Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racing a museum plane?

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Agreed Idaho, sadly RARA made an account on here and apparently never uses it anymore. If only they incorporated the ideas of us die hard fans that don't want to see the sport go away, rather than the "guys up top" that think losing unlimiteds will keep the crowd coming
    These are good suggestions like Joseph stated:

Imagine the Pits squeezing tighter and tighter, as Restored Mustangs, Bearcats', P-40's and more once again filled the tarmac.

This way... When Strega fails to qualify, none of the slower guys need to complain.. Because Strega won't be bumped down to one of their ONLY RACES, but rather stay within the 'Unlimited', allowing the 'limited' guys to have a lot more fun, without needing to get lapped twice!

C'mon RARA, I hope you're listening.

They haven't even updated there Website, maybe one person is stretched too thin, spending all free time jabbering on FB?

A full pit would be nice. Years back we could spend hours walking every row, now there not much there, you can cut through all the empty spaces and say, gosh I'm done with one pass, is that all thats here ????

This year I'm thinking I may actually go East and check out couple of the salt flats events (all depends on salt conditions)

Last edited by Desertdawg; 08-18-2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Had a little conversation over the phone with Smoot himself, he's the president (?) of the unlimited class and is trying to get things figured out so these disputes with RARA quit happening. I didn't want to bring the bad news but someone was going to have to say it
      Sherman will be there in his T-28 (not racing) but at least he will be present.
      Thanks for the info! Do you know if these same issues are the ones keeping some of the other unlimiteds like Rod's tigercats away this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
        I really think there needs to be a big incentive from RARA to include the Warbird community more..

There should be the Unlimited Class
        and the Limited class.

Owners/pilots would enter an aircraft in one or the other.. If your aircraft wasn't capable of a 380mph+ lap, it should be entered in the 'Limited' class. (There would be a small governing bias, to ensure this).

RARA would stat by offering deluxe accommodations for Owner/Pilot and crew of 5 per aircraft. Pay for all the fluids. And offer prize incentive as well.

Imagine the Pits squeezing tighter and tighter, as Restored Mustangs, Bearcats', P-40's and more once again filled the tarmac.

This way... When Strega fails to qualify, none of the slower guys need to complain.. Because Strega won't be bumped down to one of their ONLY RACES, but rather stay within the 'Unlimited', allowing the 'limited' guys to have a lot more fun, without needing to get lapped twice!

C'mon RARA, I hope you're listening.

- Joseph
        How do you propose to pay for that?

Are you going to take prize money away from other classes (or just flat out eliminate other classes) to pay for it?

Are you going to eliminate aerobatic acts (and keep in mind that they run the acts between the races to allow for launch/recovery) to pay for it?

Are you going to raise ticket prices to pay for that?

Everyone already is critical that RARA isn't spending money on advertising. Now you want to spend more money that they don't have?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          How do you propose to pay for that?

Are you going to take prize money away from other classes (or just flat out eliminate other classes) to pay for it?

Are you going to eliminate aerobatic acts (and keep in mind that they run the acts between the races to allow for launch/recovery) to pay for it?

Are you going to raise ticket prices to pay for that?

Everyone already is critical that RARA isn't spending money on advertising. Now you want to spend more money that they don't have?
          It's a pointless pursuit, otherwise known as a hobby. A big dick-swinging contest in the desert, but hobbies cost money. If the races end I'm pretty sure the ones balls deep into their airplanes will figure out how to meet with their contemporaries somewhere to shake the dust off of a couple of sticks set out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think they care if anybody is watching. Racers are a rare breed, they don't give a F@$#.

Comment

Forming a new "Limited Class", as Desertdawg says, with warbirds filling the pits, would also bring more espectators and you don´t have to use all the money from the other classes. May be you have to make some investment at the beginning until the event is well known and it would be a good push to the main sport. Just MHO.

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
              Forming a new "Limited Class", as Desertdawg says, with warbirds filling the pits, would also bring more espectators and you don´t have to use all the money from the other classes. May be you have to make some investment at the beginning until the event is well known and it would be a good push to the main sport. Just MHO.
              Heck, I think just having a lot more of these old Warbirds on display, (even if they don't race), would (or could) be be a huge crowd draw. Oshkosh has milked this idea for what it's worth for several years now.

What went wrong when the Collings Foundation showed up at Reno a while back? Another some one dropped the ball type of deal? I forget. Somehow they could not sell rides? Anyone know or remember what I am talking about?

I am sorry, but I think most people soon get tired of some little Extra 300 or whatever doing aerobatics. The first time or two, yeah, WOW, absolutely amazing. After that, "someone please shoot that annoying thing down!" can be heard.
              But now something like Bob Hoover in 'Ol Yeller, I would NEVER get tired of that...

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                Heck, I think just having a lot more of these old Warbirds on display, (even if they don't race), would (or could) be be a huge crowd draw. Oshkosh has milked this idea for what it's worth for several years now.

