Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAY OFF TOPIC- B-17 Propeller

Hi all,

I'm hoping that I might be able to get some guidance on something I recently purchased. I came across a B-17 propeller assembly recently and decided I couldn't live without it. This was my grandfather's favorite plane that he flew during the war, so it has a very personal connection to me. I've learned a lot about the plane that this propeller was taken from and I'll post that information below. What I'm hoping to try and find out is when this particular propeller was made and where. I know Hamilton Standard was based out of Connecticut but didn't know if they manufactured propellers all over. The only thing I have to go off of is a stencil that was included with the propeller assembly. It lists a DWG.NO. 6477-0, MFG.NO. P28416 and a Low Angle 26.0 and High Angle of 64.0. Then there are two other MFG NO's of P28417 and P28418. I'm assuming the three manufacturing numbers are for each of the propeller blades. Would love to hear if anyone has any information that could help me find out when this propeller was actually built. This is such a cool piece of aviation history and I'd love to learn as much about it as I can. I plan on putting it together and hanging it in a hangar or something like that.

Here is what the seller listed when I bought it:

"WW2 B-17 Propeller Assembly From Tail 42-3374 (now 42-30230 Homesick Angel). I recently had the privilege of meeting a former Navy aviator who spent some time in the late 1980's reskinning a B-17 at Beale AFB for their museum. He stated that he was contacted by someone from the base museum because they heard about his experience working on WW2 warbirds. He agreed to complete the reskinning so that the plane could be made into a static display. With the help of a crew provided by the USAF it was completed in the late 1980's. Sometime near completion a General from Offutt AFB in Nebraska came to visit. Once he saw the B-17 he wanted it to display at his base. I was told that Offutt AFB traded one of their planes to Beale for the B-17. The original tail # was 42-3374 and once redone was redesignated 42-30230 "Homesick Angel". The gentleman took this propeller assembly off and replaced with a different one. Since he was a volunteer they let him keep it and he has brought the propeller with him from CA to TX and now SC. Great story and even greater piece that you won't find again! The propeller blades are made by Hamilton Standard Propellers. Museum quality!"

Here is a website I found that talks about the same story mentioned above and the reskinning process it went through. It is named Homesick Angel, sharing a name of a different Fortress that spent time in the theater. This plane never made it overseas. There is an interesting race connection here in that this was owned for a while by the Planes of Fame Air Museum.

The Midwestern gate guard stands in for a storied six-mission bomber. The Boeing B-17F that serves as a gate guard at Offutt Air Force Base never saw

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-17 Propeller 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	841.9 KB
ID:	242819Click image for larger version

Name:	B-17 Propeller 2.jpg
Size:	923.9 KB
ID:	242820Click image for larger version

Name:	B-17 Propeller 3.jpg
Size:	967.3 KB
ID:	242821Click image for larger version

Name:	B-17 Propeller 4.jpg
Size:	921.1 KB
ID:	242822
    Last edited by PowerByPackard; 12-07-2022, 11:15 AM.
Working...
X