctly, Matt said that his 467 qual was only about 3/4 of race power, that being said there was plenty more get up and go to be used. Wish she was still out there, hope 232 can do some damage to the Merlins next year. Maybe they'll take the Bears engine and put it in 232 and bring the Bear with a 2800, can't do any worse right?

Sorry...
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            That was my hope too, if I remember correctly, Matt said that his 467 qual was only about 3/4 of race power, that being said there was plenty more get up and go to be used. Wish she was still out there, hope 232 can do some damage to the Merlins next year. Maybe they'll take the Bears engine and put it in 232 and bring the Bear with a 2800, can't do any worse right?

Sorry...
            Only damage 232 would do is if engine parts hit a 51 like shrapnel.........

Furias is an unknown for me, They did a beautiful job on her, however that is a big heavy airplane with a ****ton of wetted area. I am sure Matt or Dave F. would be able to enlighten us further.
            Only good part of that crash was Matt skipping away with nary a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
              I think the Fairy Firefly runs a Griffon with a 4-blade prop?
              It appears too, I would question diameter in a P-51 application though.

Comment

Why put a Griffon in a Mustang, when you can get a Spitfire that already has one. I would tend to think a 4 blade might help to as long as it isnt to hard to control.
                The Bear was fastest with a 3 blade.

Comment

Originally posted by rchevyman View Post
                  Why put a Griffon in a Mustang, when you can get a Spitfire that already has one. I would tend to think a 4 blade might help to as long as it isnt to hard to control.
                  The Bear was fastest with a 3 blade.
                  Spitfire is a tiny plane, not sure if it could carry the consumables.

Bear was fastest in May of 2012, with a 4 blade.
                  3 blade was cool, Harmonics were not.

Comment

ChrisMX105 beat me to the Spitfire comment. It's a tiny little airframe, and I suspect it's cooling arrangements are less efficient than a Mustang. Fun to think about though. Matt Jackson has previously communicated his impressions of Furias on this board. He certainly sounded enthusiastic.

At this stage, for the round brigade to get back on top, it seems to me they've got to last eight laps above 490. I want to be there when somebody does it.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                      Spitfire is a tiny plane, not sure if it could carry the consumables.
                      Also wing limited. It wasn't until the Spiteful that the basic airframe received a laminar flow wing, so I would start with one of those instead. But then the consumable demand would rise even further since those huge boxes hanging out in the breeze would need to be eliminated by going to boil-off...

Comment

Geeeeeez here we are with the boil off thing again. Everybody seems to think if you throw boil off on something it makes it a winner. There is a lot more to it then that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                          Geeeeeez here we are with the boil off thing again. Everybody seems to think if you throw boil off on something it makes it a winner. There is a lot more to it then that.
                          RB picked up 11MPH from boiloff, and that was just Oil...................

Comment

That's not where I was going, Mr. Wild Bill. The folks who designed the Mustang did an infinitely better job than the folks at Castle Bromwich with regards to the radiator setup and its drag effect on the airframe. When they shoehorned a Griffon into the Spitfire, they merely enlarged the already poor installation to the point of hanging a couple of very large boxes out of the bottom of the wing. May as well hang a couple of boat anchors out there. Given this starting point with the desire to eliminate a huge source of drag, what would you do, sir? Try and hang a P-51 style doghouse under the fuselage?? That, in my mind, would be silly. So, with regard to the subject matter (modifying the Spitfire for speed) I would choose boil-off. Replacing an already efficient system (as on the Mustang) with boil-off is another thing entirely and not what I was discussing here...
                            Last edited by RichH; 09-22-2014, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Yeah, boil off is huge!

The new crew of the Bear is so proud that they got rid of every Cornell engine mod, now they can run consistent 470's with a stock engine.

Please get it rid of the Cornell boil off, run consistent 460's.

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                                Also wing limited. It wasn't until the Spiteful that the basic airframe received a laminar flow wing, so I would start with one of those instead. But then the consumable demand would rise even further since those huge boxes hanging out in the breeze would need to be eliminated by going to boil-off...
                                Didn't even know Supermarine made something called a "Spiteful". That has to be the coolest name I've heard on an airplane and it looks bad a$$ to say the least. Wow would love to see one of those one day.
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X