Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Delicate Matter - Can You Assist

http://www.gypsymothproductions.com/...propeller.html

I was contacted yesterday by a woman (Christine Lazzarini) who is producing a documentary about the people intimately involved in the Galloping Ghost accident...victims, survivors and first responders and the like. She was seeking my permission to us an image of mine in her production and to RARA's credit, they referred her to me directly to gain a release. As we all know, that's doesn't always happen in the photography world.

In any event, Christine is also seeking footage taken on that tragic day and is trying contact those who took the footage. She is aware of the several avenues out there (FB, Vimeo, YouTube, etc.) and I suggested contacting the local affiliates of ABC, NBC, CBS who used some of that footage to see if there's a way to contact those folks who posted those various videos. I can't help her in that regard but it crossed my mind that perhaps some of our AAFO'ers may be able to redirect her so she can gain the releases necessary. She doesn't want to use any images or footage without the proper releases.

I am aware this may be a delicate situation given the subject matter. I did a little due diligence before agreeing to allow her to use my image of the Ghost, but the use of video footage is a bit more intense. This is only my gut but she does seem to me to be well-meaning. The distribution will be streaming and DVD later this spring.

Thanks in advance. You can PM me if you prefer.

Cheers,
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: A Delicate Matter - Can You Assist

I may get flamed for this, but to me, after reading the information on the website, this is more of a Dr. Phil type of situation. It was an horrific, tragic event. People who witnessed it, lost friends/loved ones in the accident, or were in other ways affected by it, I would bet, have already dealt with it in their own ways. To rehash this, put more pics, footage, "eyewitness" accounts, whatever, up on a website for all to see, well I just don't see what good it will do. To each their own, but I really don't get the need for this unless someone is trying to make a profit in some way. Thus endeth the rant.

Comment

Believe me...I struggled with posting ANYTHING related to this...in every way. And I share your perspective. That said, in the end, I felt this may give some folks another avenue to express themselves. Frankly, as tragic as this was (I knew Jimmy to some degree, but not on a personal level), it pales in comparison to say, 9/11. Not drawing comparisons per se, but as a mass casualty event, it doesn't rise to that level.

I believe Christine's intent is to tell the story and show how the human spirit can rise above the tragic circumstances. I may be wrong...and I can live with that. But to study how the human experience deals with tragedy may very well be beneficial to understanding our experience, overall.

I respect your opinion and thank you for your feedback. We each, individually, deal with tragedy in our own way. There is not right or wrong answer here...thank your contributing to the discussion.
      Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
        I may get flamed for this, but to me, after reading the information on the website, this is more of a Dr. Phil type of situation. It was an horrific, tragic event. People who witnessed it, lost friends/loved ones in the accident, or were in other ways affected by it, I would bet, have already dealt with it in their own ways. To rehash this, put more pics, footage, "eyewitness" accounts, whatever, up on a website for all to see, well I just don't see what good it will do. To each their own, but I really don't get the need for this unless someone is trying to make a profit in some way. Thus endeth the rant.
        I agree with this 100%. That event needs to be left in the past. Period.

Comment

We all have our opinions. I'm not supporting or rejecting the project. That said, it does seem a bit of head in the sands approach to say, essentially, it never happened or we're never going to talk about it or mention it again. The approach here, as I understand it, is to convey how we deal with tragedy and come out the other side.

I respect all opinions from all corners. Fact remains, the documentary will be produced and distributed. And, human nature being what it is, I suspect, whether folks here will admitted it or not, many on here will view it.
          Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            I agree with this 100%. That event needs to be left in the past. Period.
            Agreed. The survivors and families of those who were lost are the reason that we still have a Reno Air Race. Thanks to their dedication and love for the sport we still have the greatest Motorsport of all time. Leave it in the past, it happened and it was awful. Any of us that were there would rather it never be mentioned. I’m honestly surprised there are people out there who still want to I talk about it, “grieving” or not...
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

If someone wants to talk about it, then by all means, talk about it. It happened. It's a part of history. Is it not to be mentioned if an Air Racing history book is published? As long as respect and accuracy are adhered to, have at it. I respect others' opinions. This is mine.

Comment

MMmmmm yes, a delicate matter indeed....

My take here is folks “don’t want to remember the horror of the accident”. This is different from “pretending it never happened”. People are resilient creatures and can adapt to almost anything, but a little PTSD is in all of us when it comes to traumatic events.

Jimmy’s accident was the NCAR’s 9-11, literally. Ask an eyewitness to 9-11 if they find value in reliving 9-11. You won’t find one. I hope the producers of this film are respectful and that they don’t have a hidden agenda.
                '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

I was also contacted and refused to let them use my pictures.

Comment

I would be surprised if anything positive for air racing could ever come from this.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
                      I was also contacted and refused to let them use my pictures.
                      Thought about it as well. After some conversation with the producer, reviewing her previous work, and a trailer for the project I felt fairly comfortable in doing so. This seems to be much more about how family and friends deal with tragedy than rehashing the event in detail.

Time will tell...and respect all opinions.
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

I agree with Air Judge. They still show & talk about the Space Shuttle disasters, the sinking of the Titanic, the Hindenburg going down, 911 photos, etc. All of these really happened & it is all how the Galloping Ghost incident is presented. Maybe we will all learn something about human nature. " Remember Pearl Harbor".
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

I was still in college in 2011 so I wasn't there, but reading about Galloping Ghost and seeing the videos on the news is how I learned about Reno. It makes for a sad story when people ask me how I got involved, but "it is what it is" and I can't go back and change it.

All I can say is I've met a lot of amazing people since then, and Reno has become a significant part of my life.
                          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                            The approach here, as I understand it, is to convey how we deal with tragedy and come out the other side.
                            There is no reason this cannot be accomplished without showing a snuff film as part of it.

People are STILL dealing with this, and yet to come out the other side. I see no reason to include footage and pictures of the crash for a reason other than to increase viewership by way of those interested in the morbid.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                              There is no reason this cannot be accomplished without showing a snuff film as part of it.

People are STILL dealing with this, and yet to come out the other side. I see no reason to include footage and pictures of the crash for a reason other than to increase viewership by way of those interested in the morbid.
                              Perhaps you would do well to conduct a little due diligence in what a "snuff film" is before you opine. Your comment does a disservices and is insulting to those lost, injured, and the family and friends of all involved. Strange that you hold yourself up in support of those still dealing with the tragedy but choose to use terminology that is actually harmful.

Moreover, this project is not about reliving the accident. It's about dealing with the aftermath and perseverance of the human spirit. Perhaps we should all withhold judgment until the project is completed.

Not here carrying water for the producer. All I asked was if anyone could provide some contact information. In classic style, people get their panties in a bunch and blast out uninformed, knee-jerk comments that serve no purpose other than to make themselves seem holier-than-thou...

Please tell me...how does this differ from any other MCE that this country has endured over time. You know...the ones that were actually the murder of innocents. I suppose you and others have never watched a single minute of any 9/11 footage, correct? Spare me your pontification....
                              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Working...
                              X