300 mph rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 mph rule

In recent years hasn't there been a rule that Unlimiteds must qualify at over 300 mph to race? So far I see 5 airplanes under that line...

Neal

Re: 300 mph rule

I think that was more of a full field or close measure. With the new timing as well, the Spitfire (last) would actually have qualified at 295 any previous year. I don't think they're gonna care about 5 mph.

Simply put if RARA doesn't let them race then there's a real issue here
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Qualifing speed was lowered to 275 this year
      Jim Adams
      Blue Thunder 2 crew
      Picabo race 51 crew
      Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

I had not heard that -- Thanks.

Reno's "Rules" have always been a bit flexible anyway. Given the lack of prize money I think this was a great thing to do. It's helped make for a very interesting field this year. Kinda wish I was there.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by rc38pilot View Post
          Qualifing speed was lowered to 275 this year
          They should change the name of the event from Reno Air Races to Reno Airshow.It's sad when RARA has to pay the group from Texas show up and "race" their aircraft to fill the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by krts View Post
            They should change the name of the event from Reno Air Races to Reno Airshow.It's sad when RARA has to pay the group from Texas show up and "race" their aircraft to fill the seats.
            ...nevermind
            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

What???

I see nothing wrong with this. People will still come here to race planes and test their limits. Bring on more museum planes to attend and grace our skies. The living history along with hearing and seeing them fly is priceless.
              As I mention before, we need a Museum Class.

Make an effort to attend, you will not be disappointed!
              Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-13-2017, 08:58 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

What timing, as soon as I submitted my reply, I hear all kinds of warbirds in the air.

So I run out of the house, its Betty's Dream and all the Texas Flying Legends planes.

What a sight and sound to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                  What???

I see nothing wrong with this. People will still come here to race planes and test their limits. Bring on more museum planes to attend and grace our skies. The living history along with hearing and seeing them fly is priceless.
                  As I mention before, we need a Museum Class.

Make an effort to attend, you will not be disappointed!

It's a perspective thing. I have the same sort of feelings. This will be my 37th year of attendance. When you have the 80's and 90's as a frame of reference, the last decade can feel pretty lack luster for RACING. Air shows are all over the place. There is only one air race.

We all love airplanes, and this is a chance to see some of those airplanes we love in a different way, and it light years better than nothing, but its tough to see something you love essentially dying.

Comment

krts, it's considered kind of bad form to enter a discussion forum with your first two posts being negative and not contribute anything.. I love diversity of opinion here, but I do hope you wind up on a more positive track in your future postings.. We are here to PROMOTE the grand sport of Pylon Air Racing, important fact to remember...

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      krts, it's considered kind of bad form to enter a discussion forum with your first two posts being negative and not contribute anything.. I love diversity of opinion here, but I do hope you wind up on a more positive track in your future postings.. We are here to PROMOTE the grand sport of Pylon Air Racing, important fact to remember...

Thank you Wayne! Your reply was much more politically correct than what I started typing. And I agree with you 100%
                      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                        Thank you Wayne! Your reply was much more politically correct than what I started typing. And I agree with you 100%
                        After attending a condo association BOD meeting tonight and unloading a bunch of pent up frustration for a bunch of folks who have been intimidated homeowners...

I'll say, I wish I was as able to restrain my lips and formulate cohesive thoughts as well as I can with my fingertips...

Don't always do so well there either! LOL!

Hope the new user stays here and contributes.., It is possible they are deeply involved and just frustrated with the process. We all can catch more flies with honey than a big 'ol swatter!

Off to bed so I can tolerate the chamber tomorrow! UG!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Personally I thought the TFL show was more in keeping with the spirit of the races than many of the stuff they have paraded in front of us in years. I loved it!
                          And to see some of those aircraft take the course, even as a bronze "race" exhibition was very nice.
                          I've only missed two years since 76 and have seen it wax and wane. This year was A-OK in my book. Sure I miss the days of a full field shoot-out but it was still a great gold race. Kudos to RARA.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            Personally I thought the TFL show was more in keeping with the spirit of the races than many of the stuff they have paraded in front of us in years. I loved it!
                            And to see some of those aircraft take the course, even as a bronze "race" exhibition was very nice.
                            I've only missed two years since 76 and have seen it wax and wane. This year was A-OK in my book. Sure I miss the days of a full field shoot-out but it was still a great gold race. Kudos to RARA.

EXACTLY. It was far better than many of the mid-tier acro acts they have had in the past.

Comment

I'll take all those warbirds on the course all day long, especially over some jet demo team. Not that I don't enjoy a jet demo team but, the last couple of years have seen an entire hour+ dedicated to one jet act and only two Unlimited races per day with none on Thursday. I honestly cant stand that. The races should be about the racing IMO. That being said, I really enjoyed the program this year. The TFL guys "headlining" was awesome. A great variety of planes that they flew the crap out of. Short and sweet and right back to racing. Way more enjoyable to me than any jet team I've seen. Ever. Maybe. Then to see them run them around the course was icing on the gravy.

As a side bar, EVERY SHOW PERFORMANCE/DEMO SHOULD HAVE TO DO A LAP! ARE YOU LISTENING RARA!?
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X