What went wrong when the Collings Foundation showed up at Reno a while back? Another some one dropped the ball type of deal? I forget. Somehow they could not sell rides? Anyone know or remember what I am talking about?

I am sorry, but I think most people soon get tired of some little Extra 300 or whatever doing aerobatics. The first time or two, yeah, WOW, absolutely amazing. After that, "someone please shoot that annoying thing down!" can be heard.
                But now something like Bob Hoover in 'Ol Yeller, I would NEVER get tired of that...
                Some asshat from the city kept changing the insurance requirements that Collings needed to have. To the point Collings couldn't call their broker fast enough That was no part of NCAR anyway; it was another weekend.

I think the big issue here with the whole event is you have three or four groups of people that all want the sandbox run their own way. Every time there is a disagreement one of them threatens to take the shiny red ball and leave. That is an unsustainable attitude to have. Sponsors don't like it, TV doesn't like it... Nobody likes it! It is viewed as bush league by the folks that might want to come in and throw money at you. Market yourself as a failing broke event for over two decades and nobody is going to support you.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY can some of the other 'acts'. There's 50 shows across the states where someone can watch one of these perform. Can them - give more time for racing.. and for crying out loud, support the big Iron.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                    ABSOLUTELY can some of the other 'acts'. There's 50 shows across the states where someone can watch one of these perform. Can them - give more time for racing.. and for crying out loud, support the big Iron.

- Joseph
                    From a logistics standpoint, that is not realistic. If Owen Ashurst reads this he'll tell you the same thing. If you did that, you would have long amounts of 'dead time' between launching and recovering the various racing. Dead time kills crowds and makes them not come back. The problem here is that you're talking about catering a show to the 5,000 or so of us fans that would show up and be okay with that dead time.

It's the OTHER 80% of the fans that are casual fans, that enjoy the novelty of the airshow acts, who the show is catered to....because they are the majority of the people paying cash at the gate.

Comment

Have you noticed when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels are there, after their show the stands nearly empty? That is what puts butts in the seats so we can see racing. $$$

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
                        Have you noticed when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels are there, after their show the stands nearly empty? That is what puts butts in the seats so we can see racing. $$$
                        Drraaagging this thread yet further .... it's kind of a head scratcher how a small show can get the TBirds but a premier event like RENO goes hungry for one of the BIG jet acts once again.

Still FURTHER , got "assignment" to cover race week for Atlantic Flyer (http://www.atlanticflyer.net) but have yet to hear back on my press credential request... HOPING that I'll be there this year to help promote the sport to the East coast potential fans!

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The major Military Teams do NOT come FREE!!!
                          Your taxes do not pay for them to appear.
                          The venue hosting them has to pay the freight.
                          A venue applies many years out, and is lucky (?) to get on the list. It does give them timje to raise that $$$$, and if
                          not, has to cut corners somewhere else.
                          Each gets a room, a car, and not is not just the team of 6 planes. Their crew, their mechanics, their fuel, etc., etc., etc.. Plus the paper work connected to their practice and performance. Been behind the scene and know where-of I speak, so please lighten up on the RARA bashing, and do something positive, like writing RARA concrete ideas and source of sponsorship ideas, maybe even donate directly to RARA, especially since they are now a 501(c)3 NOT FOR PROFIT organization

PS: Did you notice they did not raise the price of the tickets (again) this year?

Comment

I think the ticket prices are two low considering I pay $100 per person for a one day motocross race.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                              The major Military Teams do NOT come FREE!!!
                              Your taxes do not pay for them to appear.
                              The venue hosting them has to pay the freight.
                              A venue applies many years out, and is lucky (?) to get on the list. It does give them timje to raise that $$$$, and if
                              not, has to cut corners somewhere else.
                              Each gets a room, a car, and not is not just the team of 6 planes. Their crew, their mechanics, their fuel, etc., etc., etc.. Plus the paper work connected to their practice and performance. Been behind the scene and know where-of I speak, so please lighten up on the RARA bashing, and do something positive, like writing RARA concrete ideas and source of sponsorship ideas, maybe even donate directly to RARA, especially since they are now a 501(c)3 NOT FOR PROFIT organization

PS: Did you notice they did not raise the price of the tickets (again) this year?
                              Agreed, the RARA bashing is a little harsh considering that the races really shouldn't have gone past 2011... I agree with writing to RARA ideas!
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                                Drraaagging this thread yet further .... it's kind of a head scratcher how a small show can get the TBirds but a premier event like RENO goes hungry for one of the BIG jet acts once again.

Still FURTHER , got "assignment" to cover race week for Atlantic Flyer (http://www.atlanticflyer.net) but have yet to hear back on my press credential request... HOPING that I'll be there this year to help promote the sport to the East coast potential fans!

That "small show" got the Thunderbirds by being proactive at the right time. The T-Birds were forced to cancel another scheduled show and the Minden guys jumped on the opportunity as it happened. They probably had it locked down before most people even knew of the cancellation.

Comment

Working...
                                X