Rare Bear and 232 Status??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear and 232 Status??

Just curious what's going on with these two racers. Is Rare Bear still at Stead? Is it going back to Texas for work or will it stay at Reno this year?
    Is 232 still at Reno....what's going on with the induction repair? Was their any other damage done to the airframe? How bout the engine, any internal damage?
    Thanks
    Brian

Re: Rare Bear and 232 Status??

2-3-2 is at Sanders for repairs. That's all I got.

Comment

From what I could see at Reno, damage to both horizontal stab leading edges, extensively damaged upper cowling, crack in the spinner extending from one of the blade cut-outs, and the internal vanes of the induction were ripped from their weld(s). When we talked to the crew, sounded like they weren't sure about damage to the engine yet.
      I can't imagine that the engine escaped unscathed though.

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
        From what I could see at Reno, damage to both horizontal stab leading edges, extensively damaged upper cowling, crack in the spinner extending from one of the blade cut-outs, and the internal vanes of the induction were ripped from their weld(s). When we talked to the crew, sounded like they weren't sure about damage to the engine yet.
        The blower probably took most of the damage. Cylinders may have suffered some damage as well. As long as the case and nose case made it the rest should be rebuildable.

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
          The blower probably took most of the damage. Cylinders may have suffered some damage as well. As long as the case and nose case made it the rest should be rebuildable.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
            I would venture to guess that the engine sneezed from burning a valve and not from the scoop blowing off. I might be wrong, but I think the scoop was blown off as a result of the valving failing followed by a giant sneeze!!!!!
            . Just a comment from the cheap seats.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
              I would venture to guess that the engine sneezed from burning a valve and not from the scoop blowing off. I might be wrong, but I think the scoop was blown off as a result of the valving failing followed by a giant sneeze!!!!!

MJ
              As I understood it from JD--based on what Hoot said and the onboard stuff--the scoop failed first and two chunks were ingested down the induction trunk but got stuck, choking off the carb. When the engine sneezed it blew those chunks back 'out'.

From the even cheaper seats.

Comment

MJ
                Thats the first time I heard of a mustang referred to as a 'cheap seat'.

If that's a cheap seat then I want one too. ;-)

Cheers,
                Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Thats the first time I heard of a mustang referred to as a 'cheap seat'.

If that's a cheap seat then I want one too. ;-)

Cheers,
                  Pete
                  Considering the amount of money Mr. Lewis has spent putting engines in 232 alone.....

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                    Considering the amount of money Mr. Lewis has spent putting engines in 232 alone.....
                    That's nothing compared to the amount of money he spent on Rare Bear engines with you and the previous crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
                      Wow it only took 10 posts for this to devolve into yet another RB pissing contest.

Really Bigger?? Don't see that here...

Regarding money spent though, if you calculate the *ability* to spend; Current owner, versus Lyle, by a magnitude of many multiples, Lyle spent FAR more of his percentage of "ability to spend" than Rod ever has..

Please don't take this as any sort of slam to Mr. Lewis, I know him personally, we're two members of a small club that no one wants to join.. (throat cancer, both of us in '04, same LONG HARD treatment)... His ability to spend is very, very deep, indeed! His financial backing of the sport over the past few years breathed a lot of life into what might have been a "no more racing" situation.

Now, back on topic... Hoot is a wonderful guy, REALLY a good stick...232 a great airplane with a loyal following.. it was a shame what went down when he lost the scoop.... Really, two major contenders were dealt unexpected blows that would be hard to come back from. One made it, the other, too much damage.

I'm looking forward to another good year of off season work/rumors/anticipation/ then onto PRS and RENO '14!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
                        Maybe I misunderstood the intent of the posts. If so, apologies to those involved.
                        Hey Bigger, I know you, I know you never stir the pot! I could be off on my take as well! You're always a welcome, level headed contributor here!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          level headed contributor here!
                          Did somebody call my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            Did somebody call my name?
                            LOL... don't get me started...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

MJ

After watching the video the team released, I agree. The on-board shot shows the flame coming out of the exhaust before the scoop pieces hit the canopy.

Comment

Working...
                              